-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what your issue is, But I have a 1" rod with a hole center bored in it so I can use two lasers to center two windage adjustable rings to the bore. (Or use same laser both bores with the gun in vice and don't move)
Most lasers have plastic or rubber grommets with an Aluminum taper on the body so don't see how that could harm the bore.
As someone in a mechanical field, I have always considered ratcheting devices to there extreme limit to be playing Russian Roulette, once you get it there it may not come back, so I do not center scopes that way. But know others that do and have so far been successful.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My advice is this; buy one where the batteries go in on the side as it should at least be consistent with a fixed laser. Screw in batteries at light end and screw on tail shafts could add error. Buy the cheapest one that has the highest rating as they are all probably made in the same place. Copies have driven out the quality names. Seem to be in the $25 range. There will always be anomalies with the laser, the gun and mounts that can widen the results, still should get you on paper and save you ammo with a relatively easy use.
Good Luck

Last edited by Savorino; 10/16/22.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darryle
My uncle used this method and I don't know that he ever verified zero afterwards, but killed a ton of deer with his rifles.

That would be a total waste of ammo [\sarc off]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
Thanks again, guys. Please read both of my posts. I can't do a conventional through the bore sight. Trust me, I'm not a rookie, I've done this dozens of times and things don't line up with this one. And I center my reticle by rotating in a V block. Something is off, barrel installed crooked, base screw holes? I'm trying to get a handle on things without multiple trips to the range.

Thanks to those who mentioned specific devices.

I have one of those sightlite SL-100's. It works well but I don't love cramming it down the bore. I lube it up pretty well each time. It's a hassle to get the right o-rings in place for your caliber but you can just leave them on. It is very accurate, though I still prefer to just look down the bore.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1040332264?pid=370798

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
As I mentioned in my OP, the problem is the rifle, so conventional bore sighting looking through the bore did not work. I mentioned that in my post. I know how to sight in. Between my son and me, we have a century of experience, including competition. This is a long range target rig, not grandpa's hunting rifle (I am Grandpa). With everything starting from zero, scope centered, bore sighted, it shoots a foot or more low and 6 inches right at 100 yards, the opposite of what you want, runs out of elevation at longer ranges. Nightforce target scope, Burris extra tall 30mm Signature rings. Corrected with a combination of base shims and Burris offset inserts. Had hoped to use a bore sighting device to avoid multiple trips to the range. Anyhow, got it dialed in using the shims and Burris inserts. Thanks again for the responses.

*Edit won't let me get rid of that extra nightfore at the bottom???

nightfore

Last edited by Paul39; 10/16/22.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best thing about the laser type is for setting up a chronograph. The rest of the time they are a useless gadget

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys, but I wasn't looking for advice on how to do basic bore sighting. BTDT. I have a problem rifle where conventional bore sighting doesn't work. I'm trying to diagnose the problem, and using a bore sighting device might help.
I have a laser bore sighter. It works good for those rifles you can't sight through a barrel. Mine has a magnet in it so it stays in the barrel IF the barrel is not stainless steel. Mine is a Site-Lite. It's expensive but worth it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1040332264?pid=370798

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I mentioned in my OP, the problem is the rifle, so conventional bore sighting looking through the bore did not work. I mentioned that in my post. I know how to sight in. Between my son and me, we have a century of experience, including competition. This is a long range target rig, not grandpa's hunting rifle (I am Grandpa). With everything starting from zero, scope centered, bore sighted, it shoots a foot or more low and 6 inches right at 100 yards, the opposite of what you want, runs out of elevation at longer ranges. Nightforce target scope, Burris extra tall 30mm Signature rings. Corrected with a combination of base shims and Burris offset inserts. Had hoped to use a bore sighting device to avoid multiple trips to the range. Anyhow, got it dialed in using the shims and Burris inserts. Thanks again for the responses.

nightfore
I would check the muzzle for a nick. I had a mini 14 I had to take some of the muzzle off of because some of the rifling simply disappeared just before the end of the barrel. It was a factory flaw and it took me a while to figure out what the issue was.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Paul,

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a rifle to send bullets,where the barrel ain't looking. Hint.

Start from the start,what EXACTLY is said platform? Hint.

NightFarce as a whole,is VERY troubled in erector travel. The 12-42x56 has 40MOA total,the 8-32x56 50MOA,the 15-55x52 has 55MOA and the 5.5-22x50 has 60MOA...all of which is fhuqking pitiful. Hint.

25yd paper will NEVER not relate all and instantly. MECHANICALLY center windage first,in order to coax erector travel. From there,you know how the dust settles. Hint.

I shoot nearly 100 scopes that wear 150 MOA or more on their erectors alone. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I asked a question, got answers. Not interested in participating in a symposium or debate. Stick's point about limited travel of the Nightforce is valid.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple/few particulars cited and The Cure,just might could help a few folks out down the road. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an old Tasco, gets me on paper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old BSA Boresighter that I've had for probably close to 20 years. It goes from .17 caliber up to .50, only it does not have a 20 caliber collet. It works just as advertised, and will get a rifle on paper so you can finish the zero process.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Any recommendations for sighting in an AR platform? I've used the laser but it doesn't seem to get my close. And, no I'm not taking my rifle apart to sight it in. My BSA boresighter thing isn't tall enough to work on an AR.

Thanks,

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Any recommendations for sighting in an AR platform? I've used the laser but it doesn't seem to get my close. And, no I'm not taking my rifle apart to sight it in. My BSA boresighter thing isn't tall enough to work on an AR.

Thanks,

Jeff

You are right about a BSA boresighter not working on a AR. I zero a scope on my AR's by removing the bolt assembly, and looking through the barrel, pick a spot and move the crosshairs to that spot. It will almost always put you on paper at 25 yards.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

Thanks,

Jeff

Take a shot at a cut bank, and adjust as needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All this got me thinking, and I looked on Amazon to see what was out there now. They sell a Wheeler laser that mounts on the muzzle with a strong magnet like some collimaters do. It’s here now, and I’ll give it a try when the rail for my new pumpgun gets here. Meanwhile, I’ll try it out with a couple that are already dialed in to see how close it comes.

The instructions say that the alignment on the muzzle isn't critical, as the error will be the same at 25 yards, assuming a square muzzle. Need to put some tape on the magnet to prevent scratching the surface on shotgun barrels I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use a green Sitelight laser bore sighter. You can see it at 100 yards in broad daylight. Works well with hardly if any actual shooting needed to sight in. Maybe a click or two. Under 100 yards probably not even a click and you could still hit a deer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a bunch of "bore-sighters" that will get you close enough to hit paper at 100 yards, usually pretty closely. However, several other traditional techniques will do the same thing.

But as I have explained in a number of magazines articles and a couple of books over the past 20-some years, the BEST use of a collimator occurs during scope mounting--to get the scope, with its adjustments centered, reasonably lined up with the bore. This ensures there's a LOT of adjustment room--and that the adjustments work as correctly as they can with that particular scope. This usually isn't as simple as just clamping a scope in the rings, but helps considerably.

There's a chapter on how to use a "bore-sighter" for this purpose in both Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading and Modern Hunting Optics, available through www.riflesandrecipes.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m pretty good at bore-sighting the old-fashioned way, occasionally getting it almost perfect. This gadget is an experiment for the ones I can’t look through the bores. I also want to try it on shotguns for checking fit. As mentioned earlier, the set I tried that fit in the chambers were doomed by crookedy emitters. Wheeler claims this one is carefully aligned, then the adjustments sealed with super-duper stickum. Put it on a .22 pistol with a red dot and aimed down the hallway; looked pretty good.

I’ve been known to pre-sight .22s by firing into a trap placed on a stepstool in my basement. If this contraption works it might prevent me from shooting my stool, ……….again.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.