Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Delicate subject - how do you tell your hunting buddy of 40 years that his dog isn't welcome on a goose hunt. Dog is just not trained well. It will not sit while waiting for birds to come in but is whining and pulling and moving all over the place trying to go 'retrieve' the birds still in the air. He tries to control it with one of those screw-in anchors for dogs but the dog just pulls it out. Birds will be 100 yards out and they flare because the dog is causing a commotion. I've spent a lot of time and gas finding goose fields for the infrequent times we can get out and try to have some success, and then this dog basically ruins it.

He's one of my oldest and best friends, I've been hunting with him for 40 years. In Scouts together, known him since kindergarten actually. On duck hunts in the marsh it isn't as bad as the reeds hide a lot of bad behaviour, and he will retrieve fairly well in water. But there's no need for it on a goose field. No upside. A field kennel might work, now that I think about it. But I have a feeling the dog would just break it apart.

Any thoughts or experiences?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had the same issue with a buddy, I just sucked it up. Although one time he was saying "back" about 30 times and I got pissed off and said "I guess that [bleep]-ing dog doesn't know what back means"!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes I’ve been in your situation. I can talk to my friends honestly and without worrying about feelings, but I still do. I’m at a point where I enjoy the company and conversations with my friends more than I care about shooting something. Time spent afield is more than shooting and bag limits but I would be frustrated too if I was in your shoes.

A simple and honest conversation with your friend should not be received negatively. Be honest and tell him that you have cancer and this is your last year hunting and you really want to limit each time out so leave the pup home. After the season when you tell him that you were just kidding about dying of cancer he’ll be so happy that his old buddy ain’t dying he won’t care that you lied. Problem solved and everyone is happy except the pup. 👍

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
tell him his dog is a POS and to leave it at home. He already knows it.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Tell him to get the MFER trained or don’t bring him. He should see this himself if he was a friend. I think you would.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You would be better off screwing a guys wife then criticizing his dog, because dog owners seem to think THEIR dog is "wonder dog". Not so much with the wife.

And yes I agree, a dog is pointless for goose hunting in the field.

Personally, I would tell him and let the chips fall wherever. Life is too short, and getting shorter.

Last edited by SupFoo; 10/12/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
40 years you aughta be able to tell him what you think without issue.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKduck

No sh*t, eh....don't understand the hand wringing

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by SupFoo
You would be better off screwing a guys wife then criticizing his dog, because dog owners seem to think THEIR dog is "wonder dog". Not so much with the wife.

And yes I agree, a dog is pointless for goose hunting in the field.

Personally, I would tell him and let the chips fall wherever. Life is too short, and getting shorter.

Good answer.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by AKduck

No sh*t, eh....don't understand the hand wringing

I only have a couple of old friends-- I can tell them anything...Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
When your Buds not looking, give the dog a doggie downer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
When your Buds not looking, give the dog a doggie downer.

Great minds think alike….a 10mg THC gummy bear should bring that dog down…it might make it paranoid but that’ll pass. He’ll have the munchies on the way home so be prepared to buy the dog some Taco Bell after leaving the fields. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just tell him that the dog is too much of a distraction to bring to the field. It's obvious he's not really a dog man or he'd already have recognized the issue. The safety issue presented by an out of control dog outweighs your buddy's hurt feelings. Even in the marsh his first priority should be to control his dog rather than to shoot at ducks. As an aside, it's hard to believe a dog could pull a stake out of that Manitoba hard pan. I've had trouble poking decoy stakes through it. Anyway, best of luck. I was in Manitoba last week and it was good to see the potholes full of water again. Bet you got some good duck numbers this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you could take along a goose hunting monkey to fix the problem?
[video:yahoo]
[/video]

Last edited by MPat70; 10/12/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m sure Florida man will be along soon to recommend that you shoot him

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if this fellow is truly your best friend, then you can talk bluntly to him.

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I’m sure Florida man will be along soon to recommend that you shoot him

Shoot the dog, or his buddy? The dog can probably benefit from some training- - - - -not so sure about the hunting pal!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that having a conversation with him is the right answer.

I think you should approach it as both of you trying to find a solution to the problem. Maybe you can agree that when you hunt together with the dog, it’s a great opportunity for a training lesson. I would suggest that you suggest to him that he’s not shooting if he wants to bring his dog, and that he must control the dog in the blind physically while you shoot birds until the dogs learns.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don’t know if this is a shared blind or your friend comes along as a guest. If he’s a guest the answer is much simpler. If he’s a guest and you also have a dog, tell him you don’t want your dog competing for the birds.

If you don’t have a dog to blame it on and he’s guest. Just tell him next time he’s invited that the dogs not working for you and if comes to please leave the dog home.

He’s got a choice I’m guessing he’ll show up without the dog.

If it’s a shared hunting thing and he’s a partner there’s no good solution.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good points, thanks. The dog is 8 years old? So if was going to learn anything it would have happened by now.

Yes, some people don't take kindly to criticism of their dog. Hard to judge their reaction.

I'm also at the age where the success of a goose hunt isn't judged by the number of birds, but as I'm getting my daughters into it now as well I would like to get as many birds in front of them as possible.

That's a very good point about safety, being distracted and interfered with physically by the dog.

I think I'll have to broach it well before a hunt gets planned, and if he insists on bringing the dog, well, I might be busy that day after all. And we can go for ducks the next day.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.