Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot the biggest whitetail buck I ever killed right beside the asswhole as he ran away. 180gr factory Silvertip out of my 30/06 exited the base of his neck and folded him up. He’s not the only deer or elk I’ve used this shot on and it’s always worked.

Sometimes you don’t get the magazine picture shot.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I shot the biggest whitetail buck I ever killed right beside the asswhole as he ran away. 180gr factory Silvertip out of my 30/06 exited the base of his neck and folded him up. He’s not the only deer or elk I’ve used this shot on and it’s always worked.

Betting this didn't ruin as much meat as some would suspect unless the bullet stayed above the spine, then we know what happened.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by TheKid

Betting this didn't ruin as much meat as some would suspect unless the bullet stayed above the spine, then we know what happened.

Bet he washed his hand twice though...

You have to take the shot they give you, unless you're the Varmintmeister of course.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
One windy, snowy morning I watched a buck off in the distant trot thru a saddle on a ridge and head down a large rock strewn hill. I was familiar with the area and assumed he went there to bed down out of the wind. At noon I decided to play Indian and climbed out of the tree and went looking for him. About this time the snow stopped and wind let up and visibility improved as I worked my way on the ridge careful not to skyline.

After peering down into the valley and sidehill I spotted a brown spot in the snow. The binoculars confirmed it was a nice buck laying there quartered towards me. Took off my pack and laid it in the snow for a prone rest. Settled the crosshairs on the back where neck and shoulder meet.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This buck was bedded across a valley at quite a bit lower elevation then I was when I spotted him in a thicket. He was quartered towards me. I could not chance taking off my pack for a rest so put the crosshair on his back and shot him offhand.

What! How could you! You killed them without perfect broadside shot presentation! Didn't even use a rest for the second one! smirk

Last edited by CRS; 10/26/22.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve found the best way to shoot a deer or any ungulate is the same regardless of the angle presented. Simply bisect the front legs, hold a third way up from the sternum and Hey Presto! They either drop to the shot or perform a stiff-legged clop, clop crash. It’s hard to offer any resistance when your Aorta explodes, your blood pressure spikes into quintuple digits before falling to zero and the super vasculated anterior portion of ones lungs are turned into a smoothie.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"What how could you? You killed them without a perfect broadside shot presentation! Didn't even use a rest for the second one!"
...Or even without a 6.5 Creedmoor, grunt tube, Ozonic, rattle bag, feeder, 5-25x52 Swarovski, scent blocker suit, Mossy Oak camo or a hunting house? I suspect location, location, and location and a whole bunch of well honed hunting instinct gets it done for Roundoak every year.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This buck was bedded across a valley at quite a bit lower elevation then I was when I spotted him in a thicket. He was quartered towards me. I could not chance taking off my pack for a rest so put the crosshair on his back and shot him offhand.

That's a dandy.

Shot his twin just a click or two forward from where you hit yours, though mine was close enough to be considered self defense. laugh

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
This buck was at just about the exact angle
as the picture depicted previously. He took an Accubond to the point of his left shoulder, face planted and expired quickly. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
174 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 19 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.