Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Automatch has always been clean reliable and reasonably accurate in any semi auto I have used it in.

It isn’t something I shoot thru my bolt guns as there are more accurate options there in the same price range

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I use it for bulk plinking in wheelgun 22's and several contraptions.

Works great. Probably fired 3k without any issue.

The Norma stuff works great too, but euro spent cases don't dump out of a wheelie nearly as easy. I use it in my bolt guns only, where its respectable without dishing out the extra cash two keep all five rounds instead of three in the same hole.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No problems with 10/22 or bolt guns.

Accuracy can be "shoots lights out" to not all that great. Lot #'s make a big difference. If you can find a good lot, it will shoot as well as if not slightly better than CCI SV ammo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CraigD
Accuracy can be "shoots lights out" to not all that great. Lot #'s make a big difference. If you can find a good lot, it will shoot as well as if not slightly better than CCI SV ammo.
That's been my experience as well. I've had some that shot pretty good in the past. I've got some here right now that is garbage.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Like any rimfire ammo, it's lot-dependent. The first boxes I tried just about made me quit Federal altogether, for life. The last couple of boxes were more than acceptable. You get a good batch, or a bad batch, just like any other .22 rimfire ammo.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have been checking ammoseek for low prices and free shipping deals and lo and behold, one of the better prices that came up is a local store so I drove over today and picked up three boxes.

Going to take three rifles and a Ruger Mark IV out to the range tomorrow and wring it out, if it shows promise will go back and buy a bunch more.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
First trials this morning with a Tikka T1x, CZ 457 Varmint, Kimber of OR M82, Ruger Mk IV Standard and a Mark III Competition Target slabsides. I fired 5 rounds out of each rifle to help season the barrel and then fired a 10 shot group for record, the pistols got 10 rounds through them and then a 20 shot group each since I wanted to test each of their two mags for feeding. These are all the groups fired today with no cherry picking. Looking at the general grouping I'll take full credit for the flyers here.

Rifles are at 50 yards, pistols at 25. Haven't measured these to the last thousandth but for reference those alternating color bars are 1/2" wide

1 - Tikka T1x with an SWFA 10x42 SS - all 10 shots into .546"
2 - CZ 457 Varmint with another SWFA 10x42 SS - 9 of 10 shots into .549"
3 - Kimber with an ancient Leupold M8 4x scope. I started the Kimber group on the upper right but it was a bit too close to the target edge so started over on bottom right. 9 of 10 shots into .746"

[Linked Image]

1 - Mk IV 6" Standard with Burris FF III
2 - Mk III Slabsides with Burris FF III, not sure where all those flyers came from. I used to be the greatest pistol shot in the world but apparently not these days... wink

[Linked Image]

After shooting groups I plinked a while at steel plates set at 40 yards for the pistols and 100 for the rifles. Had five misfires out of 200 rounds, four of those in the Mk IV which apparently has a weaker mainspring than the Mk III. But after rotating the cases 180 deg. they all fired on the second strike. Other than that they all functioned perfectly and didn't gunk up the Ruger mags like the CCI AR Tactical has done.

I'd say this definitely meets specifications since it groups well in all five firearms. Not the best groups each one has produced but all I wanted was something reliable, clean and that wasn't going to spray the rounds over 2-3", these are obviously a lot better than that. If I miss a 3" steel plate at 100 with any of the rifles it sure won't be the ammo's fault.

Thanks for all the comments above that got me to try these. Had a bad experience with Federal bulk some 10 years ago and never bought any more, but will show up at the store when they open tomorrow morning and get as much of this same lot as they want to sell me.

Last edited by Jim in Idaho; 10/30/22. Reason: added group sizes for rifles

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
First trials this morning with a Tikka T1x, CZ 457 Varmint, Kimber of OR M82, Ruger Mk IV Standard and a Mark III Competition Target slabsides. I fired 5 rounds out of each rifle to help season the barrel and then fired a 10 shot group for record, the pistols got 10 rounds through them and then a 20 shot group each since I wanted to test each of their two mags for feeding. These are all the groups fired today with no cherry picking. Looking at the general grouping I'll take full credit for the flyers here.

Rifles are at 50 yards, pistols at 25. Haven't measured these to the last thousandth but for reference those alternating color bars are 1/2" wide

1 - Tikka T1x with an SWFA 10x42 SS
2 - CZ 457 Varmint with another SWFA 10x42 SS
3 - Kimber with an ancient Leupold M8 4x scope. I started the Kimber group on the upper right but it was a bit too close to the target edge so started over on bottom right.

[Linked Image]

1 - Mk IV 6" Standard with Burris FF III
2 - Mk III Slabsides with Burris FF III, not sure where all those flyers came from. I used to be the greatest pistol shot in the world but apparently not these days... wink

[Linked Image]

After shooting groups I plinked a while at steel plates set at 40 yards for the pistols and 100 for the rifles. Had five misfires out of 200 rounds, four of those in the Mk IV which apparently has a weaker mainspring than the Mk III. But after rotating the cases 180 deg. they all fired on the second strike. Other than that they all functioned perfectly and didn't gunk up the Ruger mags like the CCI AR Tactical has done.

I'd say this definitely meets specifications since it groups well in all five firearms. Not the best groups each one has produced but all I wanted was something reliable, clean and that wasn't going to spray the rounds over 2-3", these are obviously a lot better than that. If I miss a 3" steel plate at 100 with any of the rifles it sure won't be the ammo's fault.

Thanks for all the comments above that got me to try these. Had a bad experience with Federal bulk some 10 years ago and never bought any more, but will show up at the store when they open tomorrow morning and get as much of this same lot as they want to sell me.

Great post. I love pictures and this shows the lot of automatch you have definitely works well. Thanks for the honest group pictures. I wish more guys would do this.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Federal AM now; I didn't like it so much in the past. I think it's better. Buckmark loves it. 100% cycle rate, good accuracy.
S&W Mod 63 likes it, 10-22's seem to function with it. It's $19 a box here now.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If folks are looking for this, Bucking Horse Outpost has the 325 packs for $18.60 each with free shipping on orders over $125 and NO sales tax collected (at least for out of state buyers). That's 5.7 cents per round which is about the cheapest I've seen it in a long time. There is a limit of 10 boxes at this price.

Other stuff - you do have to create an account, no guest checkout, and they require adult signature on ammo sales but if you might not be home to sign for it you can choose either UPS or Fedex at checkout and those companies both have options to "Hold at Location" so you can go pick it up at some place convenient to you.

Federal Automatch AM22

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found it to be OK but not great.

It has chocked in loading in some of my shooters especially those with match barrels. Maybe the QC on case size is lacking a wee bit???

I would buy it for revolvers and bolt action rifles if feeding is not an issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only shot a few hundred rounds of it but I haven't had a single issue with reliability. My gun doesn't favorite it however. I've tried more than 2 dozen different brands and types of 22 LR ammo in my rifle and it's in the bottom 1/3rd as far as accuracy goes. It averages roughly 2" groups at 50 yards for me. As far as bulk ammo goes CCI Blazer, Aguila SuperExtra, and Remington Thunderbolt all out shoot it. It does much better than the Federal Champion and Winchester Super-X in my rifle though.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redhill
I've found it to be OK but not great.

It has chocked in loading in some of my shooters especially those with match barrels. Maybe the QC on case size is lacking a wee bit???

I would buy it for revolvers and bolt action rifles if feeding is not an issue.

Yeah, some guys I shoot with have some barrels with bentz chambers and they have issues with a lot of different kinds of ammo. Those are the ones that like CCI also, but they use barrels with tight chambers. Their rifles don't like to extract a live round, so they have to fire to clear. The funny thing is those tight chambers don't do much except for cause delays in our shoots. My Kidd walks all over them in comps. Take that for what you want..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently picked up a pretty high condition S&W M22A for $200. I knew nothing about the firearm, good or bad, other than it was sold as a low budget piece but thought I would give it a go. I took it out with Federal Automatch, sighted it in and it showed promise (25 yards) with a pretty darn nice trigger. I returned to the range with a Sightron Red Dot mounted that Doug was selling for $200 a bit ago. A nice Japanese made optic. Of course my groups (same ammo) were well improved as expected. At near age 61 my eyes do struggle with handgun open sights even at 25 yards. I may try my various SK stuff though I suspect my ability is already the limiting factor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to get out and try some soon. Bought a fair bit of it during the last crunch and have it stashed, but don't recall ever firing any of it ever.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently picked up a pretty high condition S&W M22A for $200. I knew nothing about the firearm, good or bad, other than it was sold as a low budget piece but thought I would give it a go. I took it out with Federal Automatch, sighted it in and it showed promise (25 yards) with a pretty darn nice trigger. I returned to the range with a Sightron Red Dot mounted that Doug was selling for $200 a bit ago. A nice Japanese made optic. Of course my groups (same ammo) were well improved as expected. At near age 61 my eyes do struggle with handgun open sights even at 25 yards. I may try my various SK stuff though I suspect my ability is already the limiting factor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Looks very good for a pistol and inexpensive ammo. I love it when that happens. I'd be content shooting Federal automatch, Federal Champion, American Eagle and the like. As long as it performs like that..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like it for practice but if I'm shooting for meat or money I go up a couple notches to Gold Medal or Else Club

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have tons of this ammo and honestly I cannot get it to shoot in much of anything with acceptable accuracy. I use it in my pistols to make them go bang

Hammer down!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guess I’ll have to buy a box and try it again. I was not a fan of the stuff from ~10yrs ago, was reliable but had too many flyers.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The older box I had was ok but not great in the 617 and the Savage bolt rifle.
The new box I received from Midway a couple weeks ago shot great in both so I bought several more boxes.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.