Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have a Marlin 336 SDT, Davidson's Limited edition. Gray/Black Laminate stock. 16 1/4" stainless bbl. "JM" marked. I was told it is a very desirable collectible. No box or papers though. Caliber is 30-30. At the time I wanted a stainless Marlin. That was the only one on Gunbroker, thus, it was not inexpensive. Still 99% because I never took it out. Is it a desirable collectible? Any ideas on value?

Last edited by cowboy77845; 08/12/22.
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm answering this frankly, as unfamiliar with the referenced model, but not wishing to see Forum questions going unanswered. My first question of what exactly an SDT abbreviation represents, a quick Google produced the following from a Gunbroker listing reflecting recently "Sold"; perhaps yours?

"JM-stamped Marlin 336SDT "Stainless Davidson's Trapper" chambered in .30-30 Winchester with a 16" barrel and fiber optic front and rear sights. Rifle is from a limited run of 501 rifles made for Davidson's by Marlin. Rifle is in excellent condition with some slight scratching in the finish from the safe. Bore is bright and shiny. Wood is excellent. No box or papers."
Noting sold price as asked $3K!" Such Gunbroker closed listing.

Second question as the source of your "...very desirable collectible" determination? Such as a 'usual suspect'! smile Stories as propositions alleging enhanced value attaching... Giving rise to the fundamental gun buying proposition. "Buy the gun, not the story!" The best, 'safest approach'. My system, consonant. As as being drawn to a gun for the physical gun itself. Stories, even IF true, at best accorded 'nice to know' as perhaps someone else impressed. Myself, never a pure speculator! Paying only a price compatible with the guns 'worth to me'! Beyond, as walking! Saying that, only other consideration, as combo of 'the hots for it' and likelihood of finding another similar specimen in consideration of my time and efforts. Some personal premium perhaps accrued in my offer as well as convenient self-excuse for 'small premium'. smile

Your particular rifle, IF I were interested, my considerations in valuing to self. First, red flag, whether "Remington parenting Marlin" production era! Stories I'd be more likely to buy, dissatisfied owners reporting problems surrounding poor quality; aesthetics and function! Of Warranties gone with Remington Bankruptcy. Second, some necessary 'value added' eura. Yet distinguishing as accord long established for such as "Commemoratives', usually reflected objectively in superior wood and finish as well as material component differences; barrel lengths configurations; engraving; etc. Conversely, 'Jobber specials' reflecting differing sights and wood finished from regular production; more as rearranging Titanic deck chairs touting 'worthy collector differences'. The "package I see, unimpressive and absent perhaps some sort of unique "tool room", 'one off', with provenance; seeming unimpressive.

Now! All that said, we are in an amazing era. Housing bubble, maybe just receding. Gun value 'bubble' aura of "regulatory controls worries; "get 'em while you kin". So "value as especially reflecting venues of national buying audiences; wild. I can't estimate the value of your rifle in "current" perspective. In 'historical' perspective, the remark that the guns which increase in sales price fastest, reflective of "artificial inflation", tend to fall fastest. Those accruing value over decades, generally holding much better as established collector audience.

My net. If you're in love with the gun, congratulations. If you're in it for speculation, condolences!

Either situation, wishing you "Best!"

John

Last edited by iskra; 08/21/22.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you for the response. I paid 1700+ for the rifle because I wanted a stainless "JM" Marlin. Wanted being the operative word. That was the only one on Gunbroker at the time. Where Firearms are concerned, I probably suffer from "instant gratification" syndrome. I do not expect anyone to pay that much for a 30-30. I thought it would be great to shoot hogs off my UTV with. Infirmities have caught up with me and I will never ride the ranch again. I have seen a 45-70 priced at 3K which I think is unreasonable. I consider myself stuck with this rifle because I do not want to take a big hit. Given the current environment and prevailing attitudes among many, it may be handy to have, I do not have to get rid of it. My heirs can. But I am selling my stuff, at least that I can expect to recoup costs from. I find I like stainless at my age because of ease of maintenance.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They made 501 of the 336SDT in 30-30, 501 of the 1895SDT in 45-70, and only 250 of the 308SDT in 308MX. Of these the 308 is the hardest to find but imagine you could sell that gun for what you have in it, if not more. I have one and don't plan to part with it anytime soon nor of its companions.

Keep moving forward!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not a Marlin collector but I would be interested in it if you do decide to part with it. I've wanted a stainless Marlin as well but never grabbed one.

Last thought.....the SDT is much more desirable than an STD...desire while acquiring not being considered.....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I regret sellin mine

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I really should sell this rifle. After reading the above, I took it out of the safe, held it, shouldered it a couple of time, thought" Mine". I am conflicted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m the closest to ya but Kingstrider the dentist has more money…What to do ?

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/01/22.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
If doing research on GB, look at completed auction to see what selling prices actually were received.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If it’s in excellent condition you should be able to sell for several hundred over what you paid for it. They also made them in .35 Remington and I’ve been told .444 Marlin as well as .357, .41, .44 and .45 Colt. I sold a .30-30 ten years ago for what you paid for yours and a .357 for over $2000 and a .45 for $2200 - both of those ten years ago as well. I wouldn’t sell one for less than $2500 myself in .30-30. That’s just me though - great little guns and still have the .41 and .45-70.

PennDog

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have not gotten past the "Mine" part. I have 100 rounds to go with it. I also have a stainless 44 Mag (not SDT). I like stainless rifles. Am also 82 yrs old,70% disabled and will probably never hunt again. Do not use a 30-30 anyway. Am selling stuff but cannot seem to let this go. I guess I am kind of like a squirrel storing nuts for the winter. I keep selling stuff, but I buy stuff too. Have often thought this is an addiction. Been going on since I was 5 yrs old.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
One of these just sold on gunbroker for 1900. Wonder if the guy who sold it is gonna buy gold.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by cowboy77845
I have not gotten past the "Mine" part. I have 100 rounds to go with it. I also have a stainless 44 Mag (not SDT). I like stainless rifles. Am also 82 yrs old,70% disabled and will probably never hunt again. Do not use a 30-30 anyway. Am selling stuff but cannot seem to let this go. I guess I am kind of like a squirrel storing nuts for the winter. I keep selling stuff, but I buy stuff too. Have often thought this is an addiction. Been going on since I was 5 yrs old.

cowboy I’m a little younger than you but we could be brothers from different mothers! I read this and laughed caused it sounds exactly like me. Keep it - they don’t eat much and it makes you happy - at least that’s what I keep telling myself!!

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 43 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.