Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Well, they do tend to be harder to lose, in the house.......

That’s why I mentioned AROUND the house.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I field dress 40 to 60 deer a season and really enjoy using a nice custom knife on the “soft parts” and a spyderco native, that I don’t care about wearing out, on the “hard parts”.
They all have their place.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up CRKT Squid for less than $20 a couple years back, not bad for a pocket clip frame lock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There some good knives out that don't cost a lot.

There are also some other good knives out there that cost a great deal, based on the name branded on it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I work at an outdoors store so basically all the knives are cheap with my discount. Trying not to own 500 of them lol

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

I had an early 80s Gerber Mk II somewhere around the house here, that has completely disappeared. No idea where the damn thing went to.

Sounds like I need to clean my house...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

You don't live in my house. My wife loses at least one paring knife a year, never to be seen again. She loses silvrware too, so when we have the good stuff out, I clean it and count it before I take out the trash. Like the socks that go missing, never to be seen again.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by willowcreek1996
I field dress 40 to 60 deer a season and really enjoy using a nice custom knife on the “soft parts” and a spyderco native, that I don’t care about wearing out, on the “hard parts”.
They all have their place.

Ever since Huntsman22 posted about the Gerber EAB utility folder, I use one with a straight utility blade to disjoint the 'hard parts'. Amazing how well that works while also preserving the edge of the economy knives under review here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Kershaw Volt II, frequently on sale for under $25.

Absolutely outstanding EDC.

They get down in the $15-$18 range during the holidays.

Great stocking-stuffers... especially for the girls/ladies.

GR

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

WTF does "especially for the girls/ladies" mean? Do you have personal experience with this knife? I really tried to like this knife, but the two I've had were junk - the steel is garbage and I wouldn't gift one to anyone I cared about. Ontario R2 in either choice of steel is a far superiir knife...

Last edited by JGray; 10/12/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
far superiir knife...

And dammit, that's important. But I think you spelled more super-er wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

WTF does "especially for the girls/ladies" mean? Do you have personal experience with this knife? I really tried to like this knife, but the two I've had were junk - the steel is garbage and I wouldn't gift one to anyone I cared about. Ontario R2 in either choice of steel is a far superiir knife...

On the contrary...

Have carried the same Volt II knife EDC for nearly a decade - outstanding service.

Buy a case of'em every holiday Season when they get in the $15-$18 range, and give'em as gifts.

Girls and woman especially appreciate them because they are razor sharp and quick and easy to deploy.

Kershaw - appears to have two suppliers, and one is decidedly of better quality.

If you know what to look for, you can cull through a stock of'em and hand pick.

It's not my Benchmade AFCK... but they are damn fine <$20 EDC knives, even at twice the price.

So ya know.

GR

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
On a budget this is my favorite folder.

https://www.smkw.com/kabar-dozier-folding-hunter-blue

Blue wouldn't be my 1st color choice, but they come in black and other colors.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a Kershaw Chill lately and I am very satisfied with its performance. It has a blade of 8Cr13MoV which tests out @ RC 60, holds an edge fairly well and sharpens easily. For $25 I haven't found anything better for a daily carry knife.

Harry
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
JMR40-- plus 1 on the kabar-dozier, been my edc for over 12 years. Processed deer, small game , and anything else I need a knife for
Hell of a knife for $20.00

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The contour and texturing of the Kershaw VOLT II is also outstanding - Almost like a cut-plug knife, but still trim enough for edc.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
life is too short to mess around with cheap, poor quality knives.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It has been my impression that many people who buy handmade knives treat them as status symbols, much like they tend to do with Gransfors Bruk axes, and save them for special occasions. To me, a knife is just a tool for cutting and while I enjoy the quality and craftsmanship of a good knife, I've never come across a deer or elk that couldn't be fielld dressed as well with a Mora as with an Ingram if they were equally sharp. The thinner Mora brade would certainly be a poorer choice for splitting a pelvic bone, but that is why I carry a Sagen Saw in my pack.

To achieve status symbol people have to know what you have. 99.9% of people have no idea between a custom knife and a Walmart throw away. Not sure anyone gains status out of that.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

It has been my impression that many people who buy handmade knives treat them as status symbols, much like they tend to do with Gransfors Bruk axes, and save them for special occasions. To me, a knife is just a tool for cutting and while I enjoy the quality and craftsmanship of a good knife, I've never come across a deer or elk that couldn't be fielld dressed as well with a Mora as with an Ingram if they were equally sharp. The thinner Mora brade would certainly be a poorer choice for splitting a pelvic bone, but that is why I carry a Sagen Saw in my pack.

To achieve status symbol people have to know what you have. 99.9% of people have no idea between a custom knife and a Walmart throw away. Not sure anyone gains status out of that.

I think that they buy them not because the need them, but because the cool kids have them and they want to be a part of that clique.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I think that they buy them not because the need them, but because the cool kids have them and they want to be a part of that clique.

Nah. You would be wrong. Some guys, even average Joes like me, get to the point in their life where they are tired of using disposable junk, or something that is a tiny step above disposable junk. Don't get me wrong, cheap knives work for sure. Damn, a Havalon makes short work of skinning a deer. Try skinning a moose in freezing weather with a 25 mph wind where the fat freezes on your blade, and you may re-evaluate that Havalon right quick. Ask me how I know. But is there really something wrong with owning something you really like, and can take joy in owning because it was built with the hands of a real, Made in America, skilled craftsman, not a bloody CNC machine in China?

No more junk for this guy even though I may have to scrimp and pinch a few pennies.

Got two beauties on order right now, and you are damn skippy that I am gonna post pics when I get em. Not to brag, but to share a man’s work with like minded enthusiasts who appreciate what I have just mentioned.

But my vote for a decent everyday carry knife would be a Case Sodbuster for a folder or a Mora if you want a good, cheap fixed blade.

Last edited by sns2; 10/19/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always find it a bit ironic that guys will spend a LOT of money on multiple custom hunting knives, but have crap kitchen knives. The hunting knives realistically get used very little, while kitchen knives get used every day. I like quality knives, but I've got a lot more money in kitchen knives than hunting knives.

My favorite cheap knife? Opinel no.6.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.