Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I came across a very high condition early Belgium made piece today selling for less than than any other "new" semi-auto 22 RF in the case. Are there any owners here that can comment on the piece, reliability, accuracy and magazine availability?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
How cheap is cheap? Condition? If it’s REALLY clean and under $450, I’d snatch it up. Box? Mags? Just like the older Buckmarks, Rugers, or High Standard autos, they were very well made pistols.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ed..have a challenger and like it quite a bit. One of the earlier .22’s I ever purchased

Don’t recall ever having a feed/function issue. Nice trigger and just fine in the accuracy dept

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great. I picked it up yesterday. It appears to be little used. I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The early Belgium made Challengers are fantastic pistols with great triggers. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Post some pics. Did you look it up to see what year?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have one for over 30 years , Great gun.
Mags are expensive if you can find them.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have one for over 30 years , Great gun. Manufacture 1982

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd jump on one if I found it.
Especially at the price and condition you found that one

I'm struggling not to buy the Woodsman on Fugate's page.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Traveler52
We have one for over 30 years , Great gun. Manufacture 1982

Your gun is the Challenger II. I believe 1982 was the last year for the II model before they started the Challenger III.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine dates to 1967 I believe, XXXXU7 serial number? The trigger is indeed very nice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Pickup, EdM

I'd fall hard for something like that on a shelf. And at the price of a new rimfire pistol today, say $500-650 or so, it's a better value than when it was new

"Chances Will Be Taken"

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by johnw
Nice Pickup, EdM

I'd fall hard for something like that on a shelf. And at the price of a new rimfire pistol today, say $500-650 or so, it's a better value than when it was new

I gave asking price, $450 out the door. Crazy with "equivalent" Ruger's and Browning's next to it for more. I'm traveling so will not take it shooting for another week or two. I own both Ruger's and a Browning that I am pleased with but this piece wreaks of old school weather "better" or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Mine dates to 1967 I believe, XXXXU7 serial number? The trigger is indeed very nice.

Looks to be in great shape. Congrats.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's a great deal now. I bought a Challenger and a Medalist at the same time from a seller a few years back for $500 for the pair. Sold the Challenger for $400 the next week. The Medalist is a favorite of mine. Should have kept the Challenger too.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 10/18/22.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here's mine. Purchased new my father in 1969. It's got a light coat of RIG grease, so that the "gooey" stuff you can see in a few spots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbo
Here's mine. Purchased new my father in 1969. It's got a light coat of RIG grease, so that the "gooey" stuff you can see in a few spots.

I have one just like that. I also have the factory 4½" barrel for it. It was mfg'd in 1968. About a year after I bought it, I was in a gun store in Encino, Calif., The Pony Express Gun Store, and they carried Browning guns and accessories. I bought two Browning Belgian factory magazines for the Challenger, which at that time were about $8.00 each. I still have the original box and papers.

I love to shoot it and I taught my late wife how to shoot handguns with that Challenger. Over a period of time, she became a very good shot.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Timbo

Very nice. It appears they did the front sight design change early on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by johnw
Nice Pickup, EdM

I gave asking price, $450 out the door. Crazy with "equivalent" Ruger's and Browning's next to it for more. I'm traveling so will not take it shooting for another week or two. I own both Ruger's and a Browning that I am pleased with but this piece wreaks of old school weather "better" or not.

Better days.. Better ways...

Forgive the thread derail, and forgive my ignorance, but it looks to me that the Buckmark and the Challenger are mechanically identical. Was the Challenger mostly made of steel? I'll admit to ignoring Browning handguns for a long time, and the Buckmark was likely around for a decade or more before I noticed it wasn't the older Browning .22 pistol of the Gun Digest type rags.

Seems to me that if you wanted something different in the Challenger that you had a choice of barrel lengths. The Buckmark seems to spawn a new variation in sights, barrel, finish, or grip contour/composition about every week or so.
The Buckmark is only obviously the descendant of the Challenger. Was the change between the two initiated when production of the Challenger ceased in Belgium?
IIRC the earlier Buckmarks resembled the Challenger's look. And that's probably partly why I didn't notice the "new" pistol on the market. Were all the Buckmark variations always available, or when did that begin?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Buckmark and Challenger aren't exactly mechanically identical. There are even differences in the various Challengers. The Challenger was made of steel. That started changing with the replacement models. The Challenger was made in Belgium. It was replaced with the Japanese made Challenger II, then the III. Finally the III was replaced in 1985 or so with the Buckmark.

Last edited by Timbo; 10/20/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.