Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Hard to believe a break open single costs that much today. I remember my younger brother bought a brand new H&R 20 gauge for his first shotgun when he was in junior high for 39.95.

This... I find it hard to believe anyone would buy these...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some say something is worth what someone will pay for it. I say something's worth is based on how much pleasure it brings to the owner. I bought my little gem for three times what it sold for new when they were still being made. I've no problem with that. Some people pay thousands for handmade calls, rare postage stamps, old bottles of wine. If it brings the buyer some joy, more power to them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Hard to believe a break open single costs that much today. I remember my younger brother bought a brand new H&R 20 gauge for his first shotgun when he was in junior high for 39.95.

Their perfect comination of simplicity and effectiveness is just too much for some to bear. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The lure of their perfect comination of simplicity and effectiveness is just too much for some to bear. ๐Ÿ˜‰

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by killerv
Grew up deer hunting in a shotgun/bow only county. At 9, dad had me shooting a youth 20ga single with of course 3in 00 magnums. Plastic buttplate. That thing was brutal.

Pattern must have sucked, I was 9, had a doe and yearling start feeding under a crabapple tree at about 25/30 yards. Killed them both one shot. Deer career has been downhill ever since.

Good story! 00 buck is not a handicap under the right conditions. It's deadly on deer. I grew up hunting shotgun-only counties and we just accepted 00 was what it was and your deer had to be 40 yards or closer. In our jungles, that's not that hard. Most were that close and closer. I mainly use slugs now, but I still use 00 for deer. I call it my weekend load. Because I know on Fridays and Saturdays, the hunt clubs will be out running their hounds and many of the deer on those days are moving fast not paying terrible attention to what they are running towards, only what they are running from. I've had deer run by so close I could almost reach out and touch them. In thick cover, under those circumstances, 00 is the best deer round there is.
I've never heard of OO buckshot being loaded in a 20 gauge shell. I've only ever seen #3 buck loaded in the 2 3/4 inch shell and # 2 buck in the 3" shell.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Yoder409

The lure of their perfect comination of simplicity and effectiveness is just too much for some to bear. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Except for the simple minded....

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I donโ€™t see the allure that would lure me into buying a single shot either but Iโ€™m not going to cast stones if others do. I just prefer to have a backup shot. Different stokes for different folksโ€ฆ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grew up deer hunting in a shotgun/bow only county. At 9, dad had me shooting a youth 20ga single with of course 3in 00 magnums. Plastic buttplate. That thing was brutal.

Pattern must have sucked, I was 9, had a doe and yearling start feeding under a crabapple tree at about 25/30 yards. Killed them both one shot. Deer career has been downhill ever since.

Good story! 00 buck is not a handicap under the right conditions. It's deadly on deer. I grew up hunting shotgun-only counties and we just accepted 00 was what it was and your deer had to be 40 yards or closer. In our jungles, that's not that hard. Most were that close and closer. I mainly use slugs now, but I still use 00 for deer. I call it my weekend load. Because I know on Fridays and Saturdays, the hunt clubs will be out running their hounds and many of the deer on those days are moving fast not paying terrible attention to what they are running towards, only what they are running from. I've had deer run by so close I could almost reach out and touch them. In thick cover, under those circumstances, 00 is the best deer round there is.
I've never heard of OO buckshot being loaded in a 20 gauge shell. I've only ever seen #3 buck loaded in the 2 3/4 inch shell and # 2 buck in the 3" shell.

That could be. I've only used 12 gauges for deer. Just saying 00 is a superb deer killer under the right conditions.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Slugs werent allowed in our county. When the 3 1/2in craze hit, dad went and bought two mossberg 835s, we stacked deer up with those things. I remember he belly crawled up to a foodplot on a big 10 eating one morning, squeeze one off at 67 steps. He didn't go far. Biggest thing though with that 00, if they didn't drop, you needed to watch them fall. That buckshot would plug a hole and rarely got any blood trail.

The guy that developed hevishot lives right down the road from me, he'd bring us cases of free stuff in the early days. I actually have a box of some of his prototype hevi buckshot from 20 years ago or so he gave me to test out.

Last edited by killerv; 11/11/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
IL doesn't allow "00" Buck for deer, so I've never used it for that.

One of the reasons there's so many different things out there, is so that you can get/use just about whatever you'd like. Make it whatever you'd like, can afford, whatever. People that constantly say "I would never get that" or "I can't believe anyone would use/buy that" or "I don't use it so it must not be necessary" or even "you're stupid for using/buying that" are merely expressing their opinion in a place where NOGAF about their opinion! Seams being an A-Hole is in vogue now from the safety of their home sitting in front of a keyboard, as I am right now! Lol! I'm sure there's stuff that these people buy/use that I would think the same thing about and never give a second look. Difference is, I don't post my opinion about it in their thread/post.

I purchased this thing because it intrigued me, was, in my opinion, cheap enough (with what stuff costs nowadays) and it will be a nice addition to turkey hunting for a youth who otherwise wouldn't have something to use in the turkey woods.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dean Anderson
.....it will be a nice addition to turkey hunting for a youth who otherwise wouldn't have something to use in the turkey woods.

It will be a nice addition for a youth or for ANYONE.

I have a safe CHUCKED with dedicated turkey guns......from .410 bore to 10 gauge. Singles.......pumps......autos.......
So, I can use whatever tool I feel like every time I go out.

I have used my 20 gauge single for every bird since I set it up over 5 years ago (except for one fall bird using a "nostalgia" gun).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
TN was slug only (no buckshot) and it is impressive to watch a deer get hit and body slammed with one of those. First deer I ever killed was a gun was with a 12ga slug

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never had a "dedicated turkey gun". Never felt the slightest need. Spring or fall, gobbler or hen, mine have all died just fine after being blasted with a standard 26" - 30" barreled blued steel and walnut field gun with nothing more than beads for sights. Many with just a standard modified or full choke and field loads.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Again, it's all whatever you want to make of it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I won one at an NWTF banquet years ago and gave it to a little boy at the banquet boy he was excited

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're gonna LOVE that gun once you get it set up to kill turkeys.

I went that way about 5 springs ago. Now my SX2 and SX3 (and all the others) just sit. Your new toy is.......metal to metal.......the exact gun I started with in putting mine together.

At any reasonable turkey shooting distance, you'll never tell the difference between it and a 3 1/2" 12 gauge with lead shot.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Beautiful Turkey and SG there Yoder409.

I have never had the opportunity to hunt Turkeys, how do they taste?

Cheers ~

KB

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LFC
I won one at an NWTF banquet years ago and gave it to a little boy at the banquet boy he was excited

Perfect!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee

I went that way about 5 springs ago. Now my SX2 and SX3 (and all the others) just sit. Your new toy is.......metal to metal.......the exact gun I started with in putting mine together.

At any reasonable turkey shooting distance, you'll never tell the difference between it and a 3 1/2" 12 gauge with lead shot.

Cheers ~

They taste just like chicken. ๐Ÿ˜

Actually.......... They don't taste the same as a Butterball. But they were born to run and fly and eat bugs, berries and acorns. Butterballs were born to stand in a barn and eat turkey pellets. Wild turkey has its own taste. And that tastes like turkey. But, it IS a drier meat (less fat) and unless you address that when cooking it, you'll end up with something as moist as a mouthful of sawdust and tougher
than the sole of a workshoe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Cheers ~

They taste just like chicken. ๐Ÿ˜

Actually.......... They don't taste the same as a Butterball. But they were born to run and fly and eat bugs, berries and acorns. Butterballs were born to stand in a barn and eat turkey pellets. Wild turkey has its own taste. And that tastes like turkey. But, it IS a drier meat (less fat) and unless you address that when cooking it, you'll end up with something as moist as a mouthful of sawdust and tougher
than the sole of a workshoe.

Have you ever tried to Fondue the breast meat?

I do my Ruffed Grouse that way with a variety of dipping sauces, best way to cook and eat Ruffies!

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not.

Usually grill mine the day after they're killed. My brother does deep-fried strips.....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (bcraig, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,022 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,497
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.