Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’m looking to get a Ruger American predator in 22-250 to use as my night time calling rifle with a thermal and suppressor. I went to a local gun shop and handled one in 6.5 but it had a trigger lock on it so I couldn’t feel the trigger pull. Anyone have one and if so what are your thoughts on the rifle?

Also, I can’t find one in stock anywhere. If anyone knows where one is at I’d appreciate ya letting me know.

Thx
Ben

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have the regular American in .22-250 and the 6.5 CM in the Predator. My .22-250 did not feed well with the factory rotary mag, so I called Ruger and they sent me another for free. It didn't feed either. The heavy taper on the .22-250 caused the top cartridge to stand straight up in warm weather. Since them Ruger has made a stagger feed mag that feeds correctly, but before they did I bought a mag for the .450 Bushmaster that fed correctly. Only issue with the .450 mag was that it stuck out of the stock with a sow belly look.

The triggers are a bit heavy but crisp out of the box, but they are adjustable for pull weight. You might get it down to what you want, but I cut one coil off the factory spring before attempting to adjust the pull weight. Mcarbo sells a replacement spring for about $16, but I have been satisfied with my mods.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 10/22/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a couple of the Ruger American Predator rifles.........IMO they are a great value for the money, the biggest problem is the F'n Glock style trigger. you can change the springs, you can take out the glock blade but in the end the trigger is a POS !!!!!!!!!!!

I am not really a Timney fan but on this rifle the Timney trigger transforms the RAR into a different realm, a MUST HAVE !!!!!!!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OL' Pott's has them on sale right now for $135

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabela's - 22-250 - in stock.

Adjustable trigger.

I have a 6.5 CM that is excellent.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
SheriffJoe,

What cabelas location?

I’ve checked on line and they showed out of stock

Thx
Ben

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sent you a PM.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have around a dozen Ruger Americans and the only one that I've haven't found a MOA or better load for is the 22-250.

I don't find the factory trigger objectionable, but if you don't like it, I'd consider installing an M-Carbo trigger spring kit before going all in on a Timney unit. I have factory triggers, modified factory triggers, and a couple of Timneys. The Timneys are better, but are they $130 better?

I find the comb height to be a little low for me, so I have installed Beartooth comb risers on a couple of the RAR-Ps. Not a need to have, more of a nice to have.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The Timneys are better, but are they $130 better?

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!

Buy a cheap azzed rifle, spend $130 on the trigger, never get that back. Makes sense. I'd just buy a Tikka right from the get go. My buddy has a couple RAR's, one a 6.5 Predator. It is hell on brass because the chamber was not cut or polished well and the regular RAR does not feed for schidt. They are an economy rifle, you get what you pay for. I'd look for a used Tikka, if I wanted to be cheap..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!

Buy a cheap azzed rifle, spend $130 on the trigger, never get that back. Makes sense. I'd just buy a Tikka right from the get go. My buddy has a couple RAR's, one a 6.5 Predator. It is hell on brass because the chamber was not cut or polished well and the regular RAR does not feed for schidt. They are an economy rifle, you get what you pay for. I'd look for a used Tikka, if I wanted to be cheap..

I disagree, the $130 Timney made my RAR's have a much better trigger than my Tikka's.
Mine feed fine and don't have the issues you describe. also they have a much better bedding system than a Tikka

B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’m buying a cheap rifle because I don’t want to thread any of the nice rifles I already have. Whatever rifle I buy is going to get used and used hard. It’s going to get beat up. It’s going to be a tool. If I can buy a rifle that shoots well enough to hit a coyote at 300 yards through a thermal scope and it only costs me $450 bucks that is a hell of a lot better than seeing a rifle I care about get beat to hell. The Ruger also has a 10” twist and I just happen to be sitting on a pile of 60gr Sierra tipped matchkings…. So the Ruger makes sense.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel gets the crap bounced off it out in the field, in these Oregon Mountains...
Doesn't phase it.. its a very practical rifle for hunting here...

Sees rough service and sheds it all with no problem.

Don't know if it is the cartridge or the rifle.... but this darn Grendel is also accurate as hell, which is a nice added feature..

When they come out with a 6ARC in the same platform, I'll be adding one of those also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I superglued the trigger blade back and then clipped the trigger spring until I had it at about 2 pounds... lights out accurate and it took me 10 minutes and zero dollars.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I superglued the trigger blade back and then clipped the trigger spring until I had it at about 2 pounds... lights out accurate and it took me 10 minutes and zero dollars.

Southern Know How at work!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Got my Ruger last week. As reports indicated the mag is a p o s. 100%will not feed first round out of a full mag. About 66% won’t feed the second round. Last two feed like butter. Called Ruger and a new one is on its way but unless it’s a 243,308, creed mag I doubt it works any better but the 243/308/creed mag is reported to feed perfectly. Only shot two loads through it so far. Sierra 1365’s I loaded probably 25 years ago for a pdog shoot on my Dillon and it literally stacked them all on top of each other. The other load was 55BT’s also for a different rifle and it shot them almost as well. Once I get the feeding issues squared away and my suppressor finally gets here, I’ll hang my thermal scope on it and it’ll be coyote killin time.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Benbo
Got my Ruger last week. As reports indicated the mag is a p o s. 100%will not feed first round out of a full mag. About 66% won’t feed the second round. Last two feed like butter. Called Ruger and a new one is on its way but unless it’s a 243,308, creed mag I doubt it works any better but the 243/308/creed mag is reported to feed perfectly. Only shot two loads through it so far. Sierra 1365’s I loaded probably 25 years ago for a pdog shoot on my Dillon and it literally stacked them all on top of each other. The other load was 55BT’s also for a different rifle and it shot them almost as well. Once I get the feeding issues squared away and my suppressor finally gets here, I’ll hang my thermal scope on it and it’ll be coyote killin time.

Is your factory mag a rotary or a stagger feed? I had issues with a .22-250 with the factory rotary. The staggered feed mag solved the problem.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a .243 predator when they first came out. Did the new magazine switch by calling Ruger. Adjusted the factory trigger as low as I could get it. Put it in a Boyd’s. That rifle shot like a house on fire, not kidding. Very sub moa. I used it to bang 800-900 yd steel.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
the little Americans generally shoot very well. though the magazines are not very good that is the downfall with them. but 22 250 in particular seems to be amongst the worst with magazine issues. I solved this by putting the barreled action in a Magpul stock and using the AICS mags ..

Last edited by ldholton; 11/12/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

91 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 970 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.