Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I have my case cleaner running, and it’s gotten loud loud LOUD, among other maladies.

Time for a 21st-century cleaner/system.

So, what do you use or recommend. Some kind of a sifter would be good too ...

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Saved

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should try a wet system, I bought a Frankford Arsenal system on sale to give it a try and have not used my "Vibrator" since.

BTW, I use an RCBS Sifter to separate the stainless pins.

Tumbler
Separator

Last edited by 12344mag; 10/15/22.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Rick,

Stick with a vibratory tumbler.

The stainless media gets schidt too clean, specifically in the necks.

Carbon build up is good for ES/SD

FWIW

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Hig ^. I don't want to mess with wet brass and separating pins.
I don't really need the jewelry shine the wet systems provide; walnut media works for me.
I'm on my second Frankford Arsenal vibrator, the first one lasted about 12 years.
The separator I use is pretty basic.

FA vibratory cleaner
Media sifter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
There is a reason Scenarshooter dips his new brass necks in Redding graphite neck lube.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
SS wet tumbler. I dip the necks in graphite before priming. I personally like shiny clean brass with spotless primer pockets. This also keeps my dies clean of abrasive carbon. I’m using the Frankfurt Arsenal. I also bought extra SS pins. I put in the brass then almost completely fill the remaining space with pins. Keeps from denting thin necks. They rub more than tumble violently. A little dish soap and Lemishine in the tumbler. I anneal every firing to keep everything equal and extend the life of the brass. I lose primer pockets not necks.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Higginez
There is a reason Scenarshooter dips his new brass necks in Redding graphite neck lube.
And by dipping the clean necks I control the graphite to make sure it’s uniform. I also wipe the graphite off the outside so I’m not lubing the case in the chamber causing increased bolt thrust.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I dip necks on new brass.

Once fired, nope.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use an old Dillon vibrator with corn cob media and Nu Finish car polish. It works but I have to let them vibrate for a few hours. I don't clean brass often though. When it's time to anneal I'll clean them.

IC B3

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I wasn’t kidding. Went to go turn off the vibrator, and it was already off. Wouldn’t turn back on. All that racket meant it was on its last legs, I guess. At least the brass was clean.

Disconnected it, for good. Gonna chuck it tomorrow.

The search redoubles.

Heard about people scoring barrels with stray stainless steel media. Also, wet brass? Then what? Oven? Sunlight?

Frankford Arsenal? Any other worthy contenders?

Thanks all. Last time I bought a vibratory cleaner our calendar years still started with 19 ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
An old Thumler’s Tumbler here, still gets the job done.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dillon has never let me down.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steve
My Dillon has never let me down.

This or FA or Lyman

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put my brass in the oven for 30 minutes on 170 degrees after wet tumbling. Works great. Neo Lube #2 to lubricate necks. Just use a cotton swab to apply. Works great. Relying on carbon and dirty necks means you're not in control of the process and its different every time.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higginez
A reason I do too.

But if you want clean brass the Thumlers Tumbler is the only way to go. Been doing it 15 years now. Picked the system up on suggestion from a high power shooter and have never regretted it. If you are being observant, never need to worry about stray pins going down a barrel.

I dry on a piece of screen in the over for an hour on warm. Dump all the brass back on a towel and run it back and forth to make sure no pins left inside.

I have two Dillon vibratory units, lg and small, that I gave away to family members who are OK with their service and they do a pretty good job. But for large batches of 5.56 and handgun brass, the SS pins are the way to go. Need both sized pins, the 1/4" bridge in 6.5 Grendel brass and the 3/8 in 7mm. Frankford Arsenal media separator is a must.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I got a big ultrasonic cleaner, I think 6 liter, that works great with boiling water, a squirt of dish soap and a teaspoon of citric acid powder. Seperate out any steel cases or your brass turns pink.

If you're in a hurry dry with a dehydrator or rack over wood stove.

You do have to lube case necks, 375 Ruger likes to turn inside out when seating bullets if not.

I use the same rig and solution to degrease parts like carb heat boxes or heater valves for airplanes before sand blasting.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I personally can't seem to get a vibratory cleaner to last very long so recently bought a tumbler on sale (clearance?)at midway . Just looked, and I think it's still on sale. Will try to leave a link here.

I haven't yet used it with the stainless pins, but it does a good job with water, dawn dishwashing soap, and I added a "guestimated" teaspoon of citric acid. The kind I use for food canning, I think it's ball brand.

This tumbler seems to be built like a tank, but have only run a few batches of cases so far, so can't speak about longevity.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019428848?pid=396592

Wanted to add that after the tumble with the cleaning mixture, I drained, then tumbled for about 15 min. with just water for a rinse.

Last edited by slugflinger; 10/16/22.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Spare stuff laying around wet tumbler... half-azz invention of mine. Craigslist $25 treadmill.

Did not like... and went back to dry.

Gifted to a friend... he like it a lot.

Old shark cage (or something) for the grid.

I had a bunch of vinyl "T" from ceiling tile grid. Siliconed in pretzel jars... they last a month or two.

Pins cut down from junk 1x19 SS sailboat rigging with grinder wheels. FYI... Primer holes may get stuck pins if wrong size.

If the pretzel cans wear out it is a hell of a mess.

Dry tumbler noise... Might be loose bolts?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lyman tumbler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.