-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a good point and really never gave it much thought. What would be quality kitchen knives ?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Brad
I always find it a bit ironic that guys will spend a LOT of money on multiple custom hunting knives, but have crap kitchen knives. The hunting knives realistically get used very little, while kitchen knives get used every day. I like quality knives, but I've got a lot more money in kitchen knives than hunting knives.

My favorite cheap knife? Opinel no.6.

I use my custom "hunting" knives in the kitchen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
me, too......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/20/22.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that they buy them not because the need them, but because the cool kids have them and they want to be a part of that clique.

I bet your rifles add up to $10worth of dog schit.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I always find it a bit ironic that guys will spend a LOT of money on multiple custom hunting knives, but have crap kitchen knives. The hunting knives realistically get used very little, while kitchen knives get used every day. I like quality knives, but I've got a lot more money in kitchen knives than hunting knives.

Same here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Same here.

I use my custom and my cheap ass knives in the kitchen. I bought some of the Russel Green River blanks and put micarta scales on them and love them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hunting knives aren't kitchen knives. Can certainly be used, but not ideal for almost anything on a cutting board. That's why there's such a thing as kitchen knives, and why they're not ideal in the field on game. Different tools, different uses.

Kinda simple, but whatever...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MrWilson
What would be quality kitchen knives ?

You just asked a question that could lead you down a 10 year rabbit hole of exploration. smile

To simplify, it comes down to the quality of the steel, the blade shape and grind.

Do you want stainless? If so which stainless? Carbon? If so, which carbon? Do you want the blade mono steel or perhaps stainless clad or carbon clad? Quality factory or handmade? Do you want European or Japanese shaped knives? Maybe a Chinese cleaver?

And on, and on, and on...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year we were skinning my elk and our meat cutter friend was helping. I paid close attention to the blade he chose for the chore since he's a pro - skinning more in a few days than most of us will all year.

Much to my surprise he pulled out a Schrade "Old Timer" Sharp Finger....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

When asked about it, he said that he likes it because the blade is perfect for the chore and steel is soft enough to easily resharpen. He has used it on hundreds of critters both domestic and wild, for many years now.

So, I bought one. They're dirt cheap and I had to admit it worked perfect on the cow elk I shot the other day. I bought the red handled one - because I tend to lay stuff down and lose it![Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The old ones are much better than the new ones.

Unless they've changed the steel again. The old ones were high carbon.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not a knife in my opinion, but if you want something real handy to keep around, the Milwaukee 6-1 is about the best $20 a guy can keep in his pocket.

I need to grab one of their 5-1 with an actual blade. Might be nirvana.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got me to looking.
The 5-1 is part serrated.
Been down that path, don't care for it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Most “hunting” knives are honestly horrible. I’m convinced most of their designers have never hunted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
The old ones are much better than the new ones.

Unless they've changed the steel again. The old ones were high carbon.

I don't doubt that a bit... there's a knife forum that has 43 pages dedicated to the history of the little thing. Made in China now.

I dressed the cow elk with my Knives of Alaska "Alph Wolf" and it did fine. But for skinning the SF was a much better tool. I hit them both with the work sharp when I got home and it's ready for a deer now. For $19 bucks, I'm impressed.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cold steel SRK. You get a 400 dollar knife for 40 bucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BWAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ok. Ok. You get a knife that performs like a 400 dollar knife, but doesn't look like a 400 dollar knife. Respect your laughter huntsman lol. But, I'll say this, looks don't mean a fiddlers blank when you need a good knife.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Schrade currently built overseas but they're still very good knives. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Ok. Ok. You get a knife that performs like a 400 dollar knife, but doesn't look like a 400 dollar knife. Respect your laughter huntsman lol. But, I'll say this, looks don't mean a fiddlers blank when you need a good knife.

Good looking knives can also be first class working knives. Being handsome doesn't automatically exclude a knife from being a great cutting tool.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got the 400 dollar custom job. It's great. But at the end of the day, the cold steel is on par with it. Display wise? No. Collector? No. But it's a cheaper knife that gets the job done and holds a great edge. Also, I appreciate craftsmanship and the talent it takes to make a knife. It's a skill not many have. But for a cheap knife, get a SRK. You won't be disappointed.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (338reddog, 673, 444Matt, 6MMWASP, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 15 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.