Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
IIRC this ammo always gets high marks for reliability - as in no duds - and very reliable functioning as in not gunking up firearms.

But how have y'all found it for accuracy across multiple platforms? Not counting true target ammo like SK, Wolf, Eley and such, how would you rate it for accuracy compared to Blazers, Remington Golden bullet, Winchester Super-X, Norma TAC 22 or others in what I'd call the mid-level range?

Looking specifically at the 40 grain round nose load.

[Linked Image from d3gxe0jmvtuxbc.cloudfront.net]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

S
S
Ovewr the years, I have done many tests with my 22 RF rifles. Testing for function and accuracy. The CCI Mini-Mag is outstanding for both. I buy it by the case! Grandkids can go through a lot of ammo 😊

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A little better than most bulk stuff in terms of groups. But 40 gr Blazer consistently shades it slightly in the accuracy dept in all my guns.

The real forte of minimags is reliability across the board in autoloaders. Every NFA owner I know uses minimags, almost exclusively. Stuff runs my Uzi like a chainsaw.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve never been impressed with their accuracy, but find CCI standard velocity to shoot well in a few rifles.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a few bricks of it that I purchased during the 22 shortage. Let's just say that in my rifles (Cooper, Tikka, CZ, all sporters) it gives "adequate" accuracy - about 3/4" for five shot groups at 50 yds and sometimes a bit larger. It is very rare to have a fail to fire with it.

I do have better accuracy from CCI S/V in the same rifles though - about 1/2" five shot groups at 50 yds and just as reliable, although I have read some reports from folks saying it does not operate reliably in semi-autos but I have no personal experience with using it in them.

CCI S/V is generally less expensive than Mini-Mags also.

Making holes in paper - CCI S/V.

Shooting gophers - CCI Mini-Mag HP.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, sounds like decent stuff but not exceptional.

Was looking on ammoseek.com and saw a good deal on it, 6.8 cents per round before sales tax, with free shipping if you bought the 5000 round case. Bought 3000 rounds of CCI AR Tactical just last week so I hemmed and hawed about it and now they don't show that price anymore.

Oh well, another deal will show up sooner or later. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Targetsports supposedly gets those 50 rd paper box minimags on an exclusive. The plastic boxing is partly why minimags are usually more expensive than SV.

They run the lower price deal every so often. Their shipping is insane fast. Ordered yesterday AM and a case was on the porch 11AM today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't punch paper, but I have killed a lot of squirrels with Mini Mags

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Of those you listed on average better than everything except tac 22

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Mini-Mags to hunt with and have never been disappointed.

They perform well in my Steel Challenge guns as well.

Accuracy seems good although Blazer tends to be a bit more accurate.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot a fair few mini mags, here and there. Including the 40 gr solid.

Have never used mini mags in any rifle or handgun in which the solid outshot the 36 gr HP.

Mini Mag 36gr HP for the win.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They don’t seem too bad:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by johnw
I've shot a fair few mini mags, here and there. Including the 40 gr solid.

Have never used mini mags in any rifle or handgun in which the solid outshot the 36 gr HP.

Mini Mag 36gr HP for the win.

That's been my experience also.

For paper though, I do spend a lot more money per round than CCI ammo.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought solid-nose when HPs weren’t available, but HPs have always been my choice. Reliable, good killers, accurate enough.

With all the emphasis on itty-bitty groups it’s easy to forget that for most purposes 3/4” or even 1” will be perfectly adequate for many purposes.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I just checked zero on my Marlin 989M2 a couple weeks ago. Seven rounds of Mini-Mag HP's {mag capacity} went into .600" dead center in the bull from 50 yards. That's typical for that rifle with that ammo. Mini-mags shoot good in all my rifles and run through my semi's like shyt through a goose.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mini mags are great rounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Mini mags are great rounds.

I have a few different rimfires, both rifle and handgun.They all have their preference for a particular ammo.
But they all shoot the Mini Mag HP pretty well.

If I had to pick one...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the same wagon as everyone else with Mini Mags. Exceptionally reliable and consistent, adequate accuracy, excellent terminal performance with the hollowpoint version. Watch some of those denim covered gel test and those little Mini Mag hollowpoints penetrate deep reliably and open to the perfect little expanded mushroom. In the rimfire world they are bad little mama jammers!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I just checked zero on my Marlin 989M2 a couple weeks ago. Seven rounds of Mini-Mag HP's {mag capacity} went into .600" dead center in the bull from 50 yards. That's typical for that rifle with that ammo. Mini-mags shoot good in all my rifles and run through my semi's like shyt through a goose.
I’ve an almost stock Ruger 10/22 (a bit of trigger work and a Hogue overmolded stock) which put five Mini-Mag HPs into one slightly enlarged hole at 50 yards, obliterating the printed X. But, I could only locate the XT-22 pistol target photo above. So, that 10/22 target must remain a case of believe it or not.

CCI Mini-Mag HPs don’t always shoot that well. But, it happens often enough to be expected.

Every day’s an adventure.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You might say that I am a CCI fanboy - during the spring/summer I will go through 5000 or so rounds of Mini-Mags shooting gophers and during the rest of the year I usually go through a couple of cases of Std Vel shooting paper from my back deck bench. The Std Vel also does a credible job of putting down blackbirds and magpies, it doesn't really blow them up like the Mini-Mags do they just fold up and collapse when hit with the Std Vel.

The Mini-Mag hollow points do a better job on gophers than the solid points do - they both work but there is no doubt that the HP hits harder.

I too have noticed that the 36 gr HPs seem to be a bit more accurate than the 40's but for shooting pests they both work equally well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.