Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My search didn't turn up a whole lot about these stocks, so I figured I'd share my experience in case others are curious. This is one of Stocky's carbon fiber "Hunter" stocks for the Howa, long action, factory sporter barrel channel. They have some blemished ones discounted, which is what I bought (here). I'll be dropping a Howa barreled action in 6.5 PRC (from Brownell's) into this.

They advertise the LA version at 22-23 oz. Mine came in at just under 20 oz on my kitchen scale:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Barrel channel is about 0.840" at the tip of the forend, a bit wider than I was expecting:
[Linked Image]

Here are a few more pics of the inletting. Nothing major to complain about. I'll be bedding the full length of the action.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bottom metal fits nice and tight:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tang inletting is slightly off, but the bedding will take care of that:
[Linked Image]

The Limbsaver recoil pad is the most disappointing part. The pad itself isn't terrible, but the fit to the stock leaves much to be desired:
[Linked Image]

I don't think this is an anomaly or the reason this stock was considered blemished. All the photos of these stocks online show an ill-fitting recoil pad. I'll either live with it or ask my gunsmith about replacing it with a Decelerator. LOP is about 13 5/8", which I consider perfect.

I'll update this thread when I get it bedded. A sponge camo job is also in the works. That should cover up some of the seams and other imperfections. Overall, I'm happy with it. It cost me less than a B&C and with a little work, I'll have a stock I think I'll like better. Hard to beat 20 oz.

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Looks good, be sure to update us on the finished product!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
some folks relish the slack in the back of the tang with the reasoning being accuracy.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jeeper
some folks relish the slack in the back of the tang with the reasoning being accuracy.

Think a layer of tape around the back of the tang would do it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
much appreciate these photos and info ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Where's the blem?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That should be a relatively nice rifle for around $700. You've almost got me pulling the trigger on both the barreled action and the blem stock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm considering one of these for my Howa Mini.

Wondering if the blem is the fit of the pad to stock?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by plumbum
Where's the blem?

Originally Posted by bruinruin
Wondering if the blem is the fit of the pad to stock?

It could be the pad. That's the worst to my eye, anyway. The other noticeable things are the seam between the two halves, which sits a bit proud; a few spots where the outer layer (of epoxy, I'm guessing? maybe just a clear coat) is thin and kind of rough; and what looks like a little bubble right behind the safety (although it occurred to me that this might be a provision for some kind of safety/fire indicator).

After inserting and removing the barreled action a few times, I have noticed that the inletting is pretty tight. It's takes some fiddling to get the tang and recoil lug seated perfectly. I'll have to spend some time with the Dremel before I bed it.

In any case, it's nothing I can't live with. With a little bit of strategic paint application it should look pretty nice. And for <$800 after all the shipping and transfer fees, I think I'll be happy with my choices.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
By the way, the total package weighs 6 lbs 7 oz, which puts it right in the same weight class as a Tikka T3x Lite—what I would have bought if they offered it in 6.5 PRC.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Any updates? I've been thinking about building the same, but the Howa barreled actions are pretty heavy and I'd prefer a shorter throw bolt. If only Tikka made a 6.5 PRC is the regular lite or extra lite

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
They're no featherweights, but I thought 6.5 lbs was about right. At least for what I intend to use it for.

I haven't done a whole lot to it other than bed the action in MarineTex and apply some rough-textured epoxy grip panels around the wrist and on either side of the fore-end. It didn't take long to find a load it likes (I'm loading the 124 grain Hammer Hunter):

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'll also add that I like the setup well enough that I'm doing the exact same thing with a Mini in 6.5 Grendel, also purchased as a barreled action. It's getting bedded this weekend.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Maxwell
My search didn't turn up a whole lot about these stocks, so I figured I'd share my experience in case others are curious. This is one of Stocky's carbon fiber "Hunter" stocks for the Howa, long action, factory sporter barrel channel. They have some blemished ones discounted, which is what I bought (here). I'll be dropping a Howa barreled action in 6.5 PRC (from Brownell's) into this.
Very nice !
Thanks for taking the time to post that.

I did the B&C for my Howa 6ARC Mini
Fitment and quality was very good, but yours will be lighter no doubt about that.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad this thread was revived. Just ordered a short action Factory 2nd for my Vanguard. If nothing else I’ll get a stiffer, lighter stock that free floats the barrel.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Maxwell,
How is the barrel gap in the channel? Was it off centered before bedding??

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The barrel channel is wide. I think I provided a measurement in an earlier post. So it doesn't look great, but there's no question it's free floated. It's perceptibly off-center, but not terrible. I snapped a couple photos:

You get what you pay for, and this was a discounted blemished stock. That said, it's fairly stiff and it's very light, so I'm ok with it. One other fault that will matter more to some than others: the ergos are not great for shooting off a bench—the shape of the grip places your hand up high relative to the trigger rather than behind it. Now that I think about it, there's nothing about the ergos that I'm crazy about. The mini version seems to be designed a bit better, though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maxwell
The barrel channel is wide. I think I provided a measurement in an earlier post. So it doesn't look great, but there's no question it's free floated. It's perceptibly off-center, but not terrible. I snapped a couple photos:

You get what you pay for, and this was a discounted blemished stock. That said, it's fairly stiff and it's very light, so I'm ok with it. One other fault that will matter more to some than others: the ergos are not great for shooting off a bench—the shape of the grip places your hand up high relative to the trigger rather than behind it. Now that I think about it, there's nothing about the ergos that I'm crazy about. The mini version seems to be designed a bit better, though.

Thank you sir!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Arrived today and dropped right in. The recoil pad hangs over the edge of the stock but it isn’t sloppy. Maybe 1/16”. The barrel is now free floated but fits centered in the channel. I am pleased so far. Maxwell what did you torque the action screws to?? The Weatherby manual states 35 in/lb for synthetic and wood and 55 in / lb for synthetic with aluminum blocks. Does the composite block meet the stiffness of aluminum?

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been using 35 with no issues. That’s after bedding the action but not the bottom metal (yet).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 17 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.