-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Always a great day when FedEx rolls up with J4 .30 cal. jacket goodness. smile Good timing...I was down to my last 800!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you can make a few now. Happy time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What weights will you be making?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What weights will you be making?

With my 7 ogive/.625 metplat dies, the 1.00" jackets make great bullets from 115's to a smidge over 132's. The .925's are perfect for 108-ish to the 115 range.

Cores started showing up Saturday so that's a relief....though I can make my own if need be. I keep several spools of core wire on hand for experimenting with different weights, antimony percentages and in case of core supply issues.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've stood looking down that rabbit hole for a long time. Part of me is glad I didn't, part of me wishes I had. The bullet casting for ASSRA and CBA (and the shooting thereof) keeps me out of the bars too much as it is.šŸ˜‚

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I know a 30BR barrel lasts a long time but that many might get you into the next barrel too grin

More shooting , more fun!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Well, quit typing and get to work šŸ˜

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've stood looking down that rabbit hole for a long time. Part of me is glad I didn't, part of me wishes I had.

When I started making my own BR quality .30 bullets in 2006, it was really to find out if I had the skills to make a good bullet. My good pal Randy Robinett (BIB Bullets) mentored me and remains a wealth of knowledge to this day. Without Randy's encouragement, I doubt I would have made the significant investment of time and resources to do this.

Another part is having a major piece of my BR program being done in-house. BR accuracy-level custom bullet availability has always been subject to components and the bullet makers time. Traveling to the IBS Nationals once w/o a comfortable supply of bullets, I decided to never let myself get backed into that corner again.

The final piece is the satisfaction of doing well with bullets you've made yourself. For the few others that I've supplied, seeing them win/place/show is almost as good.

Yesterday was our last tournament of the season....a Score event at 100 followed by a Group event, also at 100. Conditions were pretty snotty with the predominate condition being switchy from 5 o'clock to 8 o'clock which at this range will guarantee not only about a bullet and half of vertical but also some horizontal/vertical displacement if you're focused to much on the flags and miss the mirage snapping back and forth.

In the end, both the Score and Group event wins came down on my side of the ledger. Always fun to give the PPC guys some fun ribbing about a lowly .30 finishing ahead of 'em in a Group event. wink All in all, a pretty good way to end the season.

Equipment is my Heavy Varmint (13.5 lbs) gun, RB/LP/RE Panda, Bruno/McMillan pattern stock, Kreiger twisted 1:17, modified Jewell trigger and one of Sightron's new SIII Competition ED 36X45 scopes in Harrell's rings. I converted the Panda to what I call a 'Pan-diak' (a Panda/Kodiak crossbreed) by adding a front recoil lug and some other less obvious tweaks.

Good shootin' (and competing) smile

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bravo!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hat is off to you Sir, congrats!

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Al,

Pretty cool - I will at some point start making my own.

Right now with TomE close, I have been buying Vapor Trail bullets ā€¦ which used to be Clay Spensers ā€¦. I had contacted Clay about learning bullet making from him, but life had other plansā€¦ so I had to skip it for this last year.

Right now Iā€™m making custom sizing dies to match my custom reamers for 6 creed & 6 Dasherā€¦.

In Dec. Iā€™ll be building my first official bench rifleā€¦ so making bullets wonā€™t be too far down the road.

I wish you lived closer Iā€™d love to watch you make sum pills.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Grats, Al. I'd bet the satisfaction of doing it with your own is really high.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Al,

Pretty cool - I will at some point start making my own.

Right now with TomE close, I have been buying Vapor Trail bullets ā€¦ which used to be Clay Spensers ā€¦. I had contacted Clay about learning bullet making from him, but life had other plansā€¦ so I had to skip it for this last year.

I wish you lived closer Iā€™d love to watch you make sum pills.

I'm mentoring a BR pal in accuracy bullet making right now. It's a nice way to pass on what accuracy bullet making is...part technical/part art/part experience.

I make some 150 gr. bullets on the 1.150" jackets with a harder antimony cores with these dies, too. They are a killer good bullet in everything from the 308W to the 300 WSM sized cases. They've worked well on everything from big hogs, white tails, mulies, caribou, black bear, elk and antelope. Plus, they're the 'standard' I use when sorting out any .30 cal. hunting rigs.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Al,

I was going to try to spend some times with Spensor to do that but things didnā€™t pan out time wise so I never got to do itā€¦. Right now Iā€™m waiting / trying to get my schedule done.. Moving your house, shop, ā€¦ all at the same time is a bear.

But itā€™s on my list - but under the ā€œbuild my first Bench rifleā€ā€¦. Done bunches of PRS / Field rifles that shoot at that level but this is my first bench one.
Iā€™m still waiting on the Bat Action to get hereā€¦ everything else is here already.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/28/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's always a good idea to start a new BR level rifle off with several 'known quantity' bullets to better evaluate it.

I'd encourage you to check pin protrusion, spring weight and the cocking piece fit in the shroud and correct as needed as soon as you receive the action.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.