Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm brand new to casting and powder coating. I actually shot my first boolits today. It looks very promising but I have a question. Is it normal with powder coated bullets to get a white "smoke" similar to shooting BP? I loaded some 35 Rem with 36 and 37 grains of H4895. I've never seen this with any other load using that powder. shocked

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have been coating for about 3 years now.

Using Smokes powder from the castboolits site and sometimes it happens.

I have shot 45-70,308,300 sav.,7x57,300BO and the 38-55 and after lubing them the old way i will take powder coat every time.

It really makes a difference with pistol bullets because lube does make a lot.

What type of powder do you use?

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is flame red from Smoke. Sized to 358 with a gas check. The accuracy so far is astounding to me. sub 1" @ 50 with open sights. I just don't want to booger up the rifle doing something wrong. It's all so new to me.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They seem to shoot better groups to me and they are easier to clean.

So far have not had a hint of leading in any of the rifles.

In the 357/38spl rifles they are real good i like to load the 158 semi wadcutter.

Even made up some sub sonic for the Brother in laws new rifle with he had fitted with a suppressor and he loves those loads.

I just run a wet patch maybe a brush then clean patches till dry and have not seen any fouling.

I shot some blackpowder loads in my 45-70 and that rifle looked like it was never shot.

I like it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes…..for our 45-70! If I ever get off of my behind and do more casting…..about 5 more calibers will join the group! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been for about five years now. Mostly 45-70 but also 44 mag and 45 Colt+P in rifles. I have not experienced the smoke ring though.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello, new to all this but I’m looking to start casting some bullets and have some questions. Where are y’all getting your supplies and do you have to size the bullet smaller to use the powder coating? Thanks

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 450hunter
Hello, new to all this but I’m looking to start casting some bullets and have some questions. Where are y’all getting your supplies and do you have to size the bullet smaller to use the powder coating? Thanks

I’ve only done a little and by all means not an authority, so take my comments as such.

Cast normal size for your application, powder coat and size! I bought my powders from Powder by the Pound! Eastwood is reputed to have good powders! I used the “shake and bake” method of coating, and most experienced in the art suggest a #5 (type of plastic, label is located on the bottom of the container) plastic container (I used a large sour cream container) for better creation of static electricity……some also use black air soft plastic pellets to enhance the static charge! I think that the polymer type powders are the best!

High humidity is you “ENEMY” to good static charge, everything must be very dry, including the air…..for best results!

The CastBoolit forum (yes Boolit) is an in valuable source of knowledge for everything reflated to bullet casting/shooting! memtb

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/e-z-powder-coating/
https://forum.castbulletassoc.org/thread/powder-coating-3/

Last edited by memtb; 12/27/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In addition, here is a long thread on the subject with some specifics on where to buy it, plus some other good tips.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14658243/1

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks everyone for the information. I will check it out. Also for the record, I live in Fairbanks Alaska where the air is really dry and static electricity is crazy. I get shocked all the time for no reason.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 450hunter
Thanks everyone for the information. I will check it out. Also for the record, I live in Fairbanks Alaska where the air is really dry and static electricity is crazy. I get shocked all the time for no reason.

Good luck with your powder coating……I think you will be pleased with the results! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For rifle use I powder coat for 25-20 and 308. I don't get the lint collection from my pockets like I do with the soft lubes and I can go higher velocity with softer alloys. I've been as high as 2400 fps with a 180 gr bullet in the 308 using an alloy under 3% antimony.. Normally between 2100-2250 fps with that bullet is my deer hunting load.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I keep my PC rifle bullets under 2400fps but I also cast them soft for guaranteed expansion. Thia reminds me! I need to crank out a few hundred 30-06 Garand loads for when the warm weather arrives.

I have seen the white smoke you speak of. It's normal but not always present. It may be the unusual smell when shooting PC bullets.

Medics bury their mistakes..
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I live in a high humidity rain forest, and I find the wet method works better most days in this climate. Same plastic paint pail, a couple hundred bullets, a light spoon of powder, and the same size spoon of Acetone. Put the lid on it, shake 20 seconds, bake in oven like normal.

“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.