-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it is dry out, I have no reservations about wearing my Thorgoood 8" moc toe work boots. Most comfortable boot I own.

I have Russell Moccasins (wife gave me a gift certificate, wouldn't have ordered otherwise) South 40s, custom to my measurements. No issues with them. Only wear them chasing pheasants in crop and CRP fields. I don't have issues with my ankles needing support, but haven't sidehilled much in them either.

When the conditions get a bit colder and wetter, I have some Crispi Guides and an older pair of Danner made in USA that I don't even recall the model.

The big learning I've got, everybody's foot is different and what works for one won't work for another. What is comfortable for one, is crippling to somebody else.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Whatever you buy just make sure it's expensive and to color coordinate with your Filsons or tweed outfit and cap. The value of looking good out there so as to impress with your wealth and good taste simply can't be overstated.

Maybe some blaze orange for safety

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pullit
Whatever you buy just make sure it's expensive and to color coordinate with your Filsons or tweed outfit and cap. The value of looking good out there so as to impress with your wealth and good taste simply can't be overstated.

Maybe some blaze orange for safety
I actually have a Filson tin cloth upland jacket and cap. I never wear them as they clash with my cheap pump shotguns and Carolina work boots.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, I’ve had the same pair of Irish setter bird hunters (old green ones) for 30 years. They’re on their third set of soles, but still rocking. No idea the miles, but a LOT. Still have a pair of Filson chaps from 30 years ago, too. They sent me a bag of replacement snaps for when I knock them off and the leather is tattered, but they still eat up briars. Both were some of the best bird hunting $ I ever spent. I got some Danner broadhead boots on sale, which I’m liking, too. Not sure on longevity yet. Piss on cheap boots. Sam has wrecked my feet, so I get picky about comfort and support these days.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Excellent advice.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of my Upland hunting is pretty wet.

Sharptails are what I currently wear. Keep me dry and 10, miles is no problem.

Love my kenetreks, but reserve those for steeper sections.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
26 years ago I bought a pair of Hathorne Smoke Jumpers for $185. I use them for all my hunting, and any farm days where I will be doing hiking in rough country. Also wear them when I go in Makoshika park, about twice a year, as it's rattlesnake country. They're still in good shape and fit like a glove. Great for hiking and hill crawling. I treat them with leather treatment once every two years or so. Whites bought Hathorne out, and I see they sell for $625 now. If they ever need it, I'll send them in and get them rebuilt.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have gone through a variety of pairs over the years. Currently using a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I picked up on sale a few years ago. They seem to be wearing well. Haven't had to test the water tightness yet, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. I like the gortex liners I have had in past boots, but it seems like once it gets soaked through it never works again. I have never worn out a sole on any pair of boots. The toes always go first for me. It is from the heavy grass that is abrasive enough to wear through almost anything eventually.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same as pretty much everything else I hunt...Lowa Hunter GTXs, or muck boots if called for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Same as pretty much everything else I hunt...Lowa Hunter GTXs, or muck boots if called for.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😳🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really depends on the weather. My favorite is a very old pair of Browning Kangaroo boots. I also use a pair a Danners, if it’s cold. Can’t forget my snake boots. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by T_Inman

😳🦫

Well those are for only when I hunt in Oregon, though I figured that went without saying.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Have had good luck with Danner Pronghorns but have been preferring Lowa Renegades recently.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For birds, usually some flavor of Salomon or lowa.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lslite
Here in Texas it's usually Chippewa snake boots.

How often is the "snake function" employed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear a pair of Muck Edgewater Classics. They've lasted me over 10yrs.

If not those, I wear a pair of Cabelas Iron Ridge 400gr boots.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Rare to find any tweed hunting clothing on this side....However I found when knocking on doors, how one presents themselves seems to more often grant access than looking like something that crawled out from under the bridge. That and there are those who appreciate nice functional outdoor gear. Much like some who appreciate a custom made handgun. Which i would suspect make them on the expensive side.

Others think you can't be a real hunter unless you look like you have been in the brush for a month without a toothbrush or razor. I've seen many exceptions to that line of thinking.

As far as leather boots...I have yet to have a pair that were used hard for 3 or 4 years, that I wasn't thinking about replacing. Mostly due to water issues. Have found some of the best value in an upland boot are some of the better rubber boots with support. Lacrosse and Muck.

Last edited by battue; 04/28/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm a fan of the Army issue boots, Belleville specifically. That can be had in almost any size and don't cost that much. Since retiring I have tried several boots but always come back to the issue boot for three season use. Combine with a pair of Goretex socks they work in some really wet weather too (over 2 weeks in daily rain and I never had wet feet)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

spoken like someone who never hunts

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are lots of good USA made boots that are available at good prices if you start looking at those designed for the military. I've tried several and these are the most comfortable I've found. They are sized big, I normally wear a 12, but ordered these in an 11. These aren't priced much more than the Chinese made hikers and are about 1/2 what you'd pay for the high end Danner, Krispi or others.

These are non-goretex and are very breathable for hot weather use.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-390-hot-weather-coyote-brown

Same boot with Goretex.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-c790-gtx-coyote-brown

Goretex and insulation.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-c795-200g-waterproof-combat-boots-coyote-brown

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 71 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.