Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not ideal I know, but that is my most likely shot angle this year. I'm pretty well sky lined from that angle and the chances of being seen are too great to wait for a full broadside. Scoped 7mm-08, 140 BT's and about 75 yards.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Treestand or on the ground? I’ll assume treestand with your skyline comment, but there’s places on the ridge I hunt where I’m skylined with feet on the ground. I’d shoot for a third of the way down on the deer, just in front of, or just behind front shoulder. Either of those should wreck enough important stuff with a 140 BT.

Doc_Holidude

Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 10/16/22. Reason: bad spellin!

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good rule of thumb is to place the bullet so it will hit the far shoulder if the animal isn't directly broadside. That ensure you get the vitals. That trick was taught to me by a PH in Africa and it has held true in my experience. It isn't high tech and it isn't fancy but it is effective.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my FAVORITE shots on Critters. You get to break a front and rear axle,skewing vitals along the way. PERFECT! Hint.

No thanks on a 140 NBT for anything. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Treestand or on the ground? I’ll assume treestand with your skyline comment, but there’s places on the ridge I hunt where I’m skylined with feet on the ground. I’d shoot for a third of the way down on the deer, just in front of, or just behind front shoulder. Either of those should wreck enough important stuff with a 140 BT.

Doc_Holidude
Doc, 20' up in a tamarack tree, but I do think that behind the leading shoulder shot would get liver and gut and a mess from a quartering to angle. I took that shot once in fading light with my crossbow on what I thought was a broadside short coupled fawn of the year, but it was a mature doe at an angle toward me. Toughest tracking job that I'd ever had for hundreds of yards.

Stick, Agreed that a BT is a bit soft for a shoulder, but losing a trophy buck to a TSX was all I needed to experience to switch to faster opening BT's.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
A good rule of thumb is to place the bullet so it will hit the far shoulder if the animal isn't directly broadside. That ensure you get the vitals. That trick was taught to me by a PH in Africa and it has held true in my experience. It isn't high tech and it isn't fancy but it is effective.
That's if quartering away, not towards.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by MAC

Wrong. It works an all angles. In order for the bullet to hit the far shoulder it has to go through the heart/lung area. Try it. It works.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neck/shoulder junction. Will break spine and be an instant kill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe 7 o'clock on my dot, maybe the dot. Somewhere right there will work fine. No steps will be taken and if any are his nose will be in the dirt with his ass pushing him about 10 yards max.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/16/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Wrong. It works an all angles. In order for the bullet to hit the far shoulder it has to go through the heart/lung area. Try it. It works.
If you aim for far shoulder on a quartering to animal your bullet will be to the off side of the vitals. To center em you will want to aim at the neck/shoulder junction of the shoulder towards you.

No reason to worry about heart/lungs. Take out the CNS and it's lights out.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by MAC
+1 Good advice.

My rule of thumb is to aim where you want the bullet to exit on the far side.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pertnear
Originally Posted by MAC
+1 Good advice.

My rule of thumb is to aim where you want the bullet to exit on the far side.
So aiming for opposing shoulder will get vitals??
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pnc personal banking

Be lucky if it even goes to the inside of the bone on the opposite shoulder, a good chance of bullet turning and may catch a little neck meat and blow meat from outside of shoulder. Far from a lethal shot. Aim for the bullet to exit behind ribs if you want to catch center of vitals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aim for opposite shoulder here and see where it gets you. Will work fine if you go high enough and break spine.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Put it right in his shirt pocket. Right to the inboard side of the nearest shoulder, just like 10ga’s first picture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Too far to the left..

Only saving grace to that shot might be that the NBT flies apart and gets some lung. A sturdy bullet will likely just tear a bunch of meat out and now you've got a runner.

Farther right and a whisker lower for me.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Too far to the left..

Only saving grace to that shot might be that the NBT flies apart and gets some lung. A sturdy bullet will likely just tear a bunch of meat out and now you've got a runner.

Just like my statement says except go up for my preference. CNS immobilized.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Too far to the left..

Just like my statement says except go up for my preference. CNS immobilized.

Either or, for up or down. Yep. But DEFINITELY come right another 1/4 of the deer's width.

Bang. Dead.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Point of shoulder…..exit the ham! If you’re using bullets that will not fragment! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/16/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another angle quartering to:

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.