Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Oh

and yes....have two 300 BLK's

An Aero Precision AR & Ruger Ranch

Pretty much same/same here. 16" AR, and Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It's a neat little round. Also have a couple boxes of the Barnes 120gr TAC-TX on the reloading bench.

Yes........the Ruger 300 BLK is a kool rifle/cartridge to mess around with

Agree with Brad...my last Utah late bull I used a 308 & 180 gr Swift bullets

Two quick shots @ 90 yards and he never left his bed

pic....Ruger BLK.......great close cover coyote rifle with 110 V max or Noslers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by tikkanut; 10/09/22.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Elkbelch
The closest experience I have was a 7mm T/cu with a 120 gr NBT at 30 yards on a large whitetail buck broadside. I had good lung blood for a while then it dwindled to small spots. I believe I hit a rib and didn't get penetration to both lungs. Never recovered the buck. This was from a 14" Contender with a scope and is very accurate with that load. We tracked the deer for a very long way before we lost all blood. If you know you can do it' why ask an internet forum for others experience? You had to know the answers you would get. The mono bullet will help if you get the expansion you need. I would still feel better with the 30-30 170 gr but I have no elk experience with that either. I did kill a bull with a 230 gn 54 cal round ball at 110 yards.

Shawn
Years ago I used a 7 br for deer alot, I switched from 120 gr Nosler to 140 gr Nos BT because it killed better with more expansion. Seems counter productive but the 120 gr bullet is tougher and Does not work as well out of single shot pistols.....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Oh

Pretty much same/same here. 16" AR, and Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It's a neat little round. Also have a couple boxes of the Barnes 120gr TAC-TX on the reloading bench.

Nice pic.

Mine,

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Oh

Nice pic.

Mine,

Looks like mine.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole
OP is a damned fool pot stirrer.

Next he'll tell us why Biden is the greatest US President ever.

He's going on ignore, you all should do the same.

I heard that it "takes one to know one" Mr. Pole (Larry Root)
You're pretty well known for trolling and stirring the pot.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hmm. I have never even used a 270 to shoot an elk ( I like more power) but plenty of people have. If we are talking about a 300 blackout, seems like he would be fine out to a max of say 200 yards. It should still have about 1700 ft lbs at 200 yards. Yes he will have to pick his shots carefully but I can see it would work very well if he is careful about shot placement.

Venor ergo sum
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Hmm. I have never even used a 270 to shoot an elk ( I like more power) but plenty of people have. If we are talking about a 300 blackout, seems like he would be fine out to a max of say 200 yards. It should still have about 1700 ft lbs at 200 yards. Yes he will have to pick his shots carefully but I can see it would work very well if he is careful about shot placement.

The 300BO will push the 120gr TAC-TX to about 2200 fps in a 16" barrel.

That's 1300 ft-lbs at the muzzle, about 1080 ft-lbs at 100 yards, and 900 ft-lbs at 200 yards.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Oh wow. I thought I was looking at ft lbs and was really looking at velocity. At those corrected numbers, I have to concur with everyone: the 300 BO is not an elk cartridge. At 100 yards or less, IF you make a perfect double lung shot, it may prove to be adequate. But unless I could hold the muzzle at point blank range, no way would I use that rifle.

Pigs are reported to be tough, and the are: I have killed a ton of them, but they are not anywhere close to as big and tough as an elk. And if I shoot a pig and he runs off to die: so what. They are in the same category as coyotes.

As stated: they WILL die….. eventually.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/10/22.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd like to think any legal elk cartridge (300BO/762x39, 243 Win/6 Creed, etc) used within its effective range (and appropriate bullet!) is far more lethal than an arrow. I have a retired uncle who guides dozens of elk hunts for friends and family. He gave up archery elk years ago when he arrowed a cow in the rib, ran out of arrows chasing her, finally caught up to her when she got hung up in some rocks, and finished her off by driving the broken shaft into her lung with his finger. He's hunted with a rifle ever since. (I have nothing against archery hunting elk btw).

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
Glad CPW determines what cartridge is legal rather than conventional wisdom. Using the best ammo available for this application will hopefully mitigate things "going wrong."

LOL.

CPW knows everything. It’s as good as the word of God. I’m so glad they settled it and we don’t have to discuss further.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Glad CPW determines what cartridge is legal rather than conventional wisdom. Using the best ammo available for this application will hopefully mitigate things "going wrong."

LOL.

CPW knows everything. It’s as good as the word of God. I’m so glad they settled it and we don’t have to discuss further.

So true, CPW allows a 300 BLK, but not a 22-250 or Swift. I'd rather use either of those on elk than the 300 BLK...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Brad

LOL.

So true, CPW allows a 300 BLK, but not a 22-250 or Swift. I'd rather use either of those on elk than the 300 BLK...

That doesn't make any sense to me. How exactly would 22-250 be better for elk at close range than 300BO? Be specific, please.

I've killed elk like most of you or we wouldn't be on this thread. Most of us already know that killing power for larger game animals like elk is a function of penetration and wound channel. Penetration is a function of bullet sectional density and weight retention. Wound channel is a function of caliber and bullet expansion.

Assuming 22-250 is using the heaviest controlled expansion bullet available, it probably would penetrate similarly to the 300BO with Barnes 120gr. But the 300BO would leave a much wider diameter wound channel, making it a far superior choice over the 22-250 for elk.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/10/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No sense arguing with this loon, he knows it all. I'm blocking and moving on so as not to stroke his BIG ego!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds like more opinions than experience in this case. The only reason I'm going down this road is because 300 blk with modern solid copper 120gr bullets retain 100% of their weight and penetrate the same as 30-30 Win with 170gr CoreLokt (which has killed a pile of elk in the timber).

I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

Do yourself, (and the Elk) a favor and leave the 300 with the 8.4" long suppressor at home and bring your 308 with the 18" barrel. The 308 is plenty short to maneuver well in the brush. And even if there is a slim chance of breaking out into an opening and spotting an Elk out just past 200yds you will be glad you have it. I wouldn't risk an opportunity that may present itself. They are not always where you think they are gonna be. I killed a Bull Elk at 286yds thinking where I was hunting my shot would be under 100yds. I'm glad I had enough gun. Just saying, Its your tag. Good Luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LOL.

That doesn't make any sense to me. How exactly would 22-250 be better for elk at close range than 300BO? Be specific, please.

I've killed elk like most of you or we wouldn't be on this thread. Most of us already know that killing power for larger game animals like elk is a function of penetration and wound channel. Penetration is a function of bullet sectional density and weight retention. Wound channel is a function of caliber and bullet expansion.

Assuming 22-250 is using the heaviest controlled expansion bullet available, it probably would penetrate similarly to the 300BO with Barnes 120gr. But the 300BO would leave a much wider diameter wound channel, making it a far superior choice over the 22-250 for elk.

Hmm. SD for a .224/70 is .199 and for a .308/120 it’s .181.

So the 300 BLK is losing the SD war and really sucking hind tit when it comes to velocity and energy. Sure, it wins in frontal diameter, but velocity is what really churns up their insides and creates tissue damage outside of the actual path of the bullet.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

LOL.

So the 300 BLK is losing the SD war and really sucking hind tit when it comes to velocity and energy. Sure, it wins in frontal diameter, but velocity is what really churns up their insides and creates tissue damage outside of the actual path of the bullet.

The 300BO has plenty of velocity for "churning" inside its effective range (just like the 45-70). I took my first elk 17 years ago at 500 yards with a 338-06. The 210gr Partition was going approx 2,700 FPS at the muzzle and 1,950 FPS at the elk. I hit her broadside in the heart twice before she tipped over dead in her tracks. Both bullets recovered against the hide on the opposite side with perfect mushrooms.

The 300BO is going 2,100 FPS at the muzzle and is still going 1,887 FPS at 100 yards with a bullet designed for double-diameter expansion out to 300 yards.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/11/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done. Only one way to find out! I’ll post results when I get back and maybe we’ll all learn something new.

I was born and raised in CO. Took my first elk 17 years ago. I used to spot and stalk and now I still hunt/track. The old farmers I hunted with as a kid swore by their 6mm Rem/243 Win because they were more accurate with a light-recoiling rifle. They never shot far enough to holdover above the elk’s back and put one bullet in the rib cage. They used to say “Ya just gotta let the air out.”

I’d be shocked if a 120gr Barnes to the rib cage doesn’t do the trick. I’ll bet this year’s bull tag on it.
Only one way to find out huh? Soooo….you’re willing to risk wounding that elk, unethically causing it to have a slow painful death…just to see if it can be done?

I’m no better than the next guy on here but I won’t be experimenting on a live animal just for kicks. The animal deserves better than this.

Good post Godogs57. We have all heard the stories of the lowlife poachers using 22magnums on elk. Like the op's choice, it can be done, but is not optimum. Somewhat reckless in his views. He obviously doesn't care if he wounds an elk or many elk. That is way more unethical than shooting an elk at 600 yards, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe ethics are not as much of an issue with some "hunters" guys, as I know a lot of elk get wounded by arrows every year. I'd rather be in the bring enough gun/weapon camp, than the other.. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LOL.

The 300BO has plenty of velocity for "churning" inside its effective range (just like the 45-70). I took my first elk 17 years ago at 500 yards with a 338-06. The 210gr Partition was going approx 2,700 FPS at the muzzle and 1,950 FPS at the elk. I hit her broadside in the heart twice before she tipped over dead in her tracks. Both bullets recovered against the hide on the opposite side with perfect mushrooms.

The 300BO is going 2,100 FPS at the muzzle and is still going 1,887 FPS at 100 yards with a bullet designed for double-diameter expansion out to 300 yards.

I’d tell you about RPMs and all copper bullets, but it would fly right over your pointy head.

If you’re so sure of yourself, why did you come here seeking validation for your decision? I whacked my first bull with a 7 mag. Sure as heck didn’t need to ask around about how it might work, since it’s a solid elk cartridge. My guess is, you’re not as confident in your mind as you act on here. When you didn’t get the approval from everyone, you raised your hackles instead of reconsidering your choice because you took it as an insult.

For the elk’s sake and not your own, good luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To me this is like saying:

“I am not challenged by killing an elk with my bow using sharp blades any more. I want to make it more challenging. I am going to shoot an elk with a trocar point but no blades. I will only shoot out to 30 yards when I can shoot quarter sized groups. And I will
Wait for a broadside, leg forward shot so I can shoot him right through the heart. And a trocar is more accurate! Elk hearts are big! That will leave 2 holes in the heart and will surely kill him!”

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/12/22.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I had to choose between a 300 BO with a supressor and a 308 due to 2” of length or weight, I would leave the supressor at home. Ear protection is very light.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/12/22.

Venor ergo sum
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.