Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bidding on one now in S, long and long rifle.
At 300 CDN so far.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Probably go for $1000.00

Watch Extreme Range AUCTIONS

And Karla's auction Auction starts Nov 4th she has a 9422 magnum in the Auction

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Luck to you Partsman.

One of my favorite .22 rifles.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw

John,

Curious if you've tried the Marlin or the Henry for comparison?

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've owned a Marlin 39. Great rifle with no ifs, ands, or buts. Wish I still had it

I simply prefer the 9422 for it's feel and balance

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Late to the conversation, but I listed a 94/22 XTR on RFC a few days ago.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Rolltide
Late to the conversation, but I listed a 94/22 XTR on RFC a few days ago.

It's a great looking one too!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Don't know how you can get through life without a 9422 or an older 39.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Don't know how you can get through life without a 9422 or an older 39.

Plus a 52, 77/22 and the BL-22

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
At 750.00 CDN now with four days to go.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Just bought a 9422 over the weekend. I paid $1,000.00 for it, but the way prices on these are escalating, I did well.

Last edited by retired3100; 11/22/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

John,

Jerry

I’ve had two Marlins and one 9422, and IMO there’s no question the 9422 was smoother and better finished than either Marlin. My last 39 was purchased about a year ago and the trigger sucked and accuracy was so-so and it went down the road quickly. I was very disappointed. Great old guns with wonderful history and an amazing design, but for a shooter, and pride of ownership, I prefer the Winchester.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have a M94/22 mag and I love it. Grouped it one day at 100 yards with 40 grain JSP Augala and it shot MOA at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jwp475; 11/24/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

John,

Jerry

I’ve had two Marlins and one 9422, and IMO there’s no question the 9422 was smoother and better finished than either Marlin. My last 39 was purchased about a year ago and the trigger sucked and accuracy was so-so and it went down the road quickly. I was very disappointed. Great old guns with wonderful history and an amazing design, but for a shooter, and pride of ownership, I prefer the Winchester.
I’ve never heard of a 39 that wasn’t accurate.

My 39M with micro groove skinny barrel is slicker’n snot. And it’s a tac driver.
I mean when the action is closed, it has the feeling of being locked up, which is good. It’s nothing if not solid. The receiver and bolt are like one when closed.
You can feel it going past the various springs and lock ups when you work the action. But as long as you don’t try and baby it along.., it’s slick.
This particular 39M has the thinner forearm stock too. That and the straight grip buttstock gives it a feel closer to the 9422.
Can’t think of a good reason to change.

But the 9422’s are nice. More select walnut I’m sure. And a higher polish blueing.
I have never heard they are inherently more accurate though.

I would love a 9422 Magnum.
The Marlin magnum uses the longer, fatter 1894 receiver I believe. And it seems like I remember reading of some difficulties with it.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/24/22.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a couple old 39's ,including a Mountie,and 6 -9422's. .22LR s, .22Mags, .17 HMR, Tributes, Hi Grade, love 'em all.

Just fun to shoot.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DollarShort

John,

Jerry

My 39M with micro groove skinny barrel is slicker’n snot. And it’s a tac driver.
I mean when the action is closed, it has the feeling of being locked up, which is good. It’s nothing if not solid. The receiver and bolt are like one when closed.
You can feel it going past the various springs and lock ups when you work the action. But as long as you don’t try and baby it along.., it’s slick.
This particular 39M has the thinner forearm stock too. That and the straight grip buttstock gives it a feel closer to the 9422.

But the 9422’s are nice. More select walnut I’m sure. And a higher polish blueing.

The Marlin magnum uses the longer, fatter 1894 receiver I believe. And it seems like I remember reading of some difficulties with it.
Marlin also offered the Model 57M. Mine is very accurate. So is my 56. I think a lot of people just like an external hammer on a lever gun.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought the first 94/22 I saw in a store, 1976. I had seen and handled a prototype a couple years before (along with the SX1 prototype and the first of the Y series Model 12s.

REALLY should have kept the 9422.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John,

Jerry

Well, my notions about .22 accuracy have “evolved” over the years, no doubt, and 3/4” for 5 shots at 50 yards with hunting ammo is my current standard. The 39A I tried then sold struggled to stay under an inch consistently with any of a number of ammo choices, even some mid-grade target stuff. Scoped, it was heavy, with a heavy trigger that ruled it out as an offhand shooter for me. Got my money back, almost, selling it to a neighbor. So I had the Marlin Experience and got out. If CZ-USA ever gets some 457 stocks in, I’ll replace the one on my MTR and soldier on with that.

Had a 9422 magnum for a bit too. Probably should’ve kept that, but domestic discord dictated I convert some stuff to cash….

That one was about a 1” gun, though others report better luck. 1” is adequate for .22 mag-sized critters I think, but I also have a Hornet that beats that with .22 magnum-equivalent loads.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

John,

Jerry

Well, my notions about .22 accuracy have “evolved” over the years, no doubt, and 3/4” for 5 shots at 50 yards with hunting ammo is my current standard. The 39A I tried then sold struggled to stay under an inch consistently with any of a number of ammo choices, even some mid-grade target stuff. Scoped, it was heavy, with a heavy trigger that ruled it out as an offhand shooter for me. Got my money back, almost, selling it to a neighbor. So I had the Marlin Experience and got out. If CZ-USA ever gets some 457 stocks in, I’ll replace the one on my MTR and soldier on with that.

Had a 9422 magnum for a bit too. Probably should’ve kept that, but domestic discord dictated I convert some stuff to cash….

That one was about a 1” gun, though others report better luck. 1” is adequate for .22 mag-sized critters I think, but I also have a Hornet that beats that with .22 magnum-equivalent loads.

Yeah, the 39A is almost a different animal. Looong, heavy barrel. Would be quiet with CB Caps.

A Hornet would be cool. I got a 22 Mag for a utility type rifle: small game, varmints, predators, and possibly small pigs on rimfire only government land.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Good luck, at one time had both a marlin 39 and the Winchester 9422 , now I have the Winchester 9422 in both .22 and another in .22 mag,great guns

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.