Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just picked up a new to me Montana Roughrider 45-70. It is used but looks brand new. B6xx serial number. I don't think I have been this excited about a new gun in a long time. I don't know if I will get it out for elk this year but I might take it over to the east side of the state for mule deer in a few weeks. I wanted a rifle made for hunting more than target, this one has a 26 octagon that looks mid weight to me, and the buckhorn and blade sights.
I will have to load smokeless for now but maybe develop a BP load by next season. Any tips and advice appreciated.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations!
That is a fine rifle!

First advice is to never hot rod it. It's not a Ruger #1 in strength.

Second, there's nothing on the face of the earth that cannot be killed, cleanly and quickly with a 500gr bullet traveling at 1250fps.

Third, get started on the Black Powder loads now. It's not the arcane, voodoo, super difficult method that some make it out to be, and it certainly will not rust your rifle immediately after firing. The Universal Solvent (water) is all you need to clean it if using properly lubed cast lead bullets.

Fourth, you can accurately hit stuff a long way off with those sights, you just have to figure out what the sight picture is for each range.

Buffalo Arms Co (BACO LINK) is the go-to source for a lot of what you will need.

Lastly, there are some really knowledgeable folks here, on the Shiloh Forums, and on Cast Boolits Forums who can give you general advice, or very specific advice on every aspect of he feeding, caring for, and shooting these great rifles.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Congratulations!
That is a fine rifle!

First advice is to never hot rod it. It's not a Ruger #1 in strength.

Second, there's nothing on the face of the earth that cannot be killed, cleanly and quickly with a 500gr bullet traveling at 1250fps.

Third, get started on the Black Powder loads now. It's not the arcane, voodoo, super difficult method that some make it out to be, and it certainly will not rust your rifle immediately after firing. The Universal Solvent (water) is all you need to clean it if using properly lubed cast lead bullets.

Fourth, you can accurately hit stuff a long way off with those sights, you just have to figure out what the sight picture is for each range.

Buffalo Arms Co (BACO LINK) is the go-to source for a lot of what you will need.

Lastly, there are some really knowledgeable folks here, on the Shiloh Forums, and on Cast Boolits Forums who can give you general advice, or very specific advice on every aspect of he feeding, caring for, and shooting these great rifles.

Ed

According to Kirk Bryan the Shiloh Sharps will handle any load the Ruger #1 can. Having said that none of my Shilohs have sullied by that new fangled smokeless powder

Oh yeah, we need pics

Last edited by pacecars; 11/01/22.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pacecars
According to Kirk Bryan the Shiloh Sharps will handle any load the Ruger #1 can. Having said that none of my Shilohs have sullied by that new fangled smokeless powder

Oh yeah, we need pics

I stand corrected. blush

And my Shiloh also has never been sullied by that passing fad known as smokeless powder, nor jacketed bullets. 20:1 or 30:1 cast lead alloy bullets only.

Yes, we need pics... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The MR with a checkered steel shotgun butt is my favorite model got a couple of them. In about 10 days I'll get my second shiloh business rifle a 50-70 it's used but belonged to a friend who has take meticulous care of it.. I know that excited feeling.. lol I'll have ammo loaded for it by Monday. Nothing to get real excited about if your me but it's been shot 500 times and never had the barrel polluted by a greaser slug either all paper patch bullets and bp...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's neat stuff fellas! I too am awaiting my first Shiloh myself. Gunner helped me pick out the build. Surprisingly, it is a 50-90... He said it should be plenty for bucks.. Time will tell grin

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Scott when did you order it?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd have to check my invoice, but probably 6 months ago, maybe a few months more, from Bill Goodman.

Last edited by beretzs; 11/01/22.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm about just at 1 year ago on a Hartford model order.called them to see where it's at. Ohna told
Me it would probably another 4-6 months before production starts on it. Meanwhile I've got a 50-70 business rifle showing up in 10 days or so. Bought a new Boyt hardcase and sent it to the seller of the gun i,'m buying for shipping it to me and getting it in 1 piece. Those Plano ones don't hold up under ups abuse...mb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I talked to Bill and he said about another month. I’m not sure but I think Bill is the only direct dealer for them so he gets priority on builds and a bit shorter timeline.

I’m fine either way. I don’t even have my stuff set up to load for the big guy right now.

Semper Fi
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No Bill don't get priority, what he does is place an order or 2 every couple a weeks so he has a dozen or so in the pipeline. So until the gun you buy from Bill goes into production you can change the specs to what you want. After a gun starts production they won't change anything. You'll will like shiloh quality...mb

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
A friend of mine has family in Standpoint and will be bringing me some BP later this month. Ill start working on loads after hunting season. I have some middle of the road smokeless loads for my marlin that I might try just to see if I can put it to use on a deer. I just don't have the time or powder available yet and I don't think I can wait.
A couple of my main questions are... I'm not sure of the twist rate or what bullet weight to start with, and will I like the sights for hunting or should I look into soule sights or some type of rear peep.

Last edited by dogwater; 11/01/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dogwater , a guy can do a pile of good shooting with iron sights depending on where you hold the blade in the notch. Bill Bagwell who has been mentioned many times in this forum was a master with them. One item to mention is that the German silver front blade does not pickup light real well early or late in the day. Replacing that blade is not to hard with a cut down pre 1982 penny. The one I did following Bill's suggestion ended up cut down to .345" from the bottom of the groove in the dovetail base to the top . I then filed the back side a small 45° angle flat at the top. This like the old Redfield Sourdough frt sight really catches the light. Where at in Montana are you? The factory Remington 405 gr loads are 1300fps at the muzzle and the 300 gr load at 1800fps. The big trick of course is finding them right now. If you look in the thread of the bagwell eulogies someone posted on how to use the rear sight out to 400 or so.???..mb

Edit to add jwp475 originally posted that little 400 yard chart and it was quoted by wood troll on page 8 of the Bagwell eulogies.

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/02/22.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
OK since we don’t have pics and a Montana Rough Rider and Business Rifle have been mentioned along with Bill Bagwell I will post pics of mine even though most have seen them by now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The gun on the left is a Business Rifle in .50-90 with semi fancy wood and a pewter forend tip that I bought through Bill Goodman. The gun on the right is special to me. It is a Montana Rough Rider in .40-70 Straight with semi fancy wood, checkering and a Walter Cooper style pewter forend tip. I bought it from Sidra Bagwell, it was one of Bill’s rifles. I have had 8 or 9 Shilohs and you will not be disappointed in their quality

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ron that b gun has some of the nicest "semi fancy "wood I've ever seen. I've got one with semi fancy that has less figure than a menards 2x4. I want them straight grained thru the wrist but figure up front and in the butt is nice..The used bgun I just bought has nice multi hued straight grain. I think the only option it had was glass bedding on the forend..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/02/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
No Bill don't get priority, what he does is place an order or 2 every couple a weeks so he has a dozen or so in the pipeline. So until the gun you buy from Bill goes into production you can change the specs to what you want. After a gun starts production they won't change anything. You'll will like shiloh quality...mb

AH! That makes sense. Hoping I get to see it in the next couple of weeks/months. No real hurry though, I sprang for some decent wood and finish, along with some other decent touches. Should be a good looking rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogwater
A friend of mine has family in Standpoint and will be bringing me some BP later this month. Ill start working on loads after hunting season. I have some middle of the road smokeless loads for my marlin that I might try just to see if I can put it to use on a deer. I just don't have the time or powder available yet and I don't think I can wait.
A couple of my main questions are... I'm not sure of the twist rate or what bullet weight to start with, and will I like the sights for hunting or should I look into soule sights or some type of rear peep.

When you order that powder, keep in mind that you'll only get 100 rounds from a lb of it, so order plenty. Don't forget to get a bag of .030 wads.
One other thing you may run across is the cases that have been fired in that Marlin you may have to resize the snot out of to get them to chamber in your Shiloh.
If you're using a 400 gr or lighter bullet in that marlin ,the twist in that Shiloh may or may not shoot those well.

BACO has a 510 grain Creedmoor bullet that should serve well with hunting and long range target shooting. Another good choice on a grease groove bullet is the Saeco 645. 20-1 alloy will work quite well with either of those bullets.

Those barrel sights work just fine for hunting out to about as far as one needs to be shooting at live game. Take a thin Swiss needle file and widen the notch in the rear sight, and you'll be able to pick up the front sight a whole bunch easier. A Ytex ear tag marking pin works well to blacken the front sight once you get that sight filed down to suit your preference for poi at what ever distance you decide to sight it in at. If you decide to change that front blade, my preference is a brass blade. Tried the penny thing and it was ok when it was fresh.
Good luck and have fun with your new treasure.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dogwater
I just picked up a new to me Montana Roughrider 45-70. It is used but looks brand new. B6xx serial number. I don't think I have been this excited about a new gun in a long time. I don't know if I will get it out for elk this year but I might take it over to the east side of the state for mule deer in a few weeks. I wanted a rifle made for hunting more than target, this one has a 26 octagon that looks mid weight to me, and the buckhorn and blade sights.
I will have to load smokeless for now but maybe develop a BP load by next season. Any tips and advice appreciated.

You can call Shiloh with the serial number and they should be able to tell you the twist

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well based on the op's stated facts of a 26" std oct barrel I'm betting 1 in 18 twist also std. Most guys who order the tighter 1 in 16 twist also get atleast a 30" heavy barrel for target shooting. Where you at in Montana? Lot of 74 shooters and 45-70's up there
.mb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With that B serial number it is likely an 18 twist, but not all the 18 twist guns will start shooting well until the bullet gets above 450 grains, or 1.2 long shooting patched. Going over 530 grains or over 1.4 can also present problems in the accuracy dept.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

288 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.