Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Keep it coming. It's all great stuff.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My friend Liam and the one we called the Swamp Bear. Killed with a 1966 Savage 110 7mm mag. When carving it up, his wife found that it had a .375 caliber bullet behind the left shoulder blade in a wad of puss. I put it there last year. So much for the .375 Winchester....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Shooting this rifle has been sort of interesting. When I got the cases from my dad, he included a box of loaded ammo. Some ancient Federal 150 soft points. They even had corrosion on them 🤣🤣. So after I had it all back together, it shot the Federal into a nice 3/4” group. 41 grains of Varget shot the same group to the same point of impact. So I figured that would do.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
And note the $6.19 price written on the boxes. 😳

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congratulations to all who have made meat with a fine hunting arm! That moose pic is great yukon7x57!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Today was my day to fill a tag. Real nice blacktail and a fabulous hunt. Rifle is the old Savage 110 7 mag shooting, you guessed it, the 145 grain Speer btsp. Same bullet I shoot in the 284. Fantastic bullet.

Glassed him and his friend up at 900 yards on the next ridge over. Made the trip across and stalked into 100 yards or so. Shot him in his bed when he stood up.

LOL
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
nice one. Going out elk hunting in a few minutes

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon7x57
My wifes 1st moose. And her 1926 vintage .303 that I restocked to fit her. Two shots with 150 gn hornady round nose over IMR 4064. The 2nd shot was redundant, I prefer not to risk a longer than necessary pack job!

Everyone involved with THAT hunt should be struttin' like a Peacock. THANK YOU for sharing and Congratulations.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats! And where did you find Breezy? Her fence is down and she keeps escaping.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 10/24/22.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice one Roy! and another good story! Saw him at 900 yds, 7mag with no recoil pad!(REAL man stuff!)!

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Today was my day to fill a tag. Real nice blacktail and a fabulous hunt. Rifle is the old Savage 110 7 mag shooting, you guessed it, the 145 grain Speer btsp. Same bullet I shoot in the 284. Fantastic bullet.

Glassed him and his friend up at 900 yards on the next ridge over. Made the trip across and stalked into 100 yards or so. Shot him in his bed when he stood up.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Jeff. Hunting blacktails like this is my dream hunt. I'm fortunate to be able to do it every year. When I got him home and went to hoist him up in the garage I realized my hoist was still in deer camp, 30 miles away. I looked around and found my dads old hoist, the one I grew up using when dad, grandpa, mom, and I got blacktails. Cool I thought, I'll just use this one.

As I began to lift him out of the truck with the old hoist a wave of emotion overtook me when I saw that blacktail going up that hoist. I got all choked up and had to stop for a minute and get my composure.

Dad and grandpa must be looking down thinking "I think that boy was paying attention".

Sure wish they were both here now so we could talk about big ol' blacktails like the old days. Dad could repeat the story of the one he jacklighted in the orchard and shot with the Parker shotgun and how it charged him and he bent the barrels of that shotgun over it's rack when it went by him. grandpa could tell the story of how he jumped a big 4x4 blacktail from his bed and shot it in the back of the head as it dodged and weaved to get out of there. On his way over to find it, it jumped up and he had to shoot it again.

When he got there, there were two big bucks laying a few feet apart. That happened in 1924 and you were allowed two deer back then. This is that pair (on each side of a mule deer I got archery hunting in 1987).

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"..how it charged him and he bent the barrels of that shotgun over it's rack when it went by him. grandpa could tell the story of how he jumped a big 4x4 blacktail from his bed.."

I shot him in my pajamas! .., how he got in them I'll never know!"

Great stories, Great memories Roy! Yes, obviously You were paying attention!

JeffG
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
great stories. I love this kind of stuff

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
great stories. I love this kind of stuff

Well, in that case...

Tonight I drove the 30 miles to get my camp buttoned up and bring it home. I stopped and glassed a mountainside and found a great bear. He was headed downhill, probably to water, and wow, what a bruiser.

I got over there as fast as I could but the big bastard gave me the slip. Dang it, but I glassed all the canyons and circled the mountain right before dark. Came across some big buck tracks and had a grand time. All that after work.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spent the day on the mountain. Tracked a big bull elk just for fun, no tag. Saw lots of buck tracks chasing does, and tracked this guy to his denning area and tried like hell to call him in. Lots of snow falling out of the trees had me on my toes. Needed someone covering the backside! I stopped when he dove off the north slope a half mile from the truck.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
great pictures Roy, what is the bear density around there? You seem to find them whenever you want!

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good numbers of bears. Much easier to find than big blacktail bucks!

LOL
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Yesterday late morning chasing a doe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice and a good looking rifle.

Lee

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.