Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Gayville?……disclaimer……I’m not from ORgan.

Now Mark, I was born in your state, and am descendent of the very first people who first settled in that part of what use to be part of Virginia.

but

I live in Oregon now.. moved here in 1995, but was familiar with it before hand, having been stationed up in Washington at Ft Lewis when I served in uniform.

Minus Potlandia, most of the folks here in the rest of the state.. which is pretty darn good sized and not overly populated,

its actually a lot like living in West VA, just got a lot bigger mountains out here...

I go back and visit family, WVA seems awfully small county wise and crowded...

county I live in, in the SW part of Oregon... its not a big county by Oregon Standards, but is bigger than Rhode Island, and has about 75 to 80,000 people in it.. which is pretty sparse considering the county seat has about 40,000 people in it...

Plenty of good hunting, etc... and Oregon Meth heads are pretty much just like WVa methheads...not a selling feature for either state.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yup, long way to the beach from here.

I’m keeping my place in the godforsaken valley though as home base.

This will be a great place to escape for a couple weeks at a time.

Kinda like fish camp, but mo betta.

When I left yesterday to drive over here, I saw in the following order as I was driving:

Filthy drug addled encampments.
Burned out shells of cars alongside offramps.
Shopping carts with tarps.

Then:
Blacktail deer
California bighorn sheep
Mule deer
Pronghorn antelope
Elk
Whitetail deer
Rio Grande turkeys
Black bear (just a quick glimpse)
Coyote

And I got out of the pickup for a bit to look at some Kokanee in their spawning colors, doin’ what Kokanee do in the fall.

The one specie I didn’t see, but wasn’t out of the realm of possibility was Rocky Mtn Goat. Kept an eye peeled, just didn’t get lucky.

Parts of Oregon sure sucks. 😎

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Seafire lives in a little county and over populated county! Come over on the dry side, and enjoy ten times the area, with less people. I'm not positive but I think Harney county is larger than Vermont. With a population of under 8000 people.

Last edited by Heym06; 10/13/22.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Talked to a friend in east Portland yesterday. Big clean up going on on Marine Drive, Sandy Blvd and around Blue Lake. Multiple Penske trucks and lots of people cleaning out the addled and addicted. The reason - Biden's and his press entourage is coming to Portland on Friday.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see that a couple more counties are voting on whether to consider joining Idaho. I think all the voting they can do will never sway Oregon's legislature and their approval would be required. In the very unlikely event it happened, all that NE Oregon wilderness would be in Idaho.

GREATER IDAHO

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Montana is closed. Thanks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve been to a few but do not remember
the names.

Good German bars with good food!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Watch it buddy or I'll........................

load up the Penske trucks and me and some compadres will head your way.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Tide Change.

cool that you saw all them critters on one trip.

Did you see any moose? Every once in awhile one would swim the Snake where I worked. Folks that lived there said they'd go down to the Blues or Wallowas and hang out there.

And, just to be picky.............................isn't it "Fish Camp", not fishing camp?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Hey Tide Change.

Did you see any moose? Every once in awhile one would swim the Snake where I worked. Folks that lived there said they'd go down to the Blues or Wallowas and hang out there.

And, just to be picky.............................isn't it "Fish Camp", not fishing camp?

Good catch! No pun intended.

Damn autofill combined with fat fingers, I sure meant fish camp.

Anyway, I’ve never seen moose in Oregon, nor in SE Washington - that would be a treat.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Hey Tide Change.

Damn spellcheck combined with fat fingers, I sure meant fish camp.

Anyway, I’ve never seen moose in Oregon, nor in SE Washington - that would be a treat.

They're there. Saw one come down the hill from the N side of the river, get in the water and start swimming below the dam. Someone in a boat scared it back up. I think it went back in that night and drowned in the whirlpool under the flood gates. I might have the few I've seen mixed up.

Also we had a Mt Goat living on the S bank below one of the dams for a few years. Right on the edge of the wheat fields.

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Watch it buddy or I'll........................

load up the Penske trucks and me and some compadres will head your way.
Bring avocados and young (still slim) Latinas!!! Oh wait you're in the other California. Snoozefest.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have seen moose several times in the Blue Mountains of SE Washington when I lived in Walla Walla. I also saw a cow moose in Utah along the side of the road on I84 this week at about milepost 180. Fortunately it was alive and didn't run into the road in front of me like a deer did the day before near Diamond Lake on HWY 138.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rufous
I have seen moose several times in the Blue Mountains of SE Washington when I lived in Walla Walla. I also saw a cow moose in Utah along the side of the road on I84 this week at about milepost 180. Fortunately it was alive and didn't run into the road in front of me like a deer did the day before near Diamond Lake on HWY 138.

I lived in Walla Walla, and also Dixie for a good many years. Love the Blues and the Mill Creek Watershed!

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Tide Change.

Damn spellcheck combined with fat fingers, I sure meant fish camp.

They're there. Saw one come down the hill from the N side of the river, get in the water and start swimming below the dam. Someone in a boat scared it back up. I think it went back in that night and drowned in the whirlpool under the flood gates. I might have the few I've seen mixed up.

Also we had a Mt Goat living on the S bank below one of the dams for a few years. Right on the edge of the wheat fields.

Cool stuff. You spent a good amount of time on the Snake and Columbia during your working years right? I've always liked looking up at the rimrock in those canyons and wondering what might be up in some of those caves. The Palouse was another one of my favorites.

Anyway, here's a pic of one of the pesky yard ornaments I'm going to have as a tenant. I've seen three different bucks so far on this little slice of heaven. The place has been neglected for several years and mother nature has slowly been doing a reclamation. I intend to leave a portion of it undisturbed so these guys have a place to hang out during the season. They ain't stupid, that's for sure.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the OR fish and game wants to get a good moose herd going, they need to talk to the boys at the Idaho fish and game. They've been quite successful in getting a good moose herd going in so. central ID. The terrain is very similar.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a fast growing herd of Moose spreading out from their home near Troy at the moment. We saw moose up there several years ago, along with new calves. I doubt there will be a hunt in my lifetime, but there is the seed for a decent herd getting started up there if the wolves don't wipe them out first.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Heym06
Born and raised in Wallowa County. To fuggn bad the tourists found it.
The re-make of the movie Homeward Bound in the early 90's started a big rush. I heard one from Hollywood say "I didn't know places like this existed". A friend of mine sold real estate in Enterprise and his phone rang constantly with calls from S Ca.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I lived in Walla Walla, and also Dixie for a good many years. Love the Blues and the Mill Creek Watershed!

Cool, when? I was there from 1992 to 2016. The last 6 years we lived up Biscuit Ridge Road out of Dixie.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Cool, when? I was there from 1992 to 2016. The last 6 years we lived up Biscuit Ridge Road out of Dixie.

Killed some nice bulls on Biscuit Ridge!

I was there from ‘73 to ‘85.

I owned the house right between the old general store and the post office, right on Hwy 12.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.