Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve always used a small backpack for day hunts into the back country. 1-2 pints of water, a lunch, rope, fire starter, space blanket, and small miscellaneous items as well as maybe scents or a rattle bag. Two things I don’t like about the backpack. 1. You have to take it off to get anything out of it. 2. The straps being padded, are not real helpful to a good stance if you are shooting your rifle wearing it. They add a lot to the length of pull. A Fanny pack seems like what I’m looking for, one without shoulder straps. Reading reviews I’m not seeing much good out there. I’m thinking a good padded hip belt will be desirable. I never had much of an ass to begin with, and I lost 20 pounds this past year. I’m thinking it might be a challenge to keep a Fanny pack around my waist. What have you all had luck with?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a mountainsmith day. It works pretty good. I don't use it for hunting though. I use it for short hikes and fishing. It works great until you start adding alot of weight. Let's say you have your day gear and 2 liters of water....can get heavy on the waist and bouncy. It has side straps that let you pull it in tight to your waist and helps stabilize the load.

It has plenty of room for you I would think. Not expensive either. Some people just use the shoulder carry strap as an additional load stabilizer. Wear it cross body opposite of your shooting side. The shoulder strap allows you to swing it to your front without taking it off as well.

I will say I did purchase the "strapettes" for it. I always found I was loading it with more than I liked to carry on just my waist. The straps are pretty low profile and worth every cent IMO. Plus I can unbuckle the waist and swing it around front if I need to...without taking it off.

Another great option is a sling pack. It only goes over 1 shoulder. It is designed to be able to rotate it to your front and be in perfect position to access your gear. I have a maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger. It has enough room for day gear and has a water bottle pocket. It also has a stabilizer strap that you can connect which will keep it stable regardless of how you move.Very simple to use. If you are a righty it goes over your left shoulder leaving your right shoulder free and clear. There are several models out there. Some are even ambidextrous if you are a lefty or want to be able to shift it from side to side.

Regardless it will take a little playing around to see if you can use either the way you want. Good luck!

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCold
Another great option is a sling pack. It only goes over 1 shoulder. It is designed to be able to rotate it to your front and be in perfect position to access your gear.

This.

miguel, I use a sling pack for exactly what you're doing.

I'm sure there are better sling packs but this one does pretty well and can be adjusted to move the strap to either shoulder.
https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/shop/hunting-packs/sling

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks interesting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use either a fanny pack with shoulder straps or a sling pack. Can't keep the fanny in place without shoulder straps. Never liked a backpack for day use.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Another great option is a sling pack. It only goes over 1 shoulder. It is designed to be able to rotate it to your front and be in perfect position to access your gear.

This.

I'm sure there are better sling packs but this one does pretty well and can be adjusted to move the strap to either shoulder.
Scott, that looks really interesting. Thanks Everyone for your suggestions.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm in the same boat so far as lacking an ass. I'm pushing 60. I've also lost 35 pounds this year. I have enough trouble just keeping my damned pants up so I don't look like some punk-ass skateboarder. I also haven't had a lot of luck with shoulder bags. Where I grew up hunting there's quite a bit of water .. sidehill, miles wide, miles high slide-ish area with gullies that hold a small trickle year around. Though I grew up just drinking from the stream, I no longer do. Before she died mom had a bout of giardia and it didn't appear to be much fun. I don't really like drinking face down, feel vulnerable. My answer for that area is to carry a collapsible cup and a life straw to drink through. Takes away most of the need to carry any weight of consequence. The rest I can address by wearing a vest with big pockets.

Maybe a bird vest would do what you need.

I haven't had a lot of success with sling packs. I've got a couple from 5.11 Tactical which fit the gear I carry but otherwise I hate 'em. They never ride where I want. Smaller sling .. call 'em pouches maybe .. like a Mystery Ranch forager .. seem to work pretty well. I have two for fishing, one for spin gear, one for fly gear .. including the reels for each, so I just grab a rod, a pouch, and go. And fishing high mountain streams, just like where I grew up hunting, a collapsible cup and life straw will meet the need.

Among day packs, I've got a Mystery Ranch "In and Out 19". It is not meant for loads, just maybe clothes you're shedding plus a bottle of water. It only has a bottle holder on one side. The shoulder straps are flat rather than padded and it has no waist band. I use it mostly when I'm walking creeks fly fishing. It doesn't interfere with casting. Might be worth a look.

I hesitate to suggest something I haven't tried, but I'll throw one on the table. Could be that a Hill People Gear prairie belt and appropriate pouches might do the trick.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a first gen Badlands Monster Fanny, it must be 25 years old. It's been alot of places and has a few patches and scars. I like it well enough but it doesn't hold enough stuff for me. The Tenzig sling pack Scott posted looks real interesting. I tried a couple sling packs for fly fishing and found they moved around too much. The Tenzig may have solved that issue.

Another option is the Hill People Gear Tarahumara pack coupled with their chest rig. That's my current inclination for day/scout/turkey/fly fishing set up.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For day hunts, I still wouldn't hunt with a pack of any kind that isn't capable of hauling meat

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane

This.

I actually like that scott, hate a daypack strap over my right shoulder while “huntin”. Rifle doesn’t fit even close to right with a strap on your shootin shoulder. Missed a damn nice whitetail several years ago for that reason

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If I don't want to tote a regular daypack, I use
a regular Versapack, or a haversack.
Moving up some I'll use a hunting vest or a
Cabelas Safari vest or a dove belt I sewed
ALICE LBE straps on. If that's not enough
capacity, a regular daypack is pretty much a
given ( to me) I can't see using a large capacity
sling pack. If I feel the need to hump a goodly
amount of gear, might as well skip on to a
proper frame pack , my old Kelty or med ALICE
or LC LBE basic load, buttpack and pouches etc.

Probably just have to do like everybody else
does and buy and try different things until
you find the diamond that suits you and put
your chunks of coal online for the next guy

Good Luck

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Couple options on here. You need the official uniform to hunt those Big woods. 😂
Fanny packs

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I went for a simple solution. I bought an inexpensive daypack and removed the padded portion of the right shoulder strap. My wife sewed in an unpadded nylon strap to replace that part. Problem solved.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Can a fanny pack carry the first 90lb load of meat out?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i used fanny packs they suck and back pack is always better believe me at 69 years of age hunted many years in the mountains and woods don`t waste your money on a fanny pack.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe if I were a minimalist still hunter a fanny pack would make sense, but I learned long ago that I'm too clumsy to catch up with much that way, so I'm a scout and sit kind of hunter and for that, more is better. You can put a little in a back pack, but you can't put a lot in a fanny pack. Having it and not needing it sure beats needing it and not having it. The shoulder strap thing never entered my mind because the pack comes off when I get to my stand. Your method of hunting might be way different than mine.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to give the HPG buttpack a try. That and a chest/bino rig would cover a lot of bases.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/68

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by pointer
I would like to give the HPG buttpack a try. That and a chest/bino rig would cover a lot of bases.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/68
My HPG buttback arrived yesterday along with the prairie belt. I'm looking forward to giving it a try in the next few days.

NRA Benefactor Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.