Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Installing a small wood stove in an 8x8 shed with a tin roof ; 2 stories high. Looking to bore a hole and put up 6 inch pipe in the most convenient simple way. Any ideas welcome Thanx.

Last edited by Malcolm; 10/24/22.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Be sure to use triple wall pipe to keep the heat away from the roof and rafters, etc. We used a King wood heater for 20-something years as our only source of home heat. Had a couple of chimney fires from creosote buildup, and the triple wall kept the house from burning down.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe aviation snips??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you can add a couple of 90's and simply run it through the wall.
....or you can run it through the roof.
I believe I'd run it through the wall before I'd go straight up two stories to go through the roof.
An 8×8, 2 story shed?
Kind of an odd configuration, but whatever.

I'd go up 1 full length of stove pipe, 90° back to the wall.
I think standard stove pipe is 36".
I'd set the stove 24" from the wall and carry the stove pipe 18" from any exterior wall.
That will keep you from having to work off a ladder or climb something to go through the roof.
Through the wall may cause some draft problems, but nothing that can't be overcome.
It is generally considered a stove pipe should clear the ridgeline of a home by 2 feet.

Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did a bunch of science once to cut an elliptical hole that snugly fit my triple wall pipe. Inspecter said I needed 4 inches of clearance all around. Should have eyeballed the job and done it with a chainsaw.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Get a friggn install kit from the stove store. They will also have information on county and state codes. Not trying to rude , just helpful! Might speed up your install also!

M
Malcolm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx for the info. Tin roof no insulation, want to use single wall stove pipe , will look at stove store ideas , may create home made thimbles for upper floor and waterproof same for roof . Mostly worried about water ingress around roof opening and how to prevent it. Temp. at floor and roof should be < 200' F. Lower room <7' ceiling ,upper 6.5. Stove ,coffee, compressor and sandblaste ,ladder to loft.

Last edited by Malcolm; 10/24/22.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I installed my Stove pipe in my 300 sq. ft room in Arizona. I did 90s and put it threw the wall under the roof eave.
I wrapped a 2 inch thick Ceramic Insulation around the pipe and I am going to wrap another 2 inch thick piece of Ceramic Insulation around that giving me 4 inches of fire Proof Insulation around my Stove Pipe.

I have a Neighbor friend that is a retired upper end Fireman and he told me that he had never seen anything like what I did.
He also told me that there would be no way that my stove pipe could start my place on fire the way I insulated the pipe.
I took the Insulation out 12 inches on ether side of the wall and contained it with a piece of light Gage sheet metal . I will do the same when I wrap the second layer around the pipe

You can take a Lit up Oxy/Acet. Rose bud torch to that Ceramic Blanket Insulation and hold your hand on the other side for quite some time before you can feel any heat getting threw that Blanket.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you make 90 degree turns in the pipe, use a tee, not an elbow, and cap one end. It makes the horizontal section a lot easier to clean.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Heym06
Get a friggn install kit from the stove store. They will also have information on county and state codes. Not trying to rude , just helpful! Might speed up your install also!
Jesus. It’s not the Taj Mahal

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
Did a bunch of science once to cut an elliptical hole that snugly fit my triple wall pipe. Inspecter said I needed 4 inches of clearance all around. Should have eyeballed the job and done it with a chainsaw.

laffin’ laugh

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Thanx for the info. Tin roof no insulation, want to use single wall stove pipe , will look at stove store ideas , may create home made thimbles for upper floor and waterproof same for roof . Mostly worried about water ingress around roof opening and how to prevent it. Temp. at floor and roof should be < 200' F. Lower room <7' ceiling ,upper 6.5. Stove ,coffee, compressor and sandblaste ,ladder to loft.

You probably know, but single wall is fine INSIDE, but outside, you need to use double or triple wall pipe. Single wall OUTSIDE will lead to excessive creosote formation, and much higher chance of a chimney fire.

A “kit” to get you through the roof should be about $250-$400. A couple of 2-3’ sections of stainless double-wall pipe for outside will be about $100 each, and then $30-$50 for a cap. Your inside single wall pipe will be pretty cheap.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seal out water/snow/debris, maybe even get them down at the walmarks

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silicone...TRCzyFKgsnBJuTNINlftXrKPICAUFzDjux9hoCJg

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still not seeing the 2 story 8x8???? 🥴 either a misprint or something weird going on 🤔

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
20' container? On end?🤔🤔😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had to do some re-work to the chimney in my house, what was existing wasn't close to code. You can access NFPA 211 online, and that has all the proper clearances needed for the pipe you want to use. NFPA is THE standard for any/all things related to fire protection. The verbiage they use can be a little tough to understand, but doable.

I think I would run through (not threw) a wall and up instead of two breachings (floor and roof).

I searching on line it becomes clear many places make completely false statements about what you "have to use", in order to sell products. Trust NFPA.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hardway
I'm still not seeing the 2 story 8x8???? 🥴 either a misprint or something weird going on 🤔

I understand...

This is a small 2 story cabin I am putting up (12' x 12 x 21'... 24'+/- at peak)... Mine, will have lots of porches and balconies.

The chimney pipe will exit the center of the left wall 2'-3' below the first floor ceiling.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Plenty more where this came from, YouTube.

…and don’t be cheap, use the proper chimney pipe. Dealt with a lot of garage fires where Joe Homeowner use single walled were he shouldn’t have.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.