Print Thread
Hop To
T
ty98zr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I recently received this double barrel, double hammer, double trigger 16 gauge from a family friend and need some help identifying it and figuring out what it’s worth. Lots of proof stamping under the barrel but I haven’t had any luck looking up of finding anything similar. “Marcel Murat” is stamped in several locations and I know the Murat family in France built guns but don’t see anything about the name Marcel. Any help on year built, origin or estimated value would be greatly appreciated. I attached pictures and could send more if needed to help figure this out.

Attached Images
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very hard to see but the proof marks on the barrel flats appear to be Belgium.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
ty98zr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I think you’re correct, I know think it’s Belgium made. Found some charts for proof marks that match up. Any further info would be appreciated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Belgium guns are not the darlings of the collectables and there appears to be quite a bit of corrosion on the outside of the barrel. If the pitting isn't too deep and the interior of the barrels look good? Are the hammers snug (not loose on the shafts), do the hold at full cock, no cracks in the stock around the locks and wrist, with the forend off the barrels aren't loose in lockup? The barrels appear to be steel instead of Damascus unless they have been blued over. I'd say if it is in shootable condition $500, if it has any problems the value goes down very fast to the point where it becomes a wall hanger or a candidate to make a floor lamp as the cost of repairs would be prohibitive for a non-collectible shotgun..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
ty98zr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for your help Erich. The hammers hold but one is loose on the shaft. There is some pitting on both the outside and inside the barrel. And a track in the stock where it meets the receiver. I’m not looking to sell it so not worried about the value, just more curious than anything. Do you know of any books or websites that would help find out some more history/detail on this gun from the proof markings? Any way to find out the date of production or narrow down more info on the manufacturer?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There were a bazillion mom n pop gun makers in Belgium, and it's often real hard to find any history on the small shop made guns.

In looking at the rust and corrosion inside and out I would be averse to shooting the gun. Maybe make some light BP blanks to blow smoke. I'd give it a value of $150-$200 from what I see in the photos. That's conservative, I know, but not having it in hand, conservative is the best I can do.

It was a very nice gun once. It's too bad WWII ruined it (my assumption).

I sure enjoyed seeing the gun.

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.