Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This year was a rough one....

I ate tags for mountain caribou, wolf, elk, mule deer, dall sheep, moose and black bear. Some of them I put a LOT of time and effort into, others not so much. Passed some small spike deer, mountain caribou and such, so I guess I did have some opportunity. I did get a boar griz and just yesterday FINALLY found a caribou to shoot.

I still have an opportunity for archery bull moose in November, but it is not a real good hunt at all. More of depredation, edge of town kind of deal. Caribou too up north but at -20F or colder and very limited daylight, I don't plan to try real hard. I could also go hunt blacktail if I really wanted to go to the trouble and expense of getting to SE Alaska, but that is OK. I guess I will put twice the normal effort into lynx and wolverine trapping and ptarmigan hunting to make up for it.

I know a lot of people's seasons haven't started yet but for those whose have, anyone else find they zigged whenever the critters zagged this year?

BP-B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I ate a pronghorn tag, first time ever I didn’t fill a tag.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess its not been my best year either for hunting or drawing tags. Only had a 2nd choice mule deer tag in a not great unit - did see a tiny fork horn buck on the last day that I passed on.

Just got back from my elk hunt, snow/wind and ugly weather didn't help things along, seemed the elk around my little area didn't want to come out of the uber steep and nasty so tag soup on that one as well. Did see a bunch of cows but no bulls. Oh well, time to plan for next year.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Did ok on big game upland birds are a rough go for me this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caribou was a bust. Only saw one cow the whole time out. Bunch of real close sublegal bull moose running around that kept it interesting anyways. Rain, fog, thunderstorms, campsite flooded out, you name it. Tried to get out on the sound for a deer hunt before my buddy put his boat to bed. Small craft advisory or gale warning every week we had planned. Gonna head to Maine next month to see if I can get my boys a whitetail.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I ate a pronghorn doe tag, but I also never spent time hunting it. Was having too much fun elk hunting. Got a cow tag to fill next week.

In the real early stage of planning a 2023 snowcock hunt, any words of wisdom?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/30/22.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Too early in the season to say I had my azz kicked, no deer yet but I have only been out a few times. Got an Antelope in CO a little over a week ago.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
This year was a rough one....

I ate tags for mountain caribou, wolf, elk, mule deer, dall sheep, moose and black bear. Some of them I put a LOT of time and effort into, others not so much. Passed some small spike deer, mountain caribou and such, so I guess I did have some opportunity. I did get a boar griz and just yesterday FINALLY found a caribou to shoot.

I still have an opportunity for archery bull moose in November, but it is not a real good hunt at all. More of depredation, edge of town kind of deal. Caribou too up north but at -20F or colder and very limited daylight, I don't plan to try real hard. I could also go hunt blacktail if I really wanted to go to the trouble and expense of getting to SE Alaska, but that is OK. I guess I will put twice the normal effort into lynx and wolverine trapping and ptarmigan hunting to make up for it.

I know a lot of people's seasons haven't started yet but for those whose have, anyone else find they zigged whenever the critters zagged this year?

Holly mac T_Inman, what is your hunting budget annually lol! Good for you man, I love a success story!

That is a lot of heartbreak for 1 season!

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feel you man. My moose hunt that I’d planned and saved for turned to disaster at every opportunity and was a bust.
Ranch burned almost completely late this past summer and we didn’t ever get any rain in time to have it fuzz back over with any new growth so early elk was a bust and rifle deer isn’t looking too promising.

I’m headed to CO for 3rd rifle in a week and a half and haven’t decided if I want to pony up the $800 for a bull tag. We have pretty good success knowing the area so well but it’s still a pretty long odds deal.

On the other hand I have one archery deer in the freezer and my boy killed his first deer during the youth season so we have those in the plus column for this year. Looking at going up to Baby Sister’s place in SD to kill some roosters in December. And I have an archery hunt for deer and exotics that I drew in the TX coastal wildlife refuge come January so there’s hope yet.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I ate a pronghorn doe tag, but I also never spent time hunting it. Was having too much fun elk hunting. Got a cow tag to fill next week.

In the real early stage of planning a 2023 snowcock hunt, any words of wisdom?

I can PM you later about those.

I have been 5 times but never got one though I have seen and got longer shots each time. Knocked one sideways but it was over a 1000 foot cliff and I never could find a safe way down to look for it.

Good luck Kid and the rest of you!

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Bow season is a bust, acorns out the ass, probably first half of rifle season will be too

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
T,yes, on the butt-kicking. It was hot and dry this fall so all the game was in the canyon bottoms by water. All the ridgetops I like to hunt were barren. Coupled with moonlight, it was really terrible for a couple weeks. Hiked many miles and glassed till my eyes bled. LOL

Finally we got rain and deer dispersed. Bears disappeared but deer hunting became doable.

LOL
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
There were a few bucks killed here opening week, (lucky me) mostly on the highest peaks....then it got as tough as it's ever been. Forest Service station here where they validate tags said it's the slowest year they could remember. There was literal parade of horse trailers, camp trailers, atv trailers the last weekend...lot of tag soup this year in Siskiyou, Klamath, Shasta-Trinity.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Me, tho my hunting is far more limited than yours. 40-Mile caribou were elsewhere.

Outboards both went tits on both moose hunts.

I'll just consider it "conserving hunting ammo". smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Me, tho my hunting is far more limited than yours. 40-Mile caribou were elsewhere.

Outboards both went tits on both moose hunts.

I'll just consider it "conserving hunting ammo". smile

Get back up there for the winter hunt. A herd left a huge swath of tore up ground like a herd of bison a thousand strong in the alpine country between Eagle and 12 Mile summit yesterday. They’re up there right now.

I didn’t see the herd itself but found two lone bulls yesterday and knocked one down.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Worst deer season for me I didn't see a deer in 4 days of hunting. In area I have killed 15 bucks in the past. Hot and full moon didn't help. Oh well buddy has 2 family cow tags I can help with.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Been a giant grind like usual but it's been a good season here thus far TMan on the coues deer front. Crazy wet and crazy cover and the critters aren't moving out of a tiny, tiny little circle but have dig a few good ones out.

I think every locale has their unique challenges year to year but overall the bigger issue is there are more people that take hunting seriously every year IME...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just getting ready to go again. The next few months will tell the tale.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 10/30/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The elk mountain kicked my ass. Had to leave before it started. oh well....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That bull crossed the ranch for a reason I'd say.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.