-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a #1 medium sporter in 45-70. I love it. One problem I have though is my 58 YO eyes are not up to the task of using the iron sights.

I have a set of Ruger rings that I assumed were a pair and was planning on using them to mount a scope on it today. I took my calipers and measured from the bottom of the radius to the flat of the ring where it will rest on the rail.
One ring measured .304 thousandths and the other measured .319 thousandths. The rail is straight as an arrow so I would think that both rings should measure the same. Although the rings did not come with the rifle.

I measured them with brand new Starrett 6" digital caliper several times to verify what I was getting was accurate. FTR I did tool and die work for almost 20 years so I'm sure my measuring is spot on.

.015 Thousandths is a lot of height variation in the rings in my mind. Tough to lap that out LOL. I'm thinking of adding a piece of .015 Starrett shim stock under the base of the short ring where it lands/sits on the rail then checking for true with my 1" mounting bar.

Anyone ever run into this before? I cant imagine Ruger having two part # rings with that little of a difference.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Ruger rings used on the No. 1 are both the same height. Same holds true on the 10-22. You’re right that the barrel rib on the No. 1 is designed to create a level flat surface that accommodates scope rings of equal height.

The Ruger bolt actions M#77, Hawkeyes, RSM, use rings of different heights for the front and back rings. The pair you have sound like they were meant for one of the bolt actions.

I would not modify the ones you have. You might try to sell or trade them here for a set for a No. 1.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I think you'd be time & money ahead to just buy a ring to match one of those, they are sold individually.

Heck, I may have a spare I'd trade you if you want. I can look tomorrow.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yeah, I think you'd be time & money ahead to just buy a ring to match one of those, they are sold individually.

Heck, I may have a spare I'd trade you if you want. I can look tomorrow.

That would be great.

" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry Featherweight, I checked and all of mine are in use or designated.

I measured a medium I have, it came out .439". Lows are supposed to be .31" not sure how much variation is acceptable.

Wish I could be more help.

You might call Ruger, they are usually very helpful.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are exactly the same height. I have a couple of bolt med sets that I could probably split, or I have a set of stainless with the rear offset that are dedicated #1 rings. Ruger rings are kinda getting pricey.

Ring chart.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are other rings available for the Rugers. Check Warne. Their rings are powder-coated (I think) and shouldn’t mark your scope unless you go all Hulk on the screws.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone. I'll check out the Warne site and probably give Ruger a call also.

NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are also Leupold rings for Ruger.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have sent rings back to Ruger and they have traded me the ones I needed. Might be worth a try.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have sent rings back to Ruger and they have traded me the ones I needed. Might be worth a try.
I'll check into that.
One thing I've thought about with this situation is I have QD rings on almost all my rifles. If I am going to have to purchase some rings I'd like QD's of some sort . I have Talleys, Warnes , Weavers .... JJst looking into QD's for #1's now.
Make the handling in and out of the safe so much easier plus no banging the glass around.

NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had the best results with Alaska Arms rings made by Morris Melani in Big Lake, AK
He keeps a good inventory of rings 907-841-8924

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

I have as well, but they want them unopened and the trade is based on stock in hand, which it ain’t always, so can take a while until more are available.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
👍

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Id look into the offset ring at the back. Its not too horrible having one on the rib.

I have a 4 reg and offset in blued stashed for my next #1.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If every set was measured, I bet some similar variation would be seen.

Could always run the higher one in the rear, see how the tube sets in them. If it works, that will give you some spare elevation adjustment

Last edited by KenMi; 10/18/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.