Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This year was a rough one....

I ate tags for mountain caribou, wolf, elk, mule deer, dall sheep, moose and black bear. Some of them I put a LOT of time and effort into, others not so much. Passed some small spike deer, mountain caribou and such, so I guess I did have some opportunity. I did get a boar griz and just yesterday FINALLY found a caribou to shoot.

I still have an opportunity for archery bull moose in November, but it is not a real good hunt at all. More of depredation, edge of town kind of deal. Caribou too up north but at -20F or colder and very limited daylight, I don't plan to try real hard. I could also go hunt blacktail if I really wanted to go to the trouble and expense of getting to SE Alaska, but that is OK. I guess I will put twice the normal effort into lynx and wolverine trapping and ptarmigan hunting to make up for it.

I know a lot of people's seasons haven't started yet but for those whose have, anyone else find they zigged whenever the critters zagged this year?

GB1

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I ate a pronghorn tag, first time ever I didn’t fill a tag.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess its not been my best year either for hunting or drawing tags. Only had a 2nd choice mule deer tag in a not great unit - did see a tiny fork horn buck on the last day that I passed on.

Just got back from my elk hunt, snow/wind and ugly weather didn't help things along, seemed the elk around my little area didn't want to come out of the uber steep and nasty so tag soup on that one as well. Did see a bunch of cows but no bulls. Oh well, time to plan for next year.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Did ok on big game upland birds are a rough go for me this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caribou was a bust. Only saw one cow the whole time out. Bunch of real close sublegal bull moose running around that kept it interesting anyways. Rain, fog, thunderstorms, campsite flooded out, you name it. Tried to get out on the sound for a deer hunt before my buddy put his boat to bed. Small craft advisory or gale warning every week we had planned. Gonna head to Maine next month to see if I can get my boys a whitetail.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I ate a pronghorn doe tag, but I also never spent time hunting it. Was having too much fun elk hunting. Got a cow tag to fill next week.

In the real early stage of planning a 2023 snowcock hunt, any words of wisdom?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/30/22.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Too early in the season to say I had my azz kicked, no deer yet but I have only been out a few times. Got an Antelope in CO a little over a week ago.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I ate tags for mountain caribou, wolf, elk, mule deer, dall sheep, moose and black bear. Some of them I put a LOT of time and effort into, others not so much. Passed some small spike deer, mountain caribou and such, so I guess I did have some opportunity. I did get a boar griz and just yesterday FINALLY found a caribou to shoot.

I still have an opportunity for archery bull moose in November, but it is not a real good hunt at all. More of depredation, edge of town kind of deal. Caribou too up north but at -20F or colder and very limited daylight, I don't plan to try real hard. I could also go hunt blacktail if I really wanted to go to the trouble and expense of getting to SE Alaska, but that is OK. I guess I will put twice the normal effort into lynx and wolverine trapping and ptarmigan hunting to make up for it.

I know a lot of people's seasons haven't started yet but for those whose have, anyone else find they zigged whenever the critters zagged this year?

Holly mac T_Inman, what is your hunting budget annually lol! Good for you man, I love a success story!

That is a lot of heartbreak for 1 season!

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feel you man. My moose hunt that I’d planned and saved for turned to disaster at every opportunity and was a bust.
Ranch burned almost completely late this past summer and we didn’t ever get any rain in time to have it fuzz back over with any new growth so early elk was a bust and rifle deer isn’t looking too promising.

I’m headed to CO for 3rd rifle in a week and a half and haven’t decided if I want to pony up the $800 for a bull tag. We have pretty good success knowing the area so well but it’s still a pretty long odds deal.

On the other hand I have one archery deer in the freezer and my boy killed his first deer during the youth season so we have those in the plus column for this year. Looking at going up to Baby Sister’s place in SD to kill some roosters in December. And I have an archery hunt for deer and exotics that I drew in the TX coastal wildlife refuge come January so there’s hope yet.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I ate a pronghorn doe tag, but I also never spent time hunting it. Was having too much fun elk hunting. Got a cow tag to fill next week.

In the real early stage of planning a 2023 snowcock hunt, any words of wisdom?

I can PM you later about those.

I have been 5 times but never got one though I have seen and got longer shots each time. Knocked one sideways but it was over a 1000 foot cliff and I never could find a safe way down to look for it.

Good luck Kid and the rest of you!

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Bow season is a bust, acorns out the ass, probably first half of rifle season will be too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
T,yes, on the butt-kicking. It was hot and dry this fall so all the game was in the canyon bottoms by water. All the ridgetops I like to hunt were barren. Coupled with moonlight, it was really terrible for a couple weeks. Hiked many miles and glassed till my eyes bled. LOL

Finally we got rain and deer dispersed. Bears disappeared but deer hunting became doable.

LOL
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There were a few bucks killed here opening week, (lucky me) mostly on the highest peaks....then it got as tough as it's ever been. Forest Service station here where they validate tags said it's the slowest year they could remember. There was literal parade of horse trailers, camp trailers, atv trailers the last weekend...lot of tag soup this year in Siskiyou, Klamath, Shasta-Trinity.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Me, tho my hunting is far more limited than yours. 40-Mile caribou were elsewhere.

Outboards both went tits on both moose hunts.

I'll just consider it "conserving hunting ammo". smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Me, tho my hunting is far more limited than yours. 40-Mile caribou were elsewhere.

Outboards both went tits on both moose hunts.

I'll just consider it "conserving hunting ammo". smile

Get back up there for the winter hunt. A herd left a huge swath of tore up ground like a herd of bison a thousand strong in the alpine country between Eagle and 12 Mile summit yesterday. They’re up there right now.

I didn’t see the herd itself but found two lone bulls yesterday and knocked one down.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Worst deer season for me I didn't see a deer in 4 days of hunting. In area I have killed 15 bucks in the past. Hot and full moon didn't help. Oh well buddy has 2 family cow tags I can help with.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Been a giant grind like usual but it's been a good season here thus far TMan on the coues deer front. Crazy wet and crazy cover and the critters aren't moving out of a tiny, tiny little circle but have dig a few good ones out.

I think every locale has their unique challenges year to year but overall the bigger issue is there are more people that take hunting seriously every year IME...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just getting ready to go again. The next few months will tell the tale.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 10/30/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The elk mountain kicked my ass. Had to leave before it started. oh well....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That bull crossed the ranch for a reason I'd say.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GregW
I think every locale has their unique challenges year to year but overall the bigger issue is there are more people that take hunting seriously every year IME...

That my perception in Colorado and Utah, too..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry for those that didn't feel they had a good season..

Myself, at my age... If nothing else I enjoy the number of relaxing walks or the days I got to spend out with mother nature and enjoy the beauty of what Oregon's mountains can offer for scenery....

Still have until Friday.....its suppose to start raining tho tomorrow night...

a lot of people around here seem to love hunting in wet weather, because they can sneak up on the deer they think...

I'm more the fair weather type of hunter. I hate being in the rain... never minded being in the snow in Minnesota tho when I lived there for 15 years.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been out five times so far for half-days. Saw deer twice; made my first miss so far with a crossbow on a forkie (can it be said you “made” a miss?). Last time out was an afternoon sit in a new stand on the last day of early antlerless season. Had a volunteer in about 15 minutes. So I’m not skunked, and have punched my earn-a-buck ticket which means I can shoot anything for which I have a tag for the rest of the season instead of watching them walk.

All this on a small parcel of public land 15-20 minutes from home…. Can’t complain.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
here in Minnesota weather has been very nice and kinda warm yet , hoping it cools down soon .deer opener for rifle is next Saturday Nov. 5th hoping grandson who is 10 yrs. old gets a decent whitetail and hopefully its the big 8-point that has been hanging around . tagged one archery big doe and she is tasty ! shot a decent buck antelope in Wyoming with my 257 Weatherby. good luck and be safe,Pete53 P.S. >its early yet the best part of the hunting season is coming yet for many of us , some of the biggest bucks i have shot were late in the cold archery season of December the last week.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am working on a good ass kicking. See at the end of the week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Sorry for those that didn't feel they had a good season..

Myself, at my age... If nothing else I enjoy the number of relaxing walks or the days I got to spend out with mother nature and enjoy the beauty of what Oregon's mountains can offer for scenery....

Still have until Friday.....its suppose to start raining tho tomorrow night...

a lot of people around here seem to love hunting in wet weather, because they can sneak up on the deer they think...

I'm more the fair weather type of hunter. I hate being in the rain... never minded being in the snow in Minnesota tho when I lived there for 15 years.

Hunting in the rain sucks the big one!

Not only is it super uncomfortable, but from what I have seen in Northern Canada, is that when it rains, animals hunker down. Apparently they do not enjoy getting soaked either lol Snow is a different story, nice to see their fresh "Puddy Prints" :o)

Best of luck this week Seafire!

Cheers ~

KB

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Week started good. 130gr 6.5 Gamechanger made a mess. Reminiscent of the early sst’s

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mtn caribou? In Alaska?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah but the plains elk treated you well!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing thus far. Going late season cow elk and pheasants. It happens...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bow deer has been bad for the most part, not seeing many deer, and few on trail cam. Rifle opens in 2 weeks,. Time will tell.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Mtn caribou? In Alaska?

Yukon.
Guided.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Mtn caribou? In Alaska?

Yukon.
Guided.

Oh... I thought you had a top secret spot. I have a bike, 30-30 with 2 shells I can travel.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Mtn caribou? In Alaska?

Yukon.
Guided.

Oh... I thought you had a top secret spot. I have a bike, 30-30 with 2 shells I can travel.

The Fox transfer station has a half wore out Sally blow up doll right now, but she still has some life left. I just prefer to change them out often, much like my shiit stained panties.

Travel on up on that bike with that .30 and call dibs. She'll be waiting for ya.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Mtn caribou? In Alaska?

Yukon.
Guided.

The Fox transfer station has a half wore out Sally blow up doll right now, but she still has some life left. I just prefer to change them out often, much like my shiit stained panties.

Travel on up on that bike with that .30 and call dibs. She'll be waiting for ya.

Gees that sounds like a pretty hostile comment towards Nugget?? Far as blow up dolls I find those all the time, they are actually great scare crows chasing off the birds from my little garden I grow in the summer here at the dump. I hear you on chit stained undies all I can afford is 1x ply toilet paper.

Last edited by 79S; 10/31/22.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hostile towards the Nugget?
No way. Just relaying to a brother where to find some lightly used nookie.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hostile towards the Nugget?
No way. Just relaying to a brother where to find some lightly used nookie.

I'm thinking about, Trying to find my boat anchor with a rope on it so I can latch onto a semi headed north.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did.
I struggled to stay motivated.
I was in good enough shape, but the hunting drive just wasn't there.
I've got a lot of personal things going on that kept my mind out of the hunt.
I'll try to redeem myself next year.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hang in there,

LOL
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I ate my SE NM muzzleloader mule deer tag. I still have AZ Coues next month and a late January Barbary. Hopefully this streak ends.

Last edited by ggarcia85; 10/31/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hate to hear that some folks are having a tough year.

Life is good live it while you can.
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I did.
I struggled to stay motivated.
I was in good enough shape, but the hunting drive just wasn't there.
I've got a lot of personal things going on that kept my mind out of the hunt.
I'll try to redeem myself next year.

Bummer.
Keep your chin up.

I still had a lot of fun though I am not used to eating so many tags. No biggie though it does motivate me to try harder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hunted Mule Deer in Wyoming from the high country on horse back, to the lower Aspen/Sage country. Very poor deer hunting. Elk hunting was exceptional however. Killed a bull five minutes into opening day. And saw elk everywhere. Didn’t draw an antelope tag unfortunately.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Spent all spare time in all of Sept and half of Oct on the roof of a barn...everyone told me "you'll be in great shape to hunt"...uh, no. Too much going on to stay strong. So I'll be going into the Frank next week with four ungulate tags and a couple of young teenagers; I plan on a thorough kicking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killed a cow elk with 2 days left in the archery season. Plenty of elk, but tough stalking conditions - hot and dry. I also spent 1/2 of the season helping my son and his friend who drew premier tags fill theirs. Deer hunting: saw lots of deer ~60 in 1 1/2days of hunting a dozen or so small 2 or 3 points but nothing exciting. Was going to return for the last few days hoping the weather would cool but had a heart attack and spent the last few days in the hospital. Recovering well and may go on a late archery hunt for mule deer. Overall game numbers seemed about average to maybe a little better where I hunt.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tough draw year for me so have spent most of the season (early and general) hunting for/with friends and family and packing meat. Can’t complain though…been in on antelope, bighorn (ewe), deer and elk (just packing) so far.

Hunted one full day by myself in an area we saw lots of game and no people last season. Complete reversal this season. Have some plan B and C spots but sucks when plan A is a total bust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just finished a big burger made from my “volunteer” doe. 👍🏻

Got lots more tags, but might go fishing for a while. Wifey cleans our fish, and they’re pretty easy to “drag” out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Killed a cow elk with 2 days left in the archery season. Plenty of elk, but tough stalking conditions - hot and dry. I also spent 1/2 of the season helping my son and his friend who drew premier tags fill theirs. Deer hunting: saw lots of deer ~60 in 1 1/2days of hunting a dozen or so small 2 or 3 points but nothing exciting. Was going to return for the last few days hoping the weather would cool but had a heart attack and spent the last few days in the hospital. Recovering well and may go on a late archery hunt for mule deer. Overall game numbers seemed about average to maybe a little better where I hunt.

Ha! You talk about that heart attack like it was a flat tire.

Way to go.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Too hot and dry on the PNW for deer this year. Most of my friends didn't have much luck. And then the smoke was bad, and then it rained.

Last edited by Spring1898; 11/01/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sitting in my tent in CO, elk are winning. Every year I say I'm never hunting CO second elk season again. Might actually mean it this year. Covered alot of miles so far and not many elk. Been in the 50s every day since Sat. Elk are here but moving first/last light and not moving far. I've heard less than half dozen shots this week. Been tough sledding but I knew that in this unit. Still beats the heck out of working.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
This years gone well up to this point but so far ive only hunted bear this year. In a week here ill start hunting lions, do that through november, then if theres not a prohibitive amount of snow ill head to idaho in early december after lions and wolves. Not going to bother with deer this year. Good chance ill get skunked on both cats and dogs. Both low odds hunts.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mule deer ML hunt kicked my ass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Way to go.

Damn right!!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We've gotten snow early this year. I'm heading up tomorrow to see if the bears are heading uphill to den yet. Since deer tag is filled and elk isn't open yet it's bear and cougar. Either one will do but not anxious to shoot anything, Freezers are full.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At 2:00 today, season turned around grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not hunting this year, I had back surgery. My Lumbar is now all fused together, including my SI joints.

Looking forward to better health. I'm 6 weeks post-surgery and feeling better. Hopefully I can get in an easy spring bear hunt.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No deer here, blew out my knee two days before leaving for deer camp. Tried to hunt, couldn't climb down the hills, going up hurt. Coming down really hurt. Feeling a little better and will try elk on the fifth. Then get a new knee come January, or so the schedule is at this point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck and hang in there! I'd be curious how new knees work out for elk hunting. Good luck on your hunts and upcoming surgery. Keep us posted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can no longer hike without the aid of trekking poles. I can ascend easy enough but must allow 4x the time for descent.
Muzzle loader season here was uncomfortably hot.
During 2nd combined season I've been glassing a buck on the properties below me but there is little reason for him to come up higher to where I can legally take him.
I had a herd of elk pass through my decoys while duck hunting. That was pretty cool.
3rd season OTC bull will be long odds even if I wasn't mobility impaired.
I'm cancelled Oklahoma deer so I can travel with my dad instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mature whitetails won round one. Several rounds to go though. Its been a good year though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We've gotten snow early this year. I'm heading up tomorrow to see if the bears are heading uphill to den yet. Since deer tag is filled and elk isn't open yet it's bear and cougar. Either one will do but not anxious to shoot anything, Freezers are full.

Tracked this guy to his denning area and tried calling him in, no bueno.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Litterly here. Back in July, I had a health problem and had to turn my elk tag in.I I kept a deer tag out in eastern Colorado north of Burlington.

Last Wednesday I was feeling pretty good, so I drove out 130 miles and 2000 feet lower in elevation. I had an invite to stay in a buddy's camp trailer he keeps parked on his BIL's land.

Saturday morning, my mind was saying "you can do this" . By Sunday afternoon, my body was saying "What the hell are you doing out here". I came home Monday morning, not doing well. I saw one buck, then a doe and a fawn Sunday out of the corn they were combining.

Not doing much this week.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Litterly here. Back in July, I had a health problem and had to turn my elk tag in.I I kept a deer tag out in eastern Colorado north of Burlington.

Last Wednesday I was feeling pretty good, so I drove out 130 miles and 2000 feet lower in elevation. I had an invite to stay in a buddy's camp trailer he keeps parked on his BIL's land.

Saturday morning, my mind was saying "you can do this" . By Sunday afternoon, my body was saying "What the hell are you doing out here". I came home Monday morning, not doing well. I saw one buck, then a doe and a fawn Sunday out of the corn they were combining.

Not doing much this week.

Hope you feel better soon.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saddlesore, Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I hunted up there also and deer numbers are as low as I have seen. I've hunted it since 1996. So I don't think you missed much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Way to go.

My second - ain't braggin..........but, I may be on limited time so I plan on making the most of it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey T, sorry to hear about your luck this year. So far my season has been productive and will hopefully continue to be so. Since misery loves company, unless I decide to change my ways and become a poacher, I too will definitely NOT get a caribou, wolf, dall sheep or moose this year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Got ass kicked in sheep and moose hunts. Did manage to knock down a couple caribou.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Bow season is a bust, acorns out the ass, probably first half of rifle season will be too

Wish I had a bunch of those acorns to scatter on my hunting area. The crop was a bust here. Only place I heard any dropping was right next to the parking lot, about 150’ lower than the ridge I hunt when they’re good. The buck I whiffed with my crossbow was eating (I think) the tops of the wild sunflowers that grow in a meadow I sit over. He was really working them over.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mine was kicked a good deal off and on by gout. Jammed my tie joint in an injury and it irritated my gout. Still managed to get out some behind the house. Ran into a large herd of cows , few deer and this year lots of cats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday I was diagnosed with tricompartmental osteoarthritis (fancy name for real bad knees) and referred for spine surgery which is causing pain in many other places in my lower body.
I have very little chance of getting anywhere near a public land bull during 3rd season next week.
... BUT 2 years ago I had a checkmate shot, 40 yards, on a nice bull on Wyoming public land and I was just as crippled then as I am now. Unfortunately I was holding a cow tag.

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/10/22.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looking for a recipe for a cow elk tag myself!

Perhaps Mrs. Mule Deer could include a chapter on tag prep?

Had fun and learned stuff so not so bad, all in all.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Just getting ready to go again. The next few months will tell the tale.

Waterfowl were tough in Nodak. Don't go there to play with skittish birds. Oh well, it wasnt without some success.

As I left Nodak, headed to Montana. Weather got cold and snow came hard. Visibility was garbage. Only saw 2 legal bulls on public in 6 days. Both escaped as I was making a play. Saw a bunch of cows and spikes. Ate a deer tag too. Hardly saw a buck worth shooting. Wolf tag also came home with me, but that's not unusual.

I can't complain. Coulda been working and still have some elk meat in the freezer from last year.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 11/13/22.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
T Inman: Good luck on that archery Moose Hunt.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Had hernia surgery Oct. 20, no heavy lifting, dragging, especially dragging or lifting deer for 4 to 6 months. Missed most of muzzleloader season in N.C and western Va. already, and rifle season until first of Dec. First time in fifty years I've not hunted the first week of the season. Bucks chasing does everywhere and I'm sitting at home. That a kick in the ass!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My Colorado elk hunt thoroughly kicked my azz. It brought me to the realization that I am too old, fat, and wore out for such. My knees are shot and it took me twice as long going uphill and four times as long going downhill. I did manage to get a 5x5 bull in one of my favorite spots. The deer kicked my azz by their lack of presence. In 8 days I didn’t see one buck that I would shoot at. A couple of guys shot bucks that I was thinking “really?” While telling them “nice buck”. I had a scrawny racked 3x3 walk right up close begging me to shoot him, but I declined.
In summary, I’ve got a long overdue orthopedic appointment Nov 30. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If not even going out means, “getting your @$$ kicked”……we qualify! Got a “left over” license in a very bad area. I now know why there were left overs! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Tag soup for me this past elk hunt. Just could not connect with a cow. Had more than ample opportunities for a nice bull. Just no tag. Plan for next year! 👍

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Daughter and I just got back form 8 days in the Bear Lodge Mountains in the WY Black Hills. The weather really kicked our butts. 10 inches of snow, real high winds and temps as low as 8 below made for a real tough hunt. Spent way too much time on firewood for the wood stove.
Game and fish need to take a real serious look at the tag numbers next year for region A. Two consecutive years of EHD has really cut the herd. Know of only three deer taken in that area. Saw three bucks and one of those was running across the road after dark.

Tag soup for us but still enjoyed the time. It was daughters first ever deer hunt and she learned a lot!

Thanks to the guys here that helped me out with 257 bullets. Without the help it would have been difficult. It was really appreciated guys!

Bill

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This has been a terrible year for us. Rain kept us out of our elk area at the beginning of the season and our trailer developed a gas leak so couldn't turn the heat on which led to the water freezing the next week and just this last Sunday I slid off a mountain road and got stuck in a drift. Broke the brake line and the 4WD getting out and had a pucker factor 7 drive out of the mountains with no brakes. 1 whitetail doe is all we have to show for it. I wonder if God is trying to tell me something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The weather and the deer kicked me and my buddy’s ass on state forest land in NY for the last 5 days. Came home empty handed but enjoyed the time hunting anyway. I did finally see a legal buck(about 5 to 6” spikes)yesterday. He harassed a little yearling doe past me at about 25 yards, grunting and nose licking the whole way. She was having none of it. Had the scope on him and grinned, telling them both they don’t know how lucky they are today. Then I thought…just like typical teenagers…he’s got the pedal down, and she’s braking for all she’s worth! Better luck next year!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was afraid I was going to have to add my name to the list for tag soup recipes, but was fortunate to see this guy today. Still, no bear or elk so those tags get boiled up. So I am in the club. smile Wolf season still has me hoping

First blood with this rifle, and first game with this knife.

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Me, nothing but tag soup for this old hunter. Have had bronchitis for nearly 4 weeks now and have not had a chance to hunt. Can’t breath well, so not hunting. Hope to pheasant hunt soon. I hope. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Archery Season wasn't productive for me but Rifle season I took a nice big body 8 point. A week later I caught an even bigger bruiser on one of my cams, I'll call him a 7 point as he had an eighth point that was broken almost completely smooth off, his rack was a good bit bigger than my 8 point.

Steve..........

Last edited by se3388; 11/25/22.

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
[quote=TimberRunner]

I can't complain. Coulda been working and still have some elk meat in the freezer from last year.

That right there is an artistic picture!

Last edited by las; 11/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff, congrats.

Bears kicked my ass this year as well.

Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I was afraid I was going to have to add my name to the list for tag soup recipes, but was fortunate to see this guy today. Still, no bear or elk so those tags get boiled up. So I am in the club. smile Wolf season still has me hoping

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same here, Bow was a bust for me! But did get a nice 8pt. On the rifle opener, still hoping for a doe tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
As far for me personally it's a bust,but 2 of the boys scored WT,1 with archery and 1 rifle.
So meat wise we're good,anything for me will be a bonus.
Still have a couple weeks of firearms season then a week of ML.

Last edited by rong; 11/26/22.
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Good deal.

NW Montana?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Good stuff, congrats.

Bears kicked my ass this year as well.

Thanks man! Fugking bears anyways haha. Had a big cinnamon and a nice blackie here close and convenient until season started smile

Good deal.

NW Montana?

yup, 3/4 mile behind my house on NF ground. Lots of basket racks and a couple really nice bucks on camera, but this poor bastard drew the short straw and decided to take one for the team I guess.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of basket racks and a couple really nice bucks on camera, but this poor bastard drew the short straw and decided to take one for the team I guess.

laugh laugh

Nice buck, man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I managed to luck into a nice fat 1x3 on our opening morning. A South wind put me in my oldest stand, which is in some really thick stuff looking over some escape routes. Just after 9, I saw one coming in straight at me, looking this way and that like he was looking for a rock to crawl under. He stopped about 50 yards out facing directly at me and I put a 165gr AB right where his neck joined his chest. He turned 90 degrees and flopped. Almost positive he’s the one I whiffed with my crossbow and also the one I saw out at about 150 the last time I hunted with that a week before. I’m in recovery from the drag now. Not sure when or if I go back for more. Wifey “suggests” not. Two is enough meat for certain, but I don’t feel like I’ve done quite enough hunting just yet. I have an old Renegade I picked up last Spring. Might get that ready for ML next month.

Learned some time ago that you can’t bank deer on public land. If you see one, better get it. Like the man said, if you’d shoot him on the last day, better shoot him on the first.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I did OK this year, still have a few hunts left. Seems like I did a lot of hunting, but in relation to other years, not really.

Wyoming moose:

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Montana whitetail:

Wyoming whitetail:

Two Wyoming elk:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buzz, I think you had a pretty good year.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Gruff, what caliber rifle is that. Very sharp.

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Struck out on a 10 day solo AK moose hunt. Weather was horrible, warm with constant rain combined with dense fog. Still hunting WT local.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Gruff, what caliber rifle is that. Very sharp.

Thanks man. 06. Slinging 200 gr partitions. My new favoritest rifle I got. smile

MAGA
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fired 2 shots. Buck pronghorn and doe whitetail are in the freezer. Decent season for me and deer is still open until the first weekend in Jan so I may add one more deer to the total but am content if I don't.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Took a doe during muzzle loader season. Killed a big 8 point about 10 days ago. Freezer is full. Wife is happy. My season is done except for maybe some squirrel and waterfowl hunting.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think I'd like to live in Wyoming!
NH was very slow hunting for whitetails, until all of a sudden it wasn't.
Maine was a bust for birds and deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far I've not pulled the trigger on a deer. I've passed on 6 bucks so far. Last Spring though was a let down. First turkey season since 2009, that I didn't get a bird.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't see any bucks that were worth shooting, but I tagged 4 whitetail does. 3 that I gave to Hunters Helping the Hungry and 1 that I gave to a friend.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Northern Maine kicked mine this year. First time in many.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've gotten a big old ass whoopin so far this deer season. I sat all 7 days of the regular firearm season and saw a grand total of ONE doe, way too far for a shot. ML season opens tomorrow and I am not particularly hopeful.

This is really open area, and a LOT of the treelines we had dotting the place have been torn out over the past decade as land blocks have been consolidated. The deer hunting has really taken a downturn as a result. If you aren't hunting near a river or creek bottom treebreak, the odds of seeing deer have greatly diminished around here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My lower back kicked my ass this year.

I'll typically put 70 hours in a tree with my bow in a 6 day week during the rut for 2-3 weeks straight. THAT didn't happen.

Don't really care much at all to hunt with a centerfire. But tried it. Can't sit a blind more than a couple hours before I gotta get up and move.......

Hopefully I can get out and spend a little time with my second love............my flintlock.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very quiet, on the home property, this year !

Hunted 13 days so far, some days 2-3 hours, most 6-7 hours.

Total opportunities; 1 fork horn buck, 1 button buck that woulda won the dinkathon, 3 does & 1 fawn.

Trigger finger getting itchy !

Only this weekend to go, as season closes Thursday the 15th.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Very quiet, on the home property, this year !

Hunted 13 days so far, some days 2-3 hours, most 6-7 hours.

Total opportunities; 1 fork horn buck, 1 button buck that woulda won the dinkathon, 3 does & 1 fawn.

Trigger finger getting itchy !

Only this weekend to go, as season closes Thursday the 15th.

I want pics dude!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got lucky for a change, shot a B&C Woodland Caribou (getting officially scored soon) in New Foundland and a 30" moose. Shot an average 9 pointer in Texas and didn't see a deer in New Jersey for the second year in a row.

I'm sitting here with two sprained ankles (one was from last year and still not healed) and bursitis in my left hip, cortisone shot didn't work.
Four months of quail season left, I think it's going to be a painful quail season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Officially arse whipped Ted !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not me personally as my standards have diminished some hunting the National Forest, but the neighbor up north and his crew went out west for deer and elk this fall, got totally weathered out and spent the entire week in the hotel.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think the whitetail rapture has occurred. Most of the bucks have disappeared since the first of November around here.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Got this weekend to go with ML,on a mission for meat.
We always pass up doe during our regular season,and it bites us in the tookus.
Now it's the 9th inning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got whupped on elk, then got pneumonia and was grateful for a ten minute road hunt in my grandson's pick-up to shoot a doe.

I drew what we thought would be a superb elk permit, that turned out so bad it is still puzzling. We have concluded that it is not all that great a permit. I ignored a barely legal 3 point bull 7 minutes into opening morning and never saw another bull, and only two more elk, in the rest of the five day season. Two excellent elk hunters were roaming far and wide looking for an elk for me. Nada. In my permit area, no elk and almost no tracks even. They were someplace else. I came down with pneumonia the day after elk season.

After three weeks of pneumonia, coughing up lots of blood the first week, I was still exhausted and sick, but remembered one day while half dozing that I had drawn a codger doe permit. My grandson asked if I was up to riding in his pick-up to look for a doe along the road. He and his son, my oldest great grandson at age 4, picked me up. About ten minutes drive up the first logging road a blacktail doe stepped into the road ahead. I stepped out, killed the doe, became an instant hero to my 4 year old great grandson, then let my grandson do all the work.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/17/22. Reason: smooth
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't chase things with antlers, so my season has gone well. Three white-tailed does, two mulie does and a cow elk. One deer left to harvest in January.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my ass kicked half way this year. Didn't see a buck I wanted to squeeze the trigger on, so I took 2 does for the freezer as a consolation prize......

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I killed this year was a coyote.

Had opportunities on some deer, but nothing that met my criteria.

Never saw a pig or a bear...

Truth be told, I probably only got about 40 actual hours of hunting in this past season.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

194 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 35, 22 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.