Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ratchet strap run between the two tie downs in the front of the truck bed with a pulley on it. Run a rope through the pulley. Easy way to pull one up a ramp or board in to the truck bed. I drive a one ton dually and can barely get a deer in the bed without it. Wrestled with a huge NY Muzzleloader doe one year and came up with the idea to save me from learning new swear words while covered with fat guy sweat and deer blood.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on a Nice Buck!

Last edited by saddlering; 10/26/22.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good call, and congrats on the buck! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on that buck and we learned some tips in a very short time.

Last edited by roundoak; 10/26/22.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice buck!

A come along works well too. A little slow but who cares.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be thrilled with that buck rockchuck!
Here's something I found recently. I'm hoping I get to try it this year.

[Linked Image]

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good one. Nicely done.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Deer come apart fairly quickly.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice buck and a great hunt!
I used my quad ramps to load my buck into the quad trailer this year.

I'll be 70 in a few months and have a nasty right knee - and because I hunt on private land, I'm pretty much forced to hunt solo all the time.

I killed an elk last week and was lucky to have a neighbor come up with his skid steer and load her whole in the trailer - saved me hours of back breaking work.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on a good buck. Glad to see you are still out there getting it done. I guess I'm lucky where I hunt. I can drive the Honda Pioneer side x side pretty close to where my stands are. I am usually by myself. I have Synthetic Winch Rope on my winch. I run the winch rope over the top of the roll cage and it comes down behind the bed of the side x side. Put the tailgate down, Hook em up, push the button and it lifts them right into the bed. Then its off to camp and to the skinning shack.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job. I miss hunting mule deer in Idaho

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a portable winch and a piece of plywood.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on getting your buck, RockChuck. And thank you for posting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm 74 with a bad shoulder. My partner is 77 with bad hips. Yesterday we did a 1 day deer hunt and as we were loading up his Dodge Ram, I had an afterthought. I tossed in 1 section of an ATV ramp. I said it was a just-in-case because if we got one, there was no way that us 2 old farts were going to get anything bigger than a fawn up on his high tailgate. I can hardly get up on it myself.
Well, last night I got a good sized buck. Not huge, but big enough to make us grunt dragging him off the hill. Before it was over, I swore that I'd NEVER go out without that ramp again. it saved our butts getting him loaded.

Congrats on the deer!

4.5'-5' length of chain w/hooks that'll hook into the box-corner anchor points. Come-Along clipped onto the chain and crank away. Certainly not the only way to get things done, but, it's a fairly inexpensive way and lots of folks already have most of the necessary components, just gotta toss them into the vehicle.

Grandpa had a Ford Explorer as his last vehicle. He had a ~3' length of 2x4 with an eye-bolt long enough to poke between the gap in the 60/40 split upright section of the rear seats. He'd hook a come-along to the eye-bolt, put the 2x4 on the front of the upright section of the rear seats, position the eye-bolt into the gap between the 60/40 split, and crank the deer into the back up into his early 80's.

Last edited by horse1; 10/27/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A few years back I killed a couple cow elk I could drive to and load whole. Got it done with my son and some atv ramps but swore I would have a winch system next time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I put a flatbed on my truck with a receiver on the headache rack so I can move my big winch between the front, rear and headache rack. Haven't killed an elk I can drive to since! I blame it on the winch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Loading up an elk with a 2500 pound recovery winch and a set of eye bolts in a channel strut for mounting plumbing to walls, bolted to the front of the bed. Atv ramps and it is a one man job. Inexpensive and easy to put in the back of the truck, it takes up no room and saves backs and time...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I've done the same thing a couple times with 1 difference. Next to the passenger door you can just see the top of my Razor. I have a winch rope coming over the corner of the bed, sliding behind a bull ring in the stake pocket.
You don't want to do it quite this way, though, if you want to save the hide. Those expanded metal ramps really peel the hair off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Congratulations and good thinking

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Since I hunt alone these days @ 78 years old and all my old partners are gone.... These pics are super learning tools. Thanks for posting the pictures and not just a typed description.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 10/27/22. Reason: Clarity
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is a great thread! Congrat's Rock Chuck!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

595 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,285
Posts18,448,691
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.