Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Launcher of big lumps of properly shaped soft plumber's lead at mach .9. It'll punch six nickel sized holes plumb through a fat man.

If the fat man has his Adreline mojo in gear, he might fug you up anyway. But if that's the case, nothing you can hold in one hand is going to fix it,....maybe a baseball bat,....I dunno.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
38 special has been around for over 100 years and has been primary arm of law enforcement for a century. We used it in the 1980's shooting +P ammo in law enforcement and it did the job. Just like anything else shot placement is the key. So yes 38 Special is an excellent home defense caliber. They key with any caliber is practice.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My 38 Special is a S&W 586 so chambered. I picked it up years ago, new, for a very good price at a Jumbo Sports. I mostly shoot mild fun loads in it, and in this revolver "standard +P" (if that makes sense) still fit into that category. I used to shoot a lot of the 90's vintage Hornady swaged SWC HP bullets. One of those in the center of the chest probably wouldn't do a perp much good. grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Distridr
Bill Jordan wrote that it's the most powerful round that the average man can master.

And that was back when the average man was way more manly than today.

It wasn't all that long ago when most people simply did not have the large amount of disposable income that so many do today. They simply could not afford to shoot ANYWHERE NEAR as much as many people do today. Many people could not, and did not, practice shooting all that much, even if they wanted to, and it takes practice to get used to heavier recoiling guns.

This is why it was common to describe the kick of a .45acp as being "like a mule!" .357 magnum was considered brutal (hey, it still ain't all that pleasant...). Gun people today do a LOT more shooting, and get used to much more powerful guns.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I casted up a bunch of 148g tl Lee soup cans that I'm getting ready to load up. I'd like to find a load that will get me 850 from a 1&7/8 lcr and 360pd without pushing the pressure up too high. Any ideas what powders will do that. I'll probably start with 5g of universal.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I casted up a bunch of 148g tl Lee soup cans that I'm getting ready to load up. I'd like to find a load that will get me 850 from a 1&7/8 lcr and 360pd without pushing the pressure up too high. Any ideas what powders will do that. I'll probably start with 5g of universal.

Bb

I just got some Ramshot Silhouette powder (haven't done anything with it yet) that is supposed to give good velocities with pretty low pressure (within a certain window), and looks to be just right for .38 Special. Might want to take a look at it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
craigster: YOU.... being the "expert" I will advise (NO promise!) YOU that YOU do NOT want ME shooting at YOU with any of my 38 Special revolvers!
PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I tell people to get a Ruger .380 for home protection. It might not kill them outright but it's small and easy to point in a rush. They'll know they entered the wrong house.

I come from a different school of thought. I keep 12 gauge pumps with extended magazines around. Magazine loaded, chamber empty, safety off and dry fired. All I need to do is stroke the slide once and I am ready to go to work. Everyone knows that sound so that is the "warning shot". Middle of the night, dark, no glasses (likely slightly intoxicated) A 12 gauge is my "go to", not a handgun.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 160user
I tell people to get a Ruger .380 for home protection. It might not kill them outright but it's small and easy to point in a rush. They'll know they entered the wrong house.

I come from a different school of thought. I keep 12 gauge pumps with extended magazines around. Magazine loaded, chamber empty, safety off and dry fired. All I need to do is stroke the slide once and I am ready to go to work. Everyone knows that sound so that is the "warning shot". Middle of the night, dark, no glasses (likely slightly intoxicated) A 12 gauge is my "go to", not a handgun.

Agree with 160 here.

There is no reason to deliberately handicap yourself by intentionally choosing a marginal cartridge/platform over something that would be considered optimal. A person generally does not get to choose the circumstances of a lethal force incident, but in the context of home protection, as stated above, I would choose a shotgun or rifle/carbine over a handgun. If the long gun was not an option I would choose a semi auto handgun with a significant on board capacity that allowed me to deal with situations and not worry about reloading initially, as my hands may be occupied doing other tasks.

Ive investigated a fair number of shootings. One thing I have noted is that in the distances where most fights take place, people who get hit with shotguns and rifles, I end up examining those people at an autopsy. People shot with handguns usually go to the hospital. A good part of that reason is that many of the people who get shot with handguns get shot with cheap FMJ type ammunition and their wounds are less than impressive. Many get treated and released withing hours. People who get shot with other types of ammo, often do not do as well.

Shotguns, when loaded with traditional buck and slug, simply are devastating. Same can be said for some heavy field loads. One case I worked was a triple. A double murder, then suicide where the scumbag used a shotgun. He shot the mom and young daughter with goose loads at less than 10 feet, before he put the barrel under his chin and painted the ceiling and surrounding area with bone, brain and blood matter.

Long story short. Shotguns at very close range are completely devastating.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

These are mostly for fun, taking the wife, daughter, grandkids out to the desert tomorrow morning. They have their place...

but in the house it gets serious...

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
craigster: YOU.... being the "expert" I will advise (NO promise!) YOU that YOU do NOT want ME shooting at YOU with any of my 38 Special revolvers!
PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never said I was an expert. But judging from your self proclamation, you must be. Am I supposed to be impressed ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

For all these /\ /\ /\ reasons, I chose the 20GA.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Joseywales

For all these /\ /\ /\ reasons, I chose the 20GA.
Youth Model Mossberg. Short barrel, short stock, 6 rounds 2 3/4” #3 Buck. No doubt in my mind about across a room damage.

Not to say handguns aren’t available.

Last edited by shootem; 10/30/22.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hunt deer with a 9mm Glock 17. No pig or deer I"ve shot at has ever gone more than 30 or 40 steps..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It depends on how determined a defender the particular member of the band happens to be.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bullet style and type will play a factor. There will be a large difference between a round nose lead slug and Hydra-Shok or XTP.

I fall into this school of thought...

being a high level trained military corpsman, and trained to treat all sorts of wounds on the battle field...

its easily to learn, that just by reverse engineering a wound in your head.... you can figure out shot placement location and what kind of bullet to use.
easy to do if you are taught about A & P....

I like XTPs... a LOT... if disabling the attacker is what you need to do to defend yourself or your family and loved ones.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope so, I have one by the door and one in the nightstand

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thousands would tell you “yes, it’s effective”, but they be dead.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jim Cirrillo was a NYPD stakeout squad cop back in the 60s. Was involved in more than 250 shootouts and survived, killed more people than any other cop.

His main weapon was a Smith Model 10, 38 Special. Not sure what loads but back then issue ammo was pretty anemic. I think he rolled his own but not sure.

"an armed society is a polite society"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
[quote=Potsy]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

are Polymer coated 158 grain SWCs.

Inserting shameless link here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17745764#Post17745764

It turns the 4" K Frame .38 Combate Masterpiece into a whole other animal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Are the 158 polymer coated bullets homemade or factory stuff?

Elmer Keith
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.