Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hello all!
I've had my first 22 WMR rifle for a little over a year and had opportunity to shoot it on Saturday. I used the 30 grain CCI load. It is a CZ 457 and pretty impressive accuracy wise.
Does anyone have a favorite 22 WMR load for coyotes? I'm a little concerned with the light bullet in the loads I used. Any experience with this or other loads is appreciated.
Take care all!
Rick

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Just about any one will work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree the heavier bullet sounds like the best idea, but also agree with hikerbum that most will work if you're within 22WMR range. I shoot the lighter 30 grain V-Max because they're the most accurate in my rifle.

Last edited by Timbo; 10/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandson flattened a few with the Aguila 40 gr. semi jacked soft point, complete pass throughs staying off the shoulder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Take care!
Congrats to the grandson. You’re a good granddad. Thanks for introducing him to skills he will enjoy the rest of his life!
My seven year old grandson and I are fishing as I type. He caught about a 3 lb Largemouth an hour or so ago.
He says I’m the best fishing teacher he ever had. I’m the only one he ever had! smirk
Take care!
Rick

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I use winchester super x 40gr jhp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago I had a Marlin bolt gun with the tube magazine in .22 Magnum. That sucker would really shoot the Winchester Super X 40 gr. hollowpoint load. I killed a pretty good number of coyotes, a few fox, one bobcat, some coons, groundhogs, skunks, feral cats, crows and one deer with that rifle and load. Living on a farm and also being a predator caller gave lots of opportunities for trigger time. I had zero issues but I was very careful with shot placement.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For anything over 10 lbs., I like the Federal Small Game 50 grain JHPs in my Marlin, Remington, and Savage rifles and in my Rossi and S&W revolvers.

My experience with the .22 MAG is parallel to MOGC's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Years ago I had a Marlin bolt gun with the tube magazine in .22 Magnum. That sucker would really shoot the Winchester Super X 40 gr. hollowpoint load. I killed a pretty good number of coyotes, a few fox, one bobcat, some coons, groundhogs, skunks, feral cats, crows and one deer with that rifle and load. Living on a farm and also being a predator caller gave lots of opportunities for trigger time. I had zero issues but I was very careful with shot placement.
This. Hell of a hog bullet too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been shooting coyotes with the 40g Win hp for 20+ years. I have tried many of the bullets. I have had Ruger 77's, Browning A Bolt, Mauser, and Cz.

Couple of things that I have learned:

Plated bullets lead up a barrel in a hurry, so I will only shoot a jacketed bullet.

30-32g can fail you on coyotes, but great on small varmints.

Clean your barrel every 250 rounds to keep your 22 Mag shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yards and often less.

The killing power of a 22 Magnum with the 40g Hp is awesome to say the least. I could not get Federal 50g to stabilize in any of my rifles. 40g Win hp will shoot holes through Coyote shoulders.

IC B3

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
That sucker would really shoot the Winchester Super X 40 gr. hollowpoint load.

I've only been shooting the 22 mag for about 60 years. For the first 40 years, I think we only had the WW 40 gr. HP. I have tried many of the newer / latest rounds but the old WW 40 gr. HP still works best for me.

BTW good shooting Lil' Crittrgittr!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
22 mag is and has always been a powerful great rimfire cartridge, i own a few 22 mags too . this cartridge has always been a great poachers cheap cartridge too for the family winter deer meat . the only problem is distance sometimes . congrats on the grandson shoot`n coyotes ,the 22 mag. was the first rifle my son also got from me a 22 mag Marlin s.s. varmint which he still owns.

Last edited by pete53; 10/12/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i use the Hordady 30 grain Vmax in my marlin tube fed magnum. impressive kills on big coons and coyotes.

FJB
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hard to improve on the Winchester 40 JHP, performance wise. Generally in the top three accuracy wise of loads in any .22 WMR I’ve ever wrung out and they expand while holding together and penetrating as deep as any expanding load barring the Federal 50gr hollow points. But I am pretty sure those , if they do expand, do so rarely and I wouldn’t use them on a coyote unless I wasn’t concerned about retrieving the carcass.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the 50 grain game point. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot anything your rifle likes (except fmj) inside 100 yards. I’ve killed them stone dead with little 17 grain HMR bullets out to about 80 yards, so the bigger WMR shouldn’t have any issues.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Hello all!
I've had my first 22 WMR rifle for a little over a year and had opportunity to shoot it on Saturday. I used the 30 grain CCI load. It is a CZ 457 and pretty impressive accuracy wise.
Does anyone have a favorite 22 WMR load for coyotes? I'm a little concerned with the light bullet in the loads I used. Any experience with this or other loads is appreciated.
Take care all!
Rick

I have always used the Winchester Super-X 40 gr JHP. I have made kills on both coyotes and badgers out to around 125 yds. I use a Marlin 783 with a Leupold 3-9x40 for them. I have had it since the late 70's.
I would not recommend using the JHP on rabbits, squirrels, grouse or other edible game. I use solids for that.

I do have some CCI Game Points I intend to try if I can find a coyote to use them on.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd only head shoot them with the 30's, unless you like them running to never be found.

I only use the Winchester 40gr JHP or the Hornady Critical Defense FTX 45gr

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BustemAgain
Hard to improve on the Winchester 40 JHP, performance wise. Generally in the top three accuracy wise of loads in any .22 WMR I’ve ever wrung out and they expand while holding together and penetrating as deep as any expanding load barring the Federal 50gr hollow points. But I am pretty sure those , if they do expand, do so rarely and I wouldn’t use them on a coyote unless I wasn’t concerned about retrieving the carcass.

The 50 grain has been an impressive killer for me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

They also shoot well in a 9422M. Thumpers

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by jwp475

They also shoot well in a 9422M. Thumpers

The 9422M is what I have

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (222ND, 1lesfox, 320090T, 160user, 12344mag, 303savage, 35 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 682 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,587
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.