Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
What's the latest and greatest, I'm not looking to spend a ton, my erblestock is starting to get warn out and it's about time to replace it. I don't do a ton of actual backpack hunting 5 or 6 mile day trips. Possibly a elk hunt in the next year or so but for the most part it's tramping around the Adirondacks. I need enough space for base layers. Lunch water and odds and ends

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't know what the latest/greatest is but for a simple day pack to hold outer layers while I'm hiking in, water, etc, I really like the Eberlestock Gunrunner.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know why you need a scabbard. Just came back from an elk hunt a week ago, we used the pack straps and cinched the rifles to the packs whenever we didn't want to carry them on our shoulder. Eberlestock makes tough durable packs; however, in my experience they are some of the heaviest ones on the market. I gave mine away years ago, IIRC it was 8lbs empty.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Eberlestock F1 mainframe, then just strap on a scabbard (or any rifle case) and a dry bag.

Phil

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I don't know why you need a scabbard. Just came back from an elk hunt a week ago, we used the pack straps and cinched the rifles to the packs whenever we didn't want to carry them on our shoulder. Eberlestock makes tough durable packs; however, in my experience they are some of the heaviest ones on the market. I gave mine away years ago, IIRC it was 8lbs empty.
I chopped off a few fingers so my hands get full quicker, I like having it secured and out of the way if I don't plan on hunting on my way in or if it's after dark on my way out

Last edited by Irving_D; 10/25/22.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nylon MOLLE shotgun scabbard attached to side of pack. Usually 12 ga Ithaca or occasional 1895GS.

18 inch overall finished length of half inch tubular loop on pistol grip or tang area of stock and hand loop on other end to assist draw vertically.

Longer arm length helps.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Personally, I like the Kifaru Gunbearer. Quick to access the rifle, secure for tricky hikes or loose ground on steep ridges, will go on just about any pack, and it's light!

As always, backpacking gear is open to lots of opinions, but I'd at least look at them if in your shoes.

Regards

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are a lot of options out there for carrying a rifle. Pick the one that fits your desire

I've used (and use) several methods like the Kifaru Gunbearer, the Sitka Gun Sling, strapping to the side of a pack (with and without the S Gun Sling), and the Eberlestock. When making tracks walking in before light and out after light or any time you're not going to access the rifle, the Eberlestock has been the simplest, easiest, and most comfortable for me. It rides well and balanced without sticking out to far above my head or to far below the pack. The barrel doesn't get in the beam of a headlamp. It's also nice to leave the rifle in it while pulling a pack up into or down from a treestand. The Eberlestock Gunrunner is a 1275 ci pack and weights just under 4 lbs so it's not overweight or oversized for a daypack.

The Gunbearer and Gun Sling are much better if you need to access your rifle and I often have one on the Eberlestock pack I use most if I'm going to be still hunting somewhere I'll need to be using two trekking poles. I have either a Gunbearer or a Gun Sling on all my packs that aren't Eberlestocks.

Lot's of good options. Pick the one that best fits what you're doing.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I do a lot of coyote hunting and pack all my gear on my back scabbard, leaves my hands free for trekking poles, ski poles, handlebars etc.

Chair/stool, spare call, shooting sticks, lunch all go on the scabbard.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I do have a hard scabbard on the bike that I put the rifle in going to and from hunting but use the back scabbard traveling from stand to stand as it is easy to bail off the bike and walk out to a stand for a hunt. I do park the rig and take long circle hikes through remote areas and do multiple stands also.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nimrod back scabbard, they make a pack to go with it.

https://nimrodoutdoor.com/collections/pack-accessories

Last edited by erich; 10/25/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have had my erblestock pack for about 10 years now. It has done everything I have needed it to do. When it comes time to replace it, I would certainly consider another one.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The kifaru gunbearer is a good idea for hands-free carry, but it doesn't work well for at-the-ready carry.

I substituted a quick-release webbing buckle at the top anchor, just pinch the buckle tabs and the gun is free, ready to pull up.

I use a stiffer belt-loop (nail) bag for the butt end, because it doesn't collapse around the butt and resist it being pulled out. Rifle comes in and out of the stiff bag very easily for quick deploy.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru Gunbearer on pack of your choice, thank me later

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
The kifaru gunbearer is a good idea for hands-free carry, but it doesn't work well for at-the-ready carry.

I substituted a quick-release webbing buckle at the top anchor, just pinch the buckle tabs and the gun is free, ready to pull up.

I use a stiffer belt-loop (nail) bag for the butt end, because it doesn't collapse around the butt and resist it being pulled out. Rifle comes in and out of the stiff bag very easily for quick deploy.

It's the best "at the ready" system out there imo

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used the K gunbearer a lot. I think it take some getting used to, but it sure is handy. I will comment on one downside. If you are a guided hunter (as I have been) and you are following around a super fit hunting guide, the time it take to put it and take it out of the gunbearer will let the guide get out of sight before you have taken a step. AND going uphill, it’s hard to keep the rifle barrel from swishing back and forth in front of your face. I usually end up putting the butt in a side pocket and using the side straps

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bater
Kifaru Gunbearer on pack of your choice, thank me later

Yep best I've found, carry cold chamber and head out.

I had one of the Eberle, X-1 packs,, 15 years ago, the rifle rides in a sleeve down the middle of your back. The pack was too small for me, then with the rifle touching the middle of my upper back and butt it pushed the pack further from my body. < Horrible fit for me.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1 on ol mike's comment. Ditched my Eberlestock for the Gunbearer and the Kuiu and EXO versions for their packs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hands down another vote for the Kifaru GunBearer…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an Eberlestock X1 and it worked fine for a day pack but was a little short on volume for me, maybe the X1A3 Euro with its extra capacity would be ok. I have an X2 now and can strap a rifle to it easily if needed plus it has a little extra volume and is better for strapping game quarters too. Another thing is I like muzzle up carry. I sometimes hunt in steep country and don't like the muzzle down carry as it is below the pack that can get caught on things and throw your balance off.

O
O
I went a different route. Tried the gun bearer....didnt love it... tried a beaver tail bag with gun strapped to the bag....too slow...tried the ebelerstock gun runner ll....missed the option of a meat hauler... I ended up designing my own sling system that is essentially a 2 point sling in two pcs.. I carry front ready...butstock by my right shoulder and muzzle down. My "sling" is fixed to the shoulder straps on my pack. The gun is completely hands free yet easily just picked up and shot.. the weight distribution is also nice as the pack and the rifle offset each other one being in back the other out front... the rifle is always pointed safe. Your hands are completely free for trekking poles or whatever. And you can shoot just as fast as you can pick it up and aim.. I even wear it with a bino bag.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I actually put the rifle in the pack. Absolutely NOT ready for action, but when it's time to carry it works, and I carry it a lot. Working on a mod for my pack to make it easier. For most hunting it's reasonably sure there won't be any game jumped during the pack-in.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.