Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I was gifted a plains game safari with Trophies Africa. This was purchased before COVID turned international travel upside down and it sounds like communication has been off and on. This would be my first guided hunt, though I have done plenty of DIY hunts throughout the US, nothing out of country. I'm looking for input/insight on this operation, just doing a bit of home work before committing resources. Feel free to PM me if desired. Thank you

http://www.hunttrophiesafrica.com/

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Craig Boddington has forwarded me the information on Trophies Africa.

Having talked to Craig and his daughter a few times, they recommend nice places to hunt. Some are better than others.

Will you be hunting in South Africa or Zimbabwe?

Price wise, the prices are in line with other destinations in South Africa.

I am not sure how many days you will be on your hunt, you indicated that some animals are included. The ranch has a nice selections of animals to choose from.

My suggestion is to be selective, while in the field and ask questions of your PH.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
More information is needed to give any advice. Are you on a package deal that includes certain animals? How many days? Are you planning on taking a rifle or using a camp gun? If the package includes specific animals, do you plan to add others?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This is a 5-day, 5 animal plains game safari in South Africa so I’m assuming impala, zebra, warthog, and the like. I personally have not made contact yet, I’m currently soliciting thoughts/opinions on the operation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So it's Africa. Go kill something. You will most likely enjoy yourself.

As jdollar stated, if you have specific questions, just ask.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by hackleback
This is a 5-day, 5 animal plains game safari in South Africa so I’m assuming impala, zebra, warthog, and the like. I personally have not made contact yet, I’m currently soliciting thoughts/opinions on the operation.

You need to know what 5 animals, then decide what you might want to add to the list. And I would certainly add some extra days. To travel that far and only stay 5 days is crazy. It takes at least 1-2 days just to get over the jet lag. Stay at least 7 hunting days, plus arrival and departure days. Normally these package include 2 larger animals and 2-3 smaller ones. I’ve never heard of the operation but that means nothing as there are probably hundreds of SA outfitters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jdollar

You need to know what 5 animals, then decide what you might want to add to the list. And I would certainly add some extra days. To travel that far and only stay 5 days is crazy. It takes at least 1-2 days just to get over the jet lag. Stay at least 7 hunting days, plus arrival and departure days. Normally these package include 2 larger animals and 2-3 smaller ones. I’ve never heard of the operation but that means nothing as there are probably hundreds of SA outfitters.
Good advice!

I've done 6 African hunts. On my last two hunts (to Mozambique) I only brought home one animal from each trip, but I was being very picky.

I've usually booked for at least 10 days for each trip, and never thought that my trip was too long.

Take extra $$ and be open to to shooting an extra animal or 2 or 3.

On my first trip we were hunting in the Limpopo Province with 3 friends, and we spent a couple of days going through Kruger Park. No regrets there.

Have fun!!!

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jdollar

I agree with the idea of doing a longer hunt if you can swing it. It's a long trip to Southern Africa and it takes a couple of days to get adjusted to the time change. I just returned from a 12 day hunt in Mozambique and it didn't seem too long.

I get into a nice groove out in the bush going out every day and looking for animals. More time and probably more animals is a good recommendation. In Africa you never know what you will see and you might get a chance at a great trophy you hadn't planned on. It's nice to be able take advantage of situations like that.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I agree with all about spending more time in SA. I see this trip as at least 2 weeks. I have some ideas on other activities as well. I think my original question (that I worded poorly) was missed a bit by some, I was looking to see what kind of reputation this outfit had- stand-up well known or ??
Thanks all, more to think about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Checkout the African Hunting website if you haven’t already. There’s a lot of experience and info over there. Odds are you can find some reviews on that site.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Make contact with the outfitter and verify payment arrangements. I've read that many will only take American dollars cash as payment. This means taking a fair amount of cash with you which isn't my idea of fun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep nothing like
Going they the Joberg airport with 15,000 American dollars!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with all about spending more time in SA. I see this trip as at least 2 weeks. I have some ideas on other activities as well. I think my original question (that I worded poorly) was missed a bit by some, I was looking to see what kind of reputation this outfit had- stand-up well known or ??
Thanks all, more to think about.
I wish I could help but I'm not familiar with the outfitter you mention. There are a lot of outfitters, especially in South Africa. I agree with TheLastLemming76 that looking at Africa Hunting could be useful. I did my last hunt with Neil Duckworth and Mokore Safaris and they are top notch, but since you were gifted a hunt you'll want to find references for that outfitter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
752 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.