C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
A Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum.

I was eleven.

Shot a 4 point six minutes into opening day.

-Jake
And your expectations were forever ruined haha.

BP-B6

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Old school blued/walnut model 7 243, quiksites and a tasco pronghorn, dad even put gunchaps on it for me, 10yo.

Last edited by killerv; 10/26/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a .32-20, but borrowed a BIL's .25-35 for a couple of years, never killed a deer with either. In later years occsionally used an aunts .25-35 SRC to kill a few. Maybe 5 total.

At 12, I got a 99R in .300 Savage with a folding tang sight. I killed my first couple of deer that year. A really nice buck and a doe.

I learned to handload for it. Used it for every thing. Ball C2, 150 Hornady SP for deer and 100 gr half jackets for varmints.

I sold it before leaving for the Marines in 1966 at 19.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I killed my first deer with a Winchester 94 30.30, it was not mine but a family rifle. My very own first rifle was a Remington M.721 in 30.06. That was in 1958.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad didn't hunt so I didn't start hunting until I was in college. I went with one of my roommates to NW Colorado in 1965 and killed my first deer, a spike muley, with a borrowed 94 Winchester in .32 Win Spl. I was 19.

The next year I went to the same area with my roommate and killed my first elk, a 5 pt bull, with a borrowed 30-40 Krag.

That got me turned on to hunting, so in '67 I ordered a .30-06 barreled action and a semi-inleted stock from Herters and put together my first centerfire rifle. I used that rifle for about 8 years, putting a deer and elk in my freezer every year along wth several pronghorn antelope. I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs in 1977 and for the next 20+ years it put an elk in my freezer just about every year along with 2 Shiras bull moose, a mountain goat, and an Alaskan caribou.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Remington 700 ADL with cheapo 3 x 9 Tasco scope in .30-06. I bought it with my own money as a Junior in high school is 1988.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by buffybr
My Dad didn't hunt so I didn't start hunting until I was in college. I went with one of my roommates to NW Colorado in 1965 and killed my first deer, a spike muley, with a borrowed 94 Winchester in .32 Win Spl. I was 19.

The next year I went to the same area with my roommate and killed my first elk, a 5 pt bull, with a borrowed 30-40 Krag.

That got me turned on to hunting, so in '67 I ordered a .30-06 barreled action and a semi-inleted stock from Herters and put together my first centerfire rifle. I used that rifle for about 8 years, putting a deer and elk in my freezer every year along wth several pronghorn antelope. I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs in 1977 and for the next 20+ years it put an elk in my freezer just about every year along with 2 Shiras bull moose, a mountain goat, and an Alaskan caribou.

I've had two of those Herter's stocks. Talk about tight-grip knuckle bruisers! I always figured they were designed by some guy with a real skinny dick. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Model 94 30-30

The way life should be.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage 24 222/20ga was my first deer gun at 9. Followed shortly with a sporterized M98 8x57.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
1960 production Remington 760 carbine in 30-06. Was Dad's then went to Mom.... She gave up hunting when I was legal to hunt at age 12 in 1981. I still carry it to this day.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Remington 700 BDL 30-06 bought with paper route money when I was 13 and started hunting with at the then legal age of 14. The first rifle that I killed a deer with was a Marlin 336 chambered in 30/30. I shot a few does with a bow before shooting my first deer with a rifle. Back then the legal age for bow hunting was 12 but 14 for rifle and rifle hunting was mostly buck only.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A used Remington 700 Adl in 30-06. Garbage Tasco scope on top.
My grandpa bought it off a coworker at the sawmill. I had saved up money from mowing yards and shoveling snow off of roofs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Savage 99 in .308. Used Norma 150 grain factory ammo. Iron sights.
I was 13.

Hunted in SE Idaho. First buck was around 175, the second 185+. Wish I could go back and do it again.

Last edited by RinB; 10/26/22.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My first deer gun was a smooth bore 12 gauge Mossberg 500 slugster. My first deer rifle was a model 94 .30-30. We lived close to the rifle/shotgun zone line and I didn't have a money tree or anybody buying/giving me guns. Since I had limited funds, places to hunt on both sides of the line and the shotgun was legal in both zones, it made the most sense for my first deer gun. I had a buck and a doe on the ground before 10 am on opening morning of my first season with the Mossberg and rifled slugs. By the next season I had the .30-30 for hunting in the rifle zone.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My first rifle was a "sporterized 'O3 A3 30'06 I bought in a pawn shop at about 20 years old. Learned how to shoot a centerfire rifle at 100 yards off a concrete bench with it, but never got to hunt it...it did hold 6" groups at 100 yards with the original iron sights for my 1st visit to a real rifle range. I used some pawn shop ammo too that I paid umm 15/20 cents a round for as the Dallas Rifle Range did not allow left over military steel jacket ammo on the range that I could buy for 10cents a round and shoot at beer cans at an access point at Lake Dallas.

Not too long after that my Grand Father got wind of my pending wedding and suggested that I find $250 and buy my wedding present from him, as he had loaned a guy $500 and got a SAKO 579 243 to hold until the debt was paid, and the guy had only repaid $250 of the debt in the 6 months allowable. I got married as advertised in the family loudspeaker (another uncle)....and make my new wife aware of my indebtedness....Jeez THAT was not fun.

The following year my grandfather had gotten on a deer lease in central Texas and invited me to come with him for a long weekend if I would cook. He was all crippled up from being run over and pinned to the back wall by a Fire Truck that lost it's brakes while he guided it into the Fire House where he was the #2 guy.

I spent all fall getting ready, shooting the SAKO at the new half finished Dallas Gun Range, learning how to shoot reliably, and won private bets enough to "write" my initials on a business card at 100 yards, and sold the old '03A3 for enough to get a decent Weaver scope and a super simple reloading kit in a small black box & supplies so I could make my own ammo on the kitchen table ...still got the kit, 55 years later.

Went on trip to the Deer Lease and made my first "kill". I was hiding down near the rivers edge hiding in some boulders when I saw a quail walking the bank towards me, chasing bugs, and GrandPop was about 50- 60 yards up the hill behind me out of sight ....as he could not make it up & down the trail even with his cane and a rope, needless to say I was bored stiff ...so I shot the quail's head off leaving a clean bottom half of the quails beak....and grand pop eased down trail as close as he could get and beat the snot outta me with his big walking stick. He ate the quail that nite too.

The next morning I eased back down thru the rocks to "my" spot...and watched as a small herd of WT's eased up the river bed towards us , and got ready to make my 1st kill from my hidey hole...but the deer got spooked when I got squirmy and shot between the front feet of the buck leading the herd...and emptied the rifle as the deer hauled arse up the opposite steep river bank as I reloaded & emptied the Sako again ... all the the while listening to my grand pop roar with laughter. The long 6+ hour ride back to Dallas was yet another bonding and learning experience... I heard "In Deer Hunting it is NOT always easy so stay awake and pay attention no matter how dull it is" a couple dozen times .

The only time I ever saw the old man with tears in his eyes again was when he called me to come over, one Saturday morning years later. He'd just returned from his last trip to Alaska, he went somewhere to hunt every other year...and handed me his last rifle, saying I can't see to hit anymore , so here you take this.

Some years later in a similar setup at another river bottom I got bored sitting in a wood blind that was elevated enough so you could see over the side of the hill and watch a running creek bottom and part of the pecan tree grove across the creek, that was part of our lease. I eased down the steep hillside, got set up and watched the herd of turkeys I had heard chow down on ripe pecans ...until one of them stopped eating and started listening to the truck easing towards the road down to the creek from the next property....and I took his head off at about 150 yards and watched the farmer on the next property drive down HIS side of the fence that separated his property from our Lease looking for the turkey's ....with a another SAKO 243.

Years Later I repped for Stoeger in a 5 state territory, and always felt like "Some how I was supposed to do this according to some body and felt almost at home in Finland"
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 10/26/22. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Military surplus Spanish 8mm Mauser. It weighed about nine pounds and had sights so fine I could not see them except in excellent light. I bought it with money I made from mowing lawns. I could not have been happier with any custom rifle. I never did get a deer to cooperate while hunting with that rifle though.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
First rifle was grandpas spanish mauser in 7 x 57, unfortunately the sights are bent so it doesnt go out much, when indiana opened deer to rifles i bought a howa game king in 6.5 cm, its got 5 deer in 3 years, first was about half an hour after daybreak opening day, i spooked it trying to find the stand in the dark, and it came out about 40 minutes later. Next year i got 3 in about a minute without moving, tagged out. Last year was second to last day, got a buck at the same stand the first one was at. This year ive added a 243 mauser and a 257 weatherby, the one place i hunt at is wide open on one side and ive seen deer across the property, so think that may go incase there are any as i go in

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Started out at 15 with a Marlin 336 in 30-30. No luck until a few years later. In 1988 I borrowed a Winchester Model 70 in 270 Winchester and shot a 3pt buck at about 110yards...bang, flop. I shot Federal Premium 130 BTSP. It had a Bushnell 4x40 scope on it(wish those were still made!) it was very little fanfare...just results👍
Thanks, Tom

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I was 15 saved may hay money all summer to buy a new Winchester model 94 30-30
Sold it a few years later for a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had hunted and killed whitetail with my 12 gauge shotgun prior to having a rifle. First year we were married my wife bought me a Ruger M77 in 270 WIN right after Christmas. I was 22 and that was in 1978, it’s still killing deer for me.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.