Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of the best things about winter, bikers off the road!!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My magic number is “under the speed limit”. Most of the problem I have is rounding a blind corner in steep hills trying to find truck gears whilst towing and there is a 50 plus year old cyclist in the middle of of the road peddling 90 rpm at almost a stand still. Its fuggin dangerous for everyone because if you have to go other lane to avoid impact another vehicle could be coming around the other curve.

I stay in my lane now because a bicycle causes less damage than a head on with another vehicle.

For my safety and the safety of my family and other drivers I have completely changed my flinch response to bicycles and Subarus

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

IF ANYBODY was operating a car or a lawn tractor on the same road, at 7mph, it’d be an automatic ticket for “impeding the flow of traffic”.

Would it be a ticket for a hunter pulling a horse trailer at 5 MPH below the speed limit?

“An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.”

5 mph UNDER the speed limit?? No. 5mph??? Yes.

But then again, you already knew that...

What is the magic speed under the limit at which it becomes impeding?

Operative words "in compliance with the law."

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
The only cyclists that I have an issue with are those who ride like azzholes, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights,

If I was on my bicycle in front of you on a narrow busy 30 MPH road and we came up to a red light and ran it, how would that negatively affect you?

It is entirely possible that by running the red light I not only enhance my safety by not having potentially impatient and aggravated motorists trying to pass me after the light turns green, but it would also make it better for you in that you wouldn't be stuck behind me.

Sorry I missed this, because I have your ass on ignore. I only saw it when someone else quoted it.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I had exactly that happen when some entitled spandex bedecked dumbazz ran a traffic light, almost became someone's hood ornament, who swerved to avoid said dumbazz and missed me by just a few feet. So excuse me for looking upon the idiots with a jaded eye............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I see things a little differently Paul.

One of the main problems is the "the law says I have the right away and by God I'm gonna take it no matter what" types create a dim view of bicyclists. While these are few they tend to set the tone for the majority.

The other main problem is the dim view that motorists allow themselves to get.

The bikers that ride two abreast, middle of the lane, run stop signs and a multitude of other rudeness make all of the bikers look bad.

A few days ago a biker ran a stop sign and I had to hammer the brakes very hard to keep him from being a spot on the pavement, lol, I had a good mind to run the retard off the road and cave his face in, it really pissed me off because I'm the one who would have had to go through the investigation and live with the fact that I killed the guy.

On thing the dumbasses need to learn is that the right away doesn't do you any good if your dead.

The reason motorists most often give is based on convenience. The reason cyclists give is most often based on safety.

What they perceive as "Safety" anyways.

That sucks about the cyclist that ran the red light. It may have been a purposeful move by an entitled douchebag or it may have been a mistake. What I find interesting is your thought that you should run him down and sort stuff out. Do you have the same thoughts when you see motorists break the law?

I said I had a mind to I didn't say I would really do it, everyone needs to have dreams........And yes I think the same way of dumbass drivers.

I don't mind sharing the road with Bikes as building roads for them with tax money would not be very feasible but the dumbfuqk bikers make a really bad name for all bikers.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm all about being athletic and good health, doing it on a roadway, designed for automobiles is not the place. The road our house is on is a major bike challenge. It starts at 5500' and goes to 8500' in a matter of 15 miles or so. It's curvy, no shoulders, and full of blind curves. In the summer, it's a stream of bikers wanting a challenge. So many bikers that we have to wait to exit our driveway. Every year 1-4 of them die or get seriously hurt by cars. (Same with motorcycles hitting 100mph on the same road). It's never the bikers fault though, that's the sucky part. Always the driver. Right... Who has the insurance? The driver. I've done enough expert witness (on other types of cases) to know deep pockets get blamed for a lot of things that wasn't their fault.

When roads are designed for bikers, and bikers pay license plate fees, and are required to have insurance, have headlights/taillights like motorcycles, I'll be open to it. I have no issues with mountain bikers on designated trails, none.

The law provides the framework for determining who is at fault. If a motorist is required to yield right of way, and doesn't, why would it not be their fault?

IF ANYBODY was operating a car or a lawn tractor on the same road, at 7mph, it’d be an automatic ticket for “impeding the flow of traffic”.

Would it be a ticket for a hunter pulling a horse trailer at 5 MPH below the speed limit?

“An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.”

5 mph UNDER the speed limit?? No. 5mph??? Yes.

But then again, you already knew that...

Well, the average highway at 60, is 45. The highways at 75, are 60. That is a 20-25%. Are you aware of any roads, with a posted MINIMUM, that are 50-75% LESS than the maximum??

So, on a road with a 40-45 mph posted speed limit, is going 10-15 or even 20 mph even CLOSE to going 75-80% of the posted limit?? Why don’t you just make it easy, and agree that it is not...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, on a road with a 40-45 mph posted speed limit, is going 10-15 or even 20 mph even CLOSE to going 75-80% of the posted limit?? Why don’t you just make it easy, and agree that it is not...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I hate bicyclists on the sideWALK in town. It's not called a sideRIDE, is it? Rather have a skateboarded on the sidewalk, I can usually hear them coming............but I hate them too. Want to stick out an arm and clothesline them.

Geno!! Breaking Bad!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you ride a bicycle on the road I live on your life expectancy little to none. I live in a rural area, and these people drive like nuts.

Romans 5:1
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Byciclists are the reason why bike spray was invented, some people started calling it "bear spray" & use it for bear protection when in the woods, I prefer the lead sprayer against bears though,

Bike spray is very effective on arrogant ahole bike riders, they get completey off the road... usually crawling on all fours with a bunch of flailing & wailing

works good on tailgaiting motorists too, couple squirts out the window is all that is needed, heater blows it right in their face for precision deployment

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Byciclists are the reason why bike spray was invented, some people started calling it "bear spray" & use it for bear protection when in the woods, I prefer the lead sprayer against bears though,

Bike spray is very effective on arrogant ahole bike riders, they get completey off the road... usually crawling on all fours with a bunch of flailing & wailing

works good on tailgaiting motorists too, couple squirts out the window is all that is needed, heater blows it right in their face for precision deployment

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What's the definition of impeding traffic?
Impeding traffic is typically defined when not operating a vehicle reasonably, so as to block the normal flow of traffic. It typically is used in cases where a person is blocking an intersection or driving too slow and causing a log jam.

Can you go slower than the speed limit?
Most state laws do not specify how far below the speed limit is legal. They leave that decision to the highway patrol officer, but a good rule of thumb is that it is illegal to drive at a speed so slow that you hold up the normal traffic flow. Going slow on a higher-speed freeway can increase the risk of a collision.Jun 30, 2020

How slow is too slow when driving?
On a road with one lane in each direction, going 10-mph is legal, but can impede the flow of traffic. If it's safe to do so, drive closer to the max speed limit. If you're driving so slow that a line of more than five cars has queued behind you, it's best to pull over to the shoulder and allow the drivers to pass you.Jun 30, 2020

Just FYI, google is your friend

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I hate bicyclists on the sideWALK in town. It's not called a sideRIDE, is it? Rather have a skateboarded on the sidewalk, I can usually hear them coming............but I hate them too. Want to stick out an arm and clothesline them.

Geno!! Breaking Bad!!
It is not a good thing to startle already grumpy old men.

They just strike out at scheidt.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On thing the dumbasses need to learn is that the right away doesn't do you any good if your dead.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

lololololol

That's what makes these threads worthwhile.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

5 mph below the speed limit is not illegal. “Speed Limit refers to the Maximum speed you can drive. You have to be going a lot slower than 50 mph in a 55 zone to be considered going to slow.
You are an intelligent person but when it comes to this whole bike thing why are you purposely obtuse about it?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

“Well, the average highway at 60, is 45. The highways at 75, are 60. That is a 20-25%. Are you aware of any roads, with a posted MINIMUM, that are 50-75% LESS than the maximum??”

Reading is fundamental.

(“when. a person drives a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic”...)

Texas law—“Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Also note, bicyclists can't make passage of traffic "unreasonably inconvenient"”

Making passage of traffic “Unreasonably inconvenient”, WHILE RIDING A BICYCLE (not just in other vehicles)is not “in compliance with the law”...

Is having to pass bicyclists, going less than half the posted speed limit, to avoid getting rear-ended, on a winding road thst is marked solid yellow lines, “unreasonably inconvenient”??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Action pic of Paul teaching his kid the ways of their family.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

5 mph below the speed limit is not illegal. “Speed Limit refers to the Maximum speed you can drive. You have to be going a lot slower than 50 mph in a 55 zone to be considered going to slow.
You are an intelligent person but when it comes to this whole bike thing why are you purposely obtuse about it?

He is simply trying to prove why people think bicyclists are “subhuman”, and doing a fantastic job at it. Their avocation (recreation)is more important than you getting to your vocation (job)...

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 14 invisible), 1,233 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.