Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well on a resent trip up to the NE I went into a gun shop in Hookset NH and found something I "needed to bring home" with me.
Never own a Ithaca SXS before but it is tight and a 16ga so why not....
Anyway, not sure what I bought (other than a nice old SXS) The serial number is 379***, from what I can tell, I think it was made around 1936.
Any help or info on this would be appreciated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

missing the grip cap, need to find one for it

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks like an Ithaca Flues Model. SN suggests 1924.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, I knew somebody would know

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
When looking the number up on my cell phone, it looked like the serial number and date read straight across. After your post, I went and looked again but turned my phone and you are correct, date was 1924.
Thank you for the help

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool old gun !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sometimes these old workhorse beauties just call your name from the rack.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Shot my first dove, quail, and grouse with an Ithaca Flues like that one that my Dad bought from his barber for $10; that had to have been in the early to mid 1930's. I still have it.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have one of those too! 16 gauge, IC and Mod chokes. My father acquired it in the early 50s.

[Linked Image]

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Flues Model Ithacas are nice guns. We had a 16 around the house when I was a boy. IIRC, they were replaced by the NID model in 1926. I shoot a NID 12 often now. It is very well made and handles great.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I have one of those too! 16 gauge, IC and Mod chokes. My father acquired it in the early 50s.

[Linked Image]

Gosh, that one looks almost new! What a great family heirloom.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one of almost the same vintage. I bought it about 10 years ago. 28 inch bbl, mod and full,2.5 inch chamber. Pretty much the only gun I use for grouse hunting ( if really nasty weather I use my Ithaca 37 in 16 ). My friend has the same but with 26 in bbl's. Great old guns

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really like 16's and 20's and most likely would have passed on this had it been a 12. Nothing wrong with a 12 mind you but I like the smaller ga's better.
I need to find (it is on my list of things to do) a grip cap for this one (as you can see in one of the pictures, it is missing)

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You just cant beat the old SxS's regardless of make or gauge!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As always, I greatly appreciate those who are intelligent enough to know how to spell Ithaca.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my 20 ga SxS is marked "Western Arms Branch Ithaca Gun" and is a 1940 made gun. It has taken a lot of small game and birds for me[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
What is the weight of a 20 ga in a 26” barrel if anyone knows? I am interested in one and have never seen anyone posting weigh of these older guns….was they built on smaller frames than the 12 gauge?

K
K
I have a Ithaca SKB 100 20ga with a 25" barrels which weighs in at around 5 3/4 lbs if I remember right. One of these days I will get one of the Ithaca NY produce SxS for now though I have a Japanese SKB 20ga and a 1950's M37 in 16ga.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Dad left me a 1923 model 12 ga. Feels solid. How does these hold up to high powered shells?

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by blairvt
My Dad left me a 1923 model 12 ga. Feels solid. How does these hold up to high powered shells?

If it was made in 1923 it is likely a Flues model. Still nice guns, they are not as strong as the NID which came out in 1926 IIRC. I believe that Ithaca 12’s made before 1926 sometimes had short chambers. Others may disagree but I would shoot low pressure 2.5in shells in a short chambered Flues. These are typically available from RST and sometimes from B&P. This assumes the gun is in sound condition. If it has Damascus barrels, then forget I said anything. I won’t wade into THAT discussion unarmed! Hope you enjoy Dad’s gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Every time someone is capable of spelling Ithaca correctly, they deserve recognition for it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got an old Ithaca 16 gauge. Needs a stock refinish. Light and nice.

LOL
E
E
Model and pictures?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 20-gauge Ithaca Flues made in 1923. 26" barrels, Imp. Cyl/Mod., double triggers. I use it for snipe hunting with 2.5" low-pressure shells from Polywad in Roberta, GA. However, I am just finding out that Polywad may not be in business any longer. These old Ithacas are known for throwing beautiful patterns, and mine does! It is recommended that you shoot low pressure shells in yours, hope we both can find a source.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by model70man

Sorry, I just noticed they are out of stock on 16 gauge, 2-1/2" shells.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
RST has essentially been shut down for over a year with the supply issues.

Last edited by battue; 01/01/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hikerbum

A gorgeous 16 gauge NID called my name from the rack at a small gunshop one day. It went home with me and I enjoyed it for several years. Unfortunately, it was calling my brother's name all that time and now resides with him. That's okay, I've got his Browning Double Automatic.

Eventually, the forend lug came loose from the barrels on the Ithaca. (My brother only has the use of his right arm, and the uncontrolled recoil impulse has worked strange mischief on a few shotguns, including the above mentioned Browning which is why I've got it now.) I drilled and countersunk a clearance hole for an 8-32 or 10-32 machine screw up through the forend lug and, from there spotted a hole to tap in the rib for the screw, screwed the lug on through the rib, cut the screw of and made it invisible from above with a needle file, and life went on happily ever after with that gun.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I hate a two timing gun, one that calls me and someone else as well....lol.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by cra1948

A gorgeous 16 gauge NID called my name from the rack at a small gunshop one day. It went home with me and I enjoyed it for several years. Unfortunately, it was calling my brother's name all that time and now resides with him. That's okay, I've got his Browning Double Automatic.

Eventually, the forend lug came loose from the barrels on the Ithaca. (My brother only has the use of his right arm, and the uncontrolled recoil impulse has worked strange mischief on a few shotguns, including the above mentioned Browning which is why I've got it now.) I drilled and countersunk a clearance hole for an 8-32 or 10-32 machine screw up through the forend lug and, from there spotted a hole to tap in the rib for the screw, screwed the lug on through the rib, cut the screw of and made it invisible from above with a needle file, and life went on happily ever after with that gun.

A nice NID 16 is sort of on my wish list. I’ve come close a few times but never “pulled the trigger “.

My present NID is a 30 inch 12ga. With nicer than average wood and checkering for a Field Grade, it may be a Special Field model. The barrels are not heavy and it points like a dream. I load it with bismuth when ducks are on the agenda. If geese are expected I usually take a different gun, not wanting to expose it to goose load recoil. The action is plenty strong but it still has 85 yr old wood. The one time I took it on a goose hunt I shot two doubles on Giant Canadas. Long story but a memorable day.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cra1948

That Sir is a great idea!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talk about "whispering your name"!
Rem "Sportsman", 16 gauge. S/N suggests it was one of the first 500 made in 1932. Well used, but not mistreated!
Had shoulder replacement surgery in 2019. Doc said, "Easy on the recoil"!.
I passed the Rem 870 12 bore to the youngest.
This old beauty is still a bit much. A couple of rounds during turkey season isn't bad, but I still wouldn't want to shoot a round of skeet with it! LOL!

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
After 2 shoulder surgery's, I gave up the 12 ga on turkey and went to a 20 ga. Wish I had done it long before I did.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice pullit, enjoy!

My dad and I back when I was 12. We were in Huron, SD and I was using dad's Ithaca Flues Model 1 1/2 12 gauge. Case color on receiver, nice floral engraving, kicked like a mule! Lol! The stock had been shortened and even at 12, didn't fit me for beans. Didn't stop me though...

Enjoy your 16ga, very nice!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks Dean, an ill fitting shotgun is no fun to shoot for sure, kicks like a rented mule. When you are young, you can handle recoil better, or at least I could.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
After 2 shoulder surgery's, I gave up the 12 ga on turkey and went to a 20 ga. Wish I had done it long before I did.

I even went so far as to pick up a Mossberg bolt action .410 to cut down on recoil! LOL! Ten rounds of #9 TSS shot in .410 cost me $60!!! 🤯 Sure would like to take at least ONE turkey with that setup!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
At what date would it be safe to have reamed for 3" shells?
After a certain serial number?
I see these from time to time.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Nessmuk

Why do that at all? Pheasants, ducks and geese can easily be killed with 2 3/4in shells. Lead or Bismuth, of course.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Nessmuk

Not trying to tell you what to do, but I can truthfully say that I never killed anything with a 3" shell that I could not have killed with a 2 3/4" shell.
Just something to think about .

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If I found a suitable donor. I'd likely get screw in chokes, lengthened forcing cones, might as well add 3 inch chambers for turkey.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ness, just for your information. I had a very nice Browning S X S 12 ga cut for 3" shells. Mostly I shot 2 3/4s for birds, but I decided to try some 3" shells for gobblers. To my shock, it shot far to the left point of aim, and about 18" low. Put in a field load and it was beautiful. Just something to think about.

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.