Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Everything fits in my coat pockets. I don't carry a pack when hunting. If I had to carry so much shyt I needed a pack, I'd quit hunting and take up golf or something.

One of the great things about a pack is that I can put layers in it. I could put most of the "stuff" I carry in pockets but at some point I need to add/shed layers. Usually heading in before light I'm only wearing a base layer on my upper body to avoid sweating heading up the mountain.

Like 10ga mentioned, a pack makes it easy to have all the "stuff" together with no need to switch if different outerwear is worn.

A pack works well for me. Whatever works for you is all that matters.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very interesting to see how and what others carry. I have a pack but generally don’t carry it.What I did is set up a vest that works for me. As a forester, a vest is natural already. I’ve worn a vest carrying my gear for miles through extremely rough and challenging terrain.

For the last 20 years, I e used a Filson timber cruiser vest setup for what works for me. I added zippers on the rear pack for an extra clothing layer, bottle of water, lunch, or other larger item. Always have TP in ziplock bag, compass, light (small stream light hand held and head light), grunt tube, gloves, neck gaiter/facemask, and match lock. Cartridges go in belt carrier on waist along with knife. Binos are usually around my neck but can fit in side pocket also.

This works well for me as it doesn’t effect adding or removing layers, is ready the next day no matter weather conditions. Incidentally, it can be 75 degrees here one day and 25 degrees the next. Welcome to Mississippi! If you don’t like the wether today, just give it a day or two (except summertime, it’s always hot!)

Last edited by Sixpack; 03/04/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
My hands, and lint.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Everything fits in my coat pockets. I don't carry a pack when hunting. If I had to carry so much shyt I needed a pack, I'd quit hunting and take up golf or something.

One of the great things about a pack is that I can put layers in it. I could put most of the "stuff" I carry in pockets but at some point I need to add/shed layers. Usually heading in before light I'm only wearing a base layer on my upper body to avoid sweating heading up the mountain.

Like 10ga mentioned, a pack makes it easy to have all the "stuff" together with no need to switch if different outerwear is worn.

I can take off a sweater and stuff it in my rear game bag if I need to. Normally I don't remain stationary for long when rifle hunting so I don't dress the same as a stand hunter would.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Folding knife
Drag rope
Pen {for filling out tags}
Zip ties {for affixing tags to deer}
Small flashlight
cartridge wallet
Compass
Lighter
Water bottle
Sandwich if I'll be out all day

Enough shyt there I wouldn't be stuffing my pockets. Just as easy to carry a small pack with all of that.
Then you've got the wrong hunting coat. Not surprising. Most don't have enough pockets and what they do have are too small, insecure and/or poorly placed. Nobody in the group I hunt with wears a pack of any kind.

LOL. If you got more than a half mile from the road and a "drag rope" would only be useful to hang some quarters in a tree while you packed out the others on your back, you might think differently.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Folding knife
Drag rope
Small flashlight
cartridge wallet
Compass
Lighter
Water bottle

Enough shyt there I wouldn't be stuffing my pockets. Just as easy to carry a small pack with all of that.
Then you've got the wrong hunting coat. Not surprising. Most don't have enough pockets and what they do have are too small, insecure and/or poorly placed. Nobody in the group I hunt with wears a pack of any kind.

LOL. If you got more than a half mile from the road and a "drag rope" would only be useful to hang some quarters in a tree while you packed out the others on your back, you might think differently.
You should read some Benoit books. They'll show you how far deer can be dragged by actual men. I dragged one about a quarter mile last season. Took me all of maybe 20 minutes. The other two I could get close with the 4 wheeler so little dragging was needed. In the past I have dragged them over a mile. I avoid shooting them in such places today.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Extra loaded magazine, spare flashlight, bic lighter

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, did the Benoits ever drag any a few miles out west, without any snow or a blanket of leaves on the ground?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m in the pack a buck camp myself these days in the Adirondacks if it’s going to be a complete butt kicker. We drug as a kid and young man but I can just about pack a whole buck on my Mystery Ranch and walk out fairly easy.

Short drag, I’m down for that.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Folding knife
Drag rope
Small flashlight
cartridge wallet
Compass
Lighter
Water bottle

You should read some Benoit books. They'll show you how far deer can be dragged by actual men.
20 years old or so, drug a small deer a mile or so across a cut bean field with a sling or belt as a drag tool.

Told myself never again.....I have been fortunate so far.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’m in the pack a buck camp myself these days in the Adirondacks if it’s going to be a complete butt kicker. We drug as a kid and young man but I can just about pack a whole buck on my Mystery Ranch and walk out fairly easy.

Short drag, I’m down for that.
This is where I would be if I hunted a ways from the house or truck.

On my dad's place it would be a quarter mile drag at most to the truck or if lucky I can get a tractor close.

On my place depending how things work I can get a tractor close or just have a short 100 yard or less drag.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I'm in this camp.
Only thing in my pockets are phone, lip balm, a couple extra rounds (or mag) and a can of Skoal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Trapper pocket knife, Bic lighter, gloves, peanut butter crackers, 32 oz.bottle of water, jerky, srk knife, cartridges, gloves, rangefinder. Normally have a daypack with me.
If I'm on a quickie, buck trapper, that's it.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Hand sanitizer, toilet paper, bandana, small flashlight. Lighter. Small emergency poncho (plastic) and a Knife. Headlamp. cell phone.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LOL, did the Benoits ever drag any a few miles out west, without any snow or a blanket of leaves on the ground?
WGAF you dumb sunofabitch ? Last I checked this ain't the West.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Folding knife
Drag rope
Small flashlight
cartridge wallet
Compass
Lighter
Water bottle

You should read some Benoit books. They'll show you how far deer can be dragged by actual men.
20 years old or so, drug a small deer a mile or so across a cut bean field with a sling or belt as a drag tool.

Told myself never again.....I have been fortunate so far.
I've dragged full grown bucks over a mile. I've also hoisted them over my shoulder and carried them through thigh deep water when crossing a creek. Much depends on what the terrain is like. They aren't terribly hard to drag down a valley over mostly level ground, particularly with snow on the ground. Of course they go down hill easily. If it's a bad drag I've boned the front quarters, cut the loins out, put the,meat in my game bag, tied the hind quarters together and carried them out over my shoulder.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, "this" ain’t the subject of the OP, numb nuts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

LOL, "this" ain’t the subject of the OP, numb nuts.
You're the one that took it off subject ya little bitch. I'd prefer you just STFU and not address me again in the future.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He has more experience with less pictures than ANYONE here

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Y’all might not want to joke around with a man who doesn’t mind dragging a buck over mile or toss it over his shoulder while he walks through thigh deep creeks. He might be capable of more than using a bunch of curse words on the internet. Grin

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.