Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Our SIL is a pilot who recently retired from the Border Patrol. He's qualified on a bunch of different planes and helicopters. He's been working for a charter business jet company flying this beast. He says it's totally boring. The plane is like a Tesla with auto pilot. He has to be aware of everything going on and be ready to take over at all times, but the plane flies itself. He doesn't fly it at all, just sit and watch it have the fun. How do you stay awake on long flights like that? He said he just spent 6 hours in a simulator that was a real yawner.

He just got a verbal job offer from a firefighting company flying souped up tanker jets. That one wouldn't be boring. He applied to fly helicopters but the offer is for jets. It's flying at high speed at very low altitudes while dumping retardant. I don't know what model of plane he'd be flying there but he said things happen so fast that you have to have a good grip on the seat with your cheeks. I've seen videos of Boeing 747 tankers but I don't know what they're using now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boring and safe.

I have know too many incidents of accidents with firefighting planes and smoke jumpers.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boring and safe - use the money for thrills at your own acceptable pace/time and frequency.

Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Teal
Boring and safe - use the money for thrills at your own acceptable pace/time and frequency.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend I went to school with, his family has a couple air tractor crop dusters…. He naturally took over the business….. people always say “wow, that must be exiting to fly every day” he always says after awhile it just becomes a job.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My C-130 unit had MAFFS mission. Dropping retardant. Pilots said it was much more challenging than flying in Iraq/Afghanistan. Was lost a plane and 4 good friends in Idaho. Safe and boring would sound good to them now.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
There are old fire fighters, and there bold firefighters. However, there are very few old, bold firefighters... Betting the same applies to fire suppression pilots as well...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All fun and games until you crash one into a hillside..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it.....but some one has to do it.

Did he have enough time to qualify for helicopters?

Most feds or vets dont.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Your Friend is flying a bombardier challenger 300, safe/boring …reliable aircraft! corporate flying can be boring, tell him to hand fly it more often :-)

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it.....but some one has to do it.

Did he have enough time to qualify for helicopters?

Most feds or vets dont.

Snakeskin wtf you been upto?? Me just chilling found some tortilla chips this morning. They moved me to the pit. Where all the garbage trucks go to dump the trash. So funny story how I snagged this bag. The garbage bag ripped when it came out of garbage truck. I’m sitting watching and that’s when I spied this bag of chips, I was like Yahtzee!!! Ok not a funny story but you get it.. Anyhow snake talk to you later!

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You find a half eaten jar or queezo and you got it made.

I am MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You find a half eaten jar or queezo and you got it made.

Snake you read my mind.. god willing

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sorta off topic. I had to go to an office building Wednesday. These people were there. They sit in padded chairs. There's heating and air conditioning. Cold and hot potable water. There was no dust. It was quiet. No traffic at all. Didn't see anything that could fall, rip, shred, burn, blind, mame, mangle, explode, suffocate... Boring looked pretty darn swell if you can stomach it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd go for the boring flying Tesla. I'm sure the pay is good and it requires almost no effort. It would be like having a Govt. job!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OK... you said "retired". You also said retired from a Federal position..... meaning a pretty good pension usually. Assuming he has saved money along the way, tell him to enjoy his retirement and hunt and fish more.

Having said that, every fly boy I 've ever known has serious "issues" when they can't/don't fly any more.

But WTF do I know!?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Don't influence him in any way. Let him and his personality choose his job. And if your daughter asks, tell her to back off and support his decision, let the man be the man. Quite a few men don't do well in captivity, boredom eats at their soul and self respect...causing marriage problems among other things. There are men who do well in factories and offices...more power to them, but there are men who need a little dash of hot sauce in their day now and then. They, historically, gravitate to logging, mining or the sea and are good men to call friends.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Let him make his own choice

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A very wise man told me to stay out helicopters and to never fight fire in California.

Tell him to join the Air Guard or something.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he wants excitement and good pay. Have him apply to fly helicopters for the mining companies in Alaska during the winter.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.