Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by onehandgunner
I do think that Unique is probably the most universal powder around with Universal right on its heels. I have used Unique and Universal in my 45-70 as well as the pistol calibers that I load for. I have not done much with BE-86 but have read that those who have used it for 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 44 Mag do like it. My son shoots 45 ACP and I shoot milder than mid range 44 mag loads using BE-86. I'm happy.
Yes, a lot of ignorant noobs think that until they try any of the zillions of better powders.

I like zippy 45acp so I'm fond of AA5, Silhouette, HS6, Power Pistol - my thumbs are getting tired....

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a good supply of older Unique from an estate sale.

It's not the cleanest, but not that dirty if you shoot it hot.

I'm sure there are better, newer powders, but the old powder has done it's thing for decades and has great shelf life.

There may be better choices, but Unique if never a bad choice, especially if you have a bunch of it during a time of shortages.

DF

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Look at a powder burn rate chart. Neighbors on the chart work similar. Hasbeen

what he said

Universal vs Unique

Tite Group vs Bullseye

and others

https://loaddata.com/images/articles/burnratechartnew.pdf

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
45ACP ..red dot works well . Newer powders sport pistol is very good in 45 ACP ..BE 86 is geared towards 9mm / 40 s&w

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
45ACP ..red dot works well . Newer powders sport pistol is very good in 45 ACP ..BE 86 is geared towards 9mm / 40 s&w

Try..........Trail Boss

Although I hear its scarce now too

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Is BE-86 as versatile as Unique?
How about Universal Clays?

I love universal clays. Yes, that is what I call it too because that is what it used to be called and I burned up a dump truck load of it in my trap loads. Now it is just called "Universal". Works great in the 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Very clean burning, unlike unique. That stuff is dirty.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I love universal clays. Yes, that is what I call it too because that is what it used to be called and I burned up a dump truck load of it in my trap loads. Now it is just called "Universal". Works great in the 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Very clean burning, unlike unique. That stuff is dirty.

Hmmmmmm

thought it was two different products ??

My Universal bottle(s) say nothing of 'Clays Technology'

https://shop.hodgdon.com/compare/172/178

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Red dot, Longshot, Herco, Tight Group , are all usable for the same cartridges I use Bullseye and Unique for.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 10/21/22.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Universal is the huckleberry.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Nitro100NF works well for Bullseye-ish loads, and a little goes a long way, but it can be hard to find sometimes.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm asking because I've had good results using Unique in everything from fairly light 38spl wadcutter loads, to 44 mag mid-range loads, to some fairly warm 45 Colt loads (270 SAA at 950 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel)
Always got pretty good accuracy.

Unique is hard to find, so looking for something as versatile.
May look into subsonic 223 loads, at some point - it might work there, too.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have been using Power Pistol in place of Unique, although I never loaded light loads with Unique. Usually std pressure or or slightly hotter an Power Pistol works well in this role and meters like a dream.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a couple cans of International I got from the previously mentioned estate sale.

Some say International can cause pressure spikes when used in pistol and revolver ammo, thus not much data other than shotgun.

Anybody using it in handguns?

I've read it's OK with low velocity CAS loads, but not recommended for full house loads due to pressure spikes.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hmmmmmm

thought it was two different products ??

My Universal bottle(s) say nothing of 'Clays Technology'

https://shop.hodgdon.com/compare/172/178

Hmm. OK
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, I think that is what someone who went on a rant here about people getting confused about the name "Universal Clays" and "Clays". He stated some people were confused and tried using them interchangeably. Why? Who the fu ck knows? Pure stupidity because they were 2 different powders. It's like people mistaking green dot with red dot and then claiming to be color blind. The new bottles look like this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Universal and Universal Clays is the same powder. Clays is not the same as Universal..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used it in 45acp.

The problem I had was it was prone to squibs in cold weather. I was using standard primers, magnum might have worked better. Ran fine in warm weather. I wouldn't recommend it for 45acp unless it was all you had.
I never used it in shotgun.

"Pressure spikes" is a bullshit term tossed around by mental midgets who don't understand what "max load" means in their reloading data.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Power Pistol and True Blue have become favorites of mine

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I sure hope Unique has just disappeared because people are hoarding it...

I've been using it in the 223 for economy and range practice shooting steel at 300 and 400 yds...
I'm down to about 12 pounds of it left...but at 700 rounds of 223 out of a pound... it goes a long way...

Just saving my Blue Dot for varmint season, but also playing with alternatives, to broaden my base....
Unique has been working well....

Some jerk stole 40 pounds of Alliant Steel and about 100,000 plus primers out of my garage, earlier this year...
Desperate times make people around here, make people do schidty things... and of course Oregon legalizing all sorts of drug use, couldn't have added to that problem, could it? Friggin DemocRATS....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm asking because I've had good results using Unique in everything from fairly light 38spl wadcutter loads, to 44 mag mid-range loads, to some fairly warm 45 Colt loads (270 SAA at 950 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel)
Always got pretty good accuracy.

Unique is hard to find, so looking for something as versatile.
May look into subsonic 223 loads, at some point - it might work there, too.

Hey Birthday Boy!

ya wanna know some info and results of Unique in 223s loads?

Ya got my number.. gimme a hollar!

give my best to "The WARDEN"....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
I sure hope Unique has just disappeared because people are hoarding it...

I've been using it in the 223 for economy and range practice shooting steel at 300 and 400 yds...
I'm down to about 12 pounds of it left...but at 700 rounds of 223 out of a pound... it goes a long way...

Just saving my Blue Dot for varmint season, but also playing with alternatives, to broaden my base....
Unique has been working well....

Some jerk stole 40 pounds of Alliant Steel and about 100,000 plus primers out of my garage, earlier this year...
Desperate times make people around here, make people do schidty things... and of course Oregon legalizing all sorts of drug use, couldn't have added to that problem, could it? Friggin DemocRATS....

Stolt your primers?!!!

Some beach!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good reason to be secretive secure.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,071 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.