Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Today had the OC on for a bit when a very informative Utah elk hunt enlightened my afternoon.

The main protagonist seemingly bought a rifle - on the video - at an sporting goods store after the salesman informed him that the 338 Federal was the cat's fedora for elk and that the Fusion bullet was the ticket.

Later in the show after the bull took a hit and went for a walk the hunter told us the 338 Fusion-the cartridge-really did the trick. The bullet of course had been the Fusion, the cartridge the 338 Federal, and the hunter the CONFUSION. It seemed the guide or some other support personal corrected him with calling it the 338 Federal. The hunter went on to say that it could do 3000 fps; yea,... probably with an aspirin tablet.

On another episode, JZ was on a western mulie hunt with his 338 RUM but had taken 300 RUM ammo along and after watching a good buck acknowledged that they'd have to go into town for the correct ammo that evening.

I don't mean to be overly critical but the quality of some of these shows seem to be on the order of a "B" movie...on a good day.

Gdv

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
When the producer goes for photogenic vs a hunter that's the result. Just like modern "music" is about looks the computers can make anyone sing "on key" they just all sound alike.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I especially hate the new Federal show with that Bozo washed up actor that always talks in a deep hard ass voice. This might even be the show you are talking about. This guy knows absolutely nothing about hunting, he said he was a marine, yet missed a 150yd broadside shot from the prone position on a mulie. I will never watch this show. Makes you wonder!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yeah, but he was a mean SOB in Deadwood. smile

I agree, he is ignorant regarding these things.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
I
IAK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
That guy is a douche bag. Federal really dropped the ball when they picked this guy. And i agree that he is a terrible shot. Watch the Africa episode where he gut shoots a wildebeest.

Last edited by IAK; 10/29/07.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't forget Tred Barta...ain't he a Dandy....tt

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I watched in disbelief last night a show on the Sportsmans Channel.
Don't remember the show name except they were "hunting" on Hawes Ranch. A couple of dudes dressed up in old time clothes, had a couple of hounds that were chasing some sort of exotic animal around. the dudes took a couple of shots at animals running...missed. Later, with a fence in the background, the dogs stirred up a herd of elk that had some sort of exotic running with it that they eventually killed. In one short scene after the shot you could see the animal draging its hind quarters trying to get away.

I really believe that some of these so called hunting shows are going to give the anti-hunting people ammunition to use against us.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I agree with Zeke.....some of these so called 'outdoor' shows could be used against us since they are so poorly produced and have such a doofus as a host. I'm afraid that Hollywood has come to the Outdoor Channel or so it would appear.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zeke612

I really believe that some of these so called hunting shows are going to give the anti-hunting people ammunition to use against us.

I didn't mention that but it's really one of the chief concerns.

Gdv

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tred is a nutjob, but at least he shows his bad shots instead of editing them out. He is a damn good fisherman though, gotta give him that, darn sure don't want to be around Tred with a bow though, he scares me. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Who is on that show??? Have not watched it yet....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tred Barta's Outdoor show, i can't remember the official title, but it is on VS. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Watching those "hunting" shows just ticks me off. How is going out to a pay to play ranch where the deer eat out of food plots every day at the same time hunting? Everybody knows the deer are gonna be there. It's just shooting deer. Deer that at times seem to know there are people around but don't seem to concerned. After all its probaly just that old guy that fills the feeder right?

Sportsman? I don't think so.

There, I probaly just PO'd a bunch of people on this site.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Na Wallaby, we have had this discussion many times. Some on the fire are Ok hunting penned game and others think you are one of the lowest scum of the earth because you've shot a tame deer and called it hunting. For some, a fence, no matter how far away means that the animals are all put and take. For others, a fence doesn't bother 'em. Let the flames begin !

Rolly
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I guess its what ever floats your boat. I don't care to shoot anything thats got his head in a feeder, even if that feeder is one that someone planted, ie. biologic or whatever. If thats what one wants to do and call it hunting I say go for it. Just does not interest me.

These goofball people who call themselves "pro-staffers" that are on the outdoor channels very often sicken me.

Any more about the only one I like to watch is Eastmans Outdoor Journal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Best and Worst of Tred Barta. I like him, no canned hunts there. A huge percentage of the rest of the stuff is embarrassing, and I find myself watching less and less and less....

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I actually like Barta. He seems as real as it gets. Like said before, he doesnt seem to cut out his mistakes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was looking forward to hunting shows....

They are the worst thing that ever happened to us IMHO though. And so friggin fake they way they film the stuff.....

I still think Gander Mountain is one of the best thats out though, it does show life in reality and many failures, or did last time I saw it about a year ago. And they are not killing HUGE FREE bucks etc...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are only a couple or so hunting shows I enjoy watching these days. Most are just buffoonish.

American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy was and will probably always be the best outdoor show ever produced, IMHO.

Weiners are health food - My dad
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There is one show that talks about deer behavior, biology and management; I find this kind of information interesting and possibly helpful.

The worst thing about the about most of the poorly produced hunting shows is they make hunting look easy. They give no sense of what it is like to be fustrated and tired, hot and tired, confused and tired, cold and tired, wet and tired and all the other situations that can make hunting a tough sport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,878
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.