Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Occasionally I'll use a fanny pack along a HPG kit bag. I usually only do this when it's raining and I'm wearing rain gear. It works well for that. I much prefer a backpack if it's not raining.

The couple of muzzle loader hunts I go on each year I have the powder, sabot/bullets, and primers in a small fanny pack I wear forward for quick access.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While out for the day in wild country, I used to wear a back pack for all my stuff and as the OP mentioned if you want access you have to take it off. One day at a garage sale I bought a used H.S. Strut turkey vest. The only modification I did was remove the padded seat.

I practiced off hand shooting with it to get the feel of the padded straps.

One late afternoon hunting elk I got caught in a snow squall and complete whiteout and spent the night on the side of the mountain between a Arcturus survival blanket and a space blanket.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Occasionally I'll use a fanny pack along a HPG kit bag. I usually only do this when it's raining and I'm wearing rain gear. It works well for that. I much prefer a backpack if it's not raining.

The couple of muzzle loader hunts I go on each year I have the powder, sabot/bullets, and primers in a small fanny pack I wear forward for quick access.

I should clarify, when wearing a HPG kit bag and fanny pack in the rain, they are under the rain gear vs a pack that would be outside.

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bbassi
Couple options on here. You need the official uniform to hunt those Big woods. 😂
Fanny packs
I was dressed like that before it was cool!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I need a fanny pack, I use a Kifaru Daystalker lumbar pack. More comfy and holds more...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One to avoid is the Browning Billy 1500 lumbar pack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marsupial Gear has a great system that you can customize...
https://www.marsupialgear.com/collections/modular-belt-system/products/modular-hip-belt

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the Alps Outdoorz Big Bear expandable fanny pack. It does have shoulder straps but if you adjust the waist well you can keep a lot of the weight off your shoulders. I love the expandable part for hauling out boned out meat or storing a jacket as it warms up. I don't like having a full day pack on because my back gets too hot as I hike. I just ordered a new one that has the ability to strap my bow or rifle to it.

https://alpsoutdoorz.com/expandable-day-pack-pathfinder.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chest rigs work well.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you don't carry too much stuff, a Gamehide Mountain Pass vest might be worth a look. A vest distributes the weight across your shoulders. I bought one of these, but haven't worn it afield yet.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a Kelty waist pack that works extremely well for hunting. It has a frame to add some rigidity to keep it from flopping around. I used it a lot in Colorado since I was wearing blaze orange when public land hunting. At times I would wear a Cabelas pack vest which worked rather well as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rumor has it Mystery Ranch will have a new fanny back in the Fall of 2023.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Take a look at the Big Woods Bucks wool fanny packs. The large size will hold a folded up Hyperhight Stuff Pack which will carry out your first load of boned out meat while still wearing your fanny pack. The BWB packs are made of wool so quiet. The large has shoulder straps that aren’t padded so easier to shoot a rifle with, nice lining as well. I’ve carried a regular pack while hunting for years. The wool fanny pack is quieter in the brush and makes it easier to sneak through the thick stuff. One man’s opinion.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve used a fanny pack for over 25 years. PA whitetail and bear hunting.

Keeps the shoulders free for jump shooting and weight off the shoulders. Holds my knife, small saw, dragging rope, broke case extractor, cleaning rod, lighter, extra shells, lunch, and a bottle of water.

We don’t “pack out” in the east. We drag out.

With a backpack, you’ll just bring more stuff you don’t need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Fieldline Dwight Schuh fanny pack with shoulder straps that I have used for several years. I much prefer a fanny pack for day hunting. Not sure if they are still available.
Here is a site with reviews of several:
Best hunting fanny packs with shoulder straps

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m just curious what you consider a “small backpack” that you’ve been using?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use a back pack. I couldn't fit every thing I needed in a fanny pack,especially gear if I had to stay out all night

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dana Designs Bomb Pack. Designed for ski patrol avalanche busters toting dynamite for controlled avalanche initiation. More narrow profile than backpacking packs to avoid catching on trees. Don't know if it is currently made.

I also have used Dana, Mountainsmith, and Badlands fanny packs. Toted knife, few extra rounds, gloves, small water bottle, snacks, drag rope/sling, hat...not much more.

If one is going to have shoulder straps you might as well use a backpack. But it's very easy to put too much stuff in it and overload yourself for maneuvering through heavy cover and along steep slopes. My bomb pack was succeeded by a Badlands pack which had provisions for a spotting scope/tripod and the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
While out for the day in wild country, I used to wear a back pack for all my stuff and as the OP mentioned if you want access you have to take it off. One day at a garage sale I bought a used H.S. Strut turkey vest. The only modification I did was remove the padded seat.

I practiced off hand shooting with it to get the feel of the padded straps.

One late afternoon hunting elk I got caught in a snow squall and complete whiteout and spent the night on the side of the mountain between a Arcturus survival blanket and a space blanket.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
🤣🤣

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 30 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.