Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Kaleb

I have a couple DA Masks, but the Griffin Optimus Micro caught my eye since it can also be used on 22 CF. I also have the Nomad Ti, I think you’ll be happy with your selections so far.

David

I have decided to get my first suppressor. I am getting one for rimfires. Why wouldn't I go with something like the Optimus Micro over a Dead Air Mask since I don't care about weight and the Optimus would allow me to use it on a 223? Would the Optimus Micro be as quiet as a Dead Air Mask?

The Mask shines on 22 LR pistols with short barrels but once you get over 8 inches or so of barrel most all suppressors are pretty similar.

The Optimus would be similar to the Mask on a 22LR rifle but might be a bit louder on a 4 1/2 pistol but still ear safe.

Being able to use the Optimus on an AR is a pretty useful thing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
ALL... quite literally ALL .22 cans work the same...

The math is that easy...

I have a $199 Sparrow... it is junk, but it works great.

GemTech ammo...

Don't over think it...

Puff... Puff... Puff...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BOTH of those examples are easily trumped......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Kaleb

I have a couple DA Masks, but the Griffin Optimus Micro caught my eye since it can also be used on 22 CF. I also have the Nomad Ti, I think you’ll be happy with your selections so far.

David

I have decided to get my first suppressor. I am getting one for rimfires. Why wouldn't I go with something like the Optimus Micro over a Dead Air Mask since I don't care about weight and the Optimus would allow me to use it on a 223? Would the Optimus Micro be as quiet as a Dead Air Mask?

Just curious but when someone says they’re not worried about the weight I’m curious what the application is?

Shooting off a rest at a range and an occasional back porch kind of shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing

The math is that easy...

Don't over think it...

I whole heartedly Disagree; Based on experience with only a few cans (centerfire & rimfire).

Unless of course you're talking rimfire rifles only, then you are partly correct. Out of a .22 LR rifle most any can is good. A .22LR pistol will separate the so so cans from the really good cans.

Only partly correct because the ability of the design to be easily disassembled and cleaned is important.

No, "Don't over think it", but use the experience of those who have or have shot multiple cans to get the best suppressor for your needs.

I will also add that I often buy and try different guns, If a any gun doesn't fly my kite, it can pretty easily be sold... Not so with suppressors, so shop wisely.

Paul, I just picked up my Optimus Micro last Friday (eight months with an e-file). I put it on my Ruger Mark 4 22LR but haven't shot it on that platform yet, but will pipe in once I have to see how quiet it is on a pistol compared to the Dead Air Mask.

The Two Tactical Innovation Quest's that I have are pretty heavy duty, stainless steel (baffles, end caps and tube & weigh 8 ounces). They are only rated for 22LR (I have read that some manufacturer's only rate their cans for 22LR because they do not want to go through testing them - let alone warranting them for other calibers). I would not hesitate to put them on a 17 HMR, but I would never, ever put them on a 5.56!!! I would expect that I would be plucking the pieces out of my face after the first trigger pull.

Soo, what's the first thing I did after getting the Optimus home? Spun it onto a bolt-action, 18.5 inch barreled .223, grabbed a pocket full of shells and headed over to the range. I consider the muzzle blast from a 223/5.56 wickedly nasty and don't shoot them without either a good suppressor (hunting only), hearing protection or both. I didn't expect much suppression on a 223 with this can. After shooting half a dozen rounds I took off the muff's with the intention of firing only one round to get an idea of the suppression (I figured that I'd regret doing even one round), ended up firing four rounds. Not bad, the boom sounded like it was out in front, no earsplitting deafening crack or boom. Hearing safe - Not, but it seriously attenuates that nasty blast/crack. I was impressed, I would not hesitate to hunt with it (not high volume shooting, but mostly walking hunting like for coyotes, etc.).

After I had pressed the buy button on this suppressor, I had buyer's remorse... WTF? I've got better suppressors for my .223, and, I should have gotten a dedicated larger volume .223 can (hearing safe) for my .223! The buyers remorse is gone. I like this can.

I hope to find someone around here who has a threaded 17 HMR so I can try it (and the Dead Air Mask) for a suppression comparison.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

The math is that easy...

Don't over think it...

I whole heartedly Disagree; Based on experience with only a few cans (centerfire & rimfire).

Unless of course you're talking rimfire rifles only, then you are partly correct. Out of a .22 LR rifle most any can is good. A .22LR pistol will separate the so so cans from the really good cans.

Only partly correct because the ability of the design to be easily disassembled and cleaned is important.

No, "Don't over think it", but use the experience of those who have or have shot multiple cans to get the best suppressor for your needs.

I will also add that I often buy and try different guns, If a any gun doesn't fly my kite, it can pretty easily be sold... Not so with suppressors, so shop wisely.

Paul, I just picked up my Optimus Micro last Friday (eight months with an e-file). I put it on my Ruger Mark 4 22LR but haven't shot it on that platform yet, but will pipe in once I have to see how quiet it is on a pistol compared to the Dead Air Mask.

The Two Tactical Innovation Quest's that I have are pretty heavy duty, stainless steel (baffles, end caps and tube & weigh 8 ounces). They are only rated for 22LR (I have read that some manufacturer's only rate their cans for 22LR because they do not want to go through testing them - let alone warranting them for other calibers). I would not hesitate to put them on a 17 HMR, but I would never, ever put them on a 5.56!!! I would expect that I would be plucking the pieces out of my face after the first trigger pull.

Soo, what's the first thing I did after getting the Optimus home? Spun it onto a bolt-action, 18.5 inch barreled .223, grabbed a pocket full of shells and headed over to the range. I consider the muzzle blast from a 223/5.56 wickedly nasty and don't shoot them without either a good suppressor (hunting only), hearing protection or both. I didn't expect much suppression on a 223 with this can. After shooting half a dozen rounds I took off the muff's with the intention of firing only one round to get an idea of the suppression (I figured that I'd regret doing even one round), ended up firing four rounds. Not bad, the boom sounded like it was out in front, no earsplitting deafening crack or boom. Hearing safe - Not, but it seriously attenuates that nasty blast/crack. I was impressed, I would not hesitate to hunt with it (not high volume shooting, but mostly walking hunting like for coyotes, etc.).

After I had pressed the buy button on this suppressor, I had buyer's remorse... WTF? I've got better suppressors for my .223, and, I should have gotten a dedicated larger volume .223 can (hearing safe) for my .223! The buyers remorse is gone. I like this can.

I hope to find someone around here who has a threaded 17 HMR so I can try it (and the Dead Air Mask) for a suppression comparison.

Jerry

Looking forward to hearing how it goes on a rimfire. Mine would see use on 22LR, 22 Magnum, 17HM2 and 17HMR and on 223 as well.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a GEMTECH 22 suppressor. Subsonics sound like an BB gun.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TWR
Rimfire is dirty and some centerfire cans have to be sent off to be cleaned. Make sure whatever can you buy it is user serviceable. This is why I would suggest against a centerfire can on 22 Rimfire.

I’m certainly not trying to stop you from buying a can cause everyone needs a 22 Rimfire can but I don’t shoot mine as much as I thought I would. Simply because I shot it so much after I got it, I had to sandblast the baffles. Now I clean it every 100 rounds.

Have you tried the brake fluid trick on the baffles? I just did it for first time, supposed to make cleaning a lot easier.

Put 500 rounds through my switchback, soaked baffles in slip 2000 carb killer for 3 days, hit with a brush, through in a ultrasonic cleaner and then in a tumber with walnut media. Came out 95% clean with very little effort. But it was a several day affair. Then did the brake fluid treatment on baffles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any of you guys that own multiple done any accuracy comparisons? Most of the reviews/comparisons focus on noise levels, first round pop, etc, but I’d also like to see accuracy comparisons done personally.

I only have one rimfire can and fairly happy with it (especially since I haven’t been able to compare it to many others).

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Kaleb

David

I have the optimus micro and have had it on a Ruger American 22 for a while. Cleaning 22 rf residue is a pita.

The muzzle devices for the optimus are a pain if you don’t use the direct thread and they add a lot of weight. . It is going to become a dedicated 223 can and I’ll be adding some dedicated 22 rf cans. Probably a mask and a takedown 22.

Recovering Yankee
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
As for cleaning, GEMTECH says 50000 rounds, send it back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like my Mask HD might could stand cleaning every 500 rounds or so. I did the CLR dunk for 7-8 hours on the SS baffles (not the body or endcaps) and all the back gunk just wiped right off with shop towels. I used the little M&M candy canister you get at the walmart checkout. Just the right size for all the baffles to slide in. Only need maybe 4-5oz of CLR per cleaning. Saw the process on an online video.

Last edited by JPro; 11/14/22.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've read clr on stainless steel for long periods of time is a nono

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine is an older Gemtech Outback 2D I think. It has a SS blast baffle and the rest are aluminum. The gunk was a lot easier to get off than the melted lead on the aluminum baffles.

Edit to add: Do not use the dip solution.

I am going to send mine back to Gemtech and have it changed out for the monocore baffle, it should be easier to clean and will up the rating to 22 mag. But for now no more than I shoot it, until I get it upgraded I'm done cleaning it.

I need to buy a 223 can but just hate the wait time, though I've been putting it off long enough that I could have had 4 or 5 by now.

Last edited by TWR; 11/14/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
I use a solution of apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to get most of it off but there's still a lot of scraping to be done if you let it go too long.

TWR, You are probably aware of this, but for those that are not, this is called the "Dip".

Use with caution.

Both the liquid & residual slurry byproducts of using the dip are very Toxic, and need to be handled and disposed of responsibly.

Use chemical resistant gloves & eye protection when using or handling parts that have been in the dip.

I thought I'd read that the 'Dip' would dissolve aluminum? Duration of exposure may be the key factor? I know for a fact that it will literally eat steel (not stainless steel though).

Jerry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine would see use on 22LR, 22 Magnum, 17HM2 and 17HMR and on 223 as well.

There are two things that define a 'rimfire' can; size & ability to disassemble and clean it.

The ability to clean out the lead and lube is a concern only for 22LR (or any lead alloy bullet).

The 22 Magnum, 17HM2, and 17 HMR bullets obviously are jacketed and not lubed. Though Winchester does have (had?) a 22 Magnum lead bullet round (dynapoints - I believe?), as well as Winchester & CCI WRF ammo that can be fired in a 22 Magnum that has a lead alloy & lubed bullet.

So you need to take a look at how much you are going to shoot 22 LR and 223 for selecting your suppressor.

If shooting 22LR is going to be rare, then I'd look at a larger suppressor, especially if you're going to shoot a lot of 223.

However, the 22LR (subsonic in a rifle) is the quietest suppressed round, truly "Hollywood" quiet. All the others you mention are supersonic, and the supersonic crack (from breaking the sound barrier) cannot be eliminated.

Please note that I do not own a 22 Magnum or a 17 HMR, so those that do can answer best what 'rimfire' suppressor works well for suppressing those rounds.

Jerry

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
I use a solution of apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to get most of it off but there's still a lot of scraping to be done if you let it go too long.

TWR, You are probably aware of this, but for those that are not, this is called the "Dip".

Use with caution.

Both the liquid & residual slurry byproducts of using the dip are very Toxic, and need to be handled and disposed of responsibly.

Use chemical resistant gloves & eye protection when using or handling parts that have been in the dip.

I thought I'd read that the 'Dip' would dissolve aluminum? Duration of exposure may be the key factor? I know for a fact that it will literally eat steel (not stainless steel though).

Jerry
Edit to add: do not use the dip solution.

Last edited by TWR; 11/14/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
When I was shooting a lot with the MK IV 22 with a TK brake on it, I would notice it would get clogged up and the dip worked well on both the aluminum and later SS brakes we had. Literally let both of them sit overnight in a bowl of it and never noticed any damage to either. I also sand blasted the aluminum one the first time it got clogged up so it was bare aluminum.

edit to add, I don't let my baffles sit for very long in the dip and rinse with hot water.

As mentioned above the dip is very toxic as the lead is in solution and easily absorbed.

It should not be going down the drain.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

The math is that easy...

Don't over think it...

I was speaking about a .22 can...

I thought I said that above...

I am not familiar with any .22 can that cannot be easily disassembled for cleaning

As for centerfire... I own 9...

This topic was about rimfires IIRC...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I did a write up on cleaning sealed cans a while back...

If your can (centerfire) is all Titanium soak it anything you like.

If it is SS and Ti... be careful of the soak and how long or else risking the SS.

If it is aluminum (Bowers and .22 cans mostly)... be VERY CAREFUL with chemicals.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 1,958 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.