Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pertnear
Originally Posted by MAC
A good rule of thumb is to place the bullet so it will hit the far shoulder if the animal isn't directly broadside. That ensure you get the vitals. That trick was taught to me by a PH in Africa and it has held true in my experience. It isn't high tech and it isn't fancy but it is effective.
+1 Good advice.

My rule of thumb is to aim where you want the bullet to exit on the far side.

“Whatever you’re thinkin, rethink it.” Hit him on the point of the shoulder, of course. A bit high as to OP says he’s hunting from a tree. Just for fun, what if he’s facing straight towards you? Then there is no “far shoulder “. Maybe have to pass that one? 😁

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
One of my FAVORITE shots on Critters. You get to break a front and rear axle,skewing vitals along the way. PERFECT! Hint.

No thanks on a 140 NBT for anything. Hint.............

+1!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Wait for it to move a little

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by MAC
A good rule of thumb is to place the bullet so it will hit the far shoulder if the animal isn't directly broadside. That ensure you get the vitals. That trick was taught to me by a PH in Africa and it has held true in my experience. It isn't high tech and it isn't fancy but it is effective.
+1 Good advice.

So aiming for opposing shoulder will get vitals??
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pnc personal banking

Be lucky if it even goes to the inside of the bone on the opposite shoulder, a good chance of bullet turning and may catch a little neck meat and blow meat from outside of shoulder. Far from a lethal shot. Aim for the bullet to exit behind ribs if you want to catch center of vitals.
At this angle you are not going to want the bullet to exit the far shoulder. You would aim to have bullet exit just behind the far shoulder. Then either DRT or a couple of steps.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot him in the face.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
+1 Good advice.

So aiming for opposing shoulder will get vitals??
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pnc personal banking

Be lucky if it even goes to the inside of the bone on the opposite shoulder, a good chance of bullet turning and may catch a little neck meat and blow meat from outside of shoulder. Far from a lethal shot. Aim for the bullet to exit behind ribs if you want to catch center of vitals.
At this angle you are not going to want the bullet to exit the far shoulder. You would aim to have bullet exit just behind the far shoulder. Then either DRT or a couple of steps.
Like my original post.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Shoot him in the face.
That works pretty good as well.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Why make a mess of meat by shooting in the shoulder at 75 yards? I was taught years ago that the white patch on the throat was the best place to hit a deer coming at you or when quartering to you at 75 yards. It has always worked for me and meat waste is minimal.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Too far to the left..

Only saving grace to that shot might be that the NBT flies apart and gets some lung. A sturdy bullet will likely just tear a bunch of meat out and now you've got a runner.

Farther right and a whisker lower for me.

Why do you think a Nosler ballistic tip isn’t a sturdy bullet?

Last edited by tzone; 10/16/22.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Shoot him in the face.

Agree 100%

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tzone
Why do you think a Nosler ballistic tip isn’t a sturdy bullet?

I’ll toss in my experience chasing down and having to help kill three pigs and a deer in one day while helping a group. One guy was using a .25-06 with NBT’s. They were making holes like scoops of ice cream. There was enough force to stun the animal, which would recover, get up, and then start running off in the brush. Lent the hunter my backup in .308, and the problems stopped. That was the worst, but not only bad experience with NBT’s.

TTSX’s, not the TSX, top my list for hunting bullets these days. I mostly hunt in thorn brush country. Shots beyond 200 are pretty rare, so high bc is not needed. If high bc is needed, finding the LRX to work nicely.

My favorite of all shot placements is quartering at the hunter, put it on the front point of the near side shoulder with an exit just behind the rear of the offside shoulder. They drop where they stand with minimal meat loss.

Neck roasts are nice pieces of meat. So that is low on the list of choices, but does work if needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot him in the face.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Nevada, next to the road.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shoot that one in his left eye. Instant death, and you will have a set of horns to rattle with .

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Neck/shoulder junction. Will break spine and be an instant kill.

Maybe 7 o'clock on my dot, maybe the dot. Somewhere right there will work fine. No steps will be taken and if any are his nose will be in the dirt with his ass pushing him about 10 yards max.

^^^THIS^^^ but maybe a hair lower at the base of the neck in front of the shoulder. Like 10gaugemag said, maybe at 7:00 of where his dot is. There's a lot of plumbing that goes through there. I shot one there with a bow one time and when he spun around, it was like a garden hose spraying blood out of his neck.

I've killed a ton of deer with that shot.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/17/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm generally going for a hit anywhere in this outline with a rifle.

Now with even more aplomb
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
The shot shown above is correct. Edk

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tzone, Why don't I think that a Nosler Ballistic Tip is a sturdy bullet?
Being a Midwestern guy like yourself, you know that we just can't shoot that many deer up here, so my sample size is relatively small. I try to stay away from shoulder shots, so the deer that I've killed with a Core-Lokt, Interlock, Accubond, Silvertip, Partition, slug and TSX all ran after the shot. The deer that I've killed with an SST and Ballistic Tip didn't. Last year's buck fell at the shot from a shot high in the back, but a little too far back. I'm not sure that I broke the spine on that one, but there was enough shock to put him down and keep him there. Then I shot him again in the neck and the skin around his neck was stretched out of shape with about a 1" diameter exit wound. Seeing that told me that the expansion from that BT was pretty violent.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Neck/shoulder junction. Will break spine and be an instant kill.

Maybe 7 o'clock on my dot, maybe the dot. Somewhere right there will work fine. No steps will be taken and if any are his nose will be in the dirt with his ass pushing him about 10 yards max.

^^^THIS^^^ but maybe a hair lower at the base of the neck in front of the shoulder. Like 10gaugemag said, maybe at 7:00 of where his dot is. There's a lot of plumbing that goes through there. I shot one there with a bow one time and when he spun around, it was like a garden hose spraying blood out of his neck.

I've killed a ton of deer with that shot.

All dependent upon height/angle of where the bullet is coming from IMO

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
I'm generally going for a hit anywhere in this outline with a rifle.

I concur.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.