Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well the crops are getting out of the fields at a rapid rate. The hunting has been very good. I'm mainly hunting field perimeters so not seeing large numbers in bunches but getting single or double rooster flushes. It's a good way to put three birds in the game bag in not much time.

I got a new brown pup so he's learning the pheasant game. My Black Lab is always on his "A" game which is really fun to watch.

We are also shooting some Sharptails regularly. They are a fun bonus.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great pictures and really nice looking SxS's for sure.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Can’t go wrong with a good lab and a nice sxs.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Great pictures and great looking dogs. What is that SxS your using?

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Sorry, is that the Lindner CD featherweight 12ga as shown in a previous post?

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Atta boy, Bobby! We sure had fun at the Bird Dog Bunkhouse last week. Wish we were still there! I left a lot of roosters for you! wink

dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smitty_bs
Sorry, is that the Lindner CD featherweight 12ga as shown in a previous post?

No this is a different Daly Featherweight 12ga weighing 5.5# that I got this summer. The other is a 16ga.

"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Atta boy, Bobby! We sure had fun at the Bird Dog Bunkhouse last week. Wish we were still there! I left a lot of roosters for you! wink

Tim it was great to have you and Bruce out again. Also enjoyed having Dave along. You guys always have plenty of fun!

dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This season ranks as one of the best EVER.

All the hunters have been getting lots of shots and putting roosters in the game bags.

I still have hunters staying up 'til Christmas.

It's been lots of fun!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In saying this season “ranks as one of the best EVER,” do you mean you’ve seen a noticeable uptick in bird numbers, or, that you were host to very fine gents (like Battue), which I expect is the case most years. I ask because I’ve heard some reports of “good” numbers in other parts of SD, and even here in nw Iowa.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great pictures! I love that double too. I leave a week from today for SD and have never hunted wild pheasants before so I am pretty excited. It is a buddy of mine and his 2 dogs going. This is my mini "retirement trip" I guess. We are hoteling it in Aberdeen and then trekking out from there daily. If we can each shot 2-3 birds in the 4 days we are going to hunt I will be happy.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Most of the guys who come when I'm there return every year so the camaraderie is always consistently great. We all have become good friends who met by staying to hunt at my house from all over the USA. Battue and Wilkeshunter are two of the fine gentlemen I count as my friends.

I provide a very nice place to stay and the hunting is good, which are the reasons I have so many guys return each year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted a couple weeks ago around Onida area and the National Grasslands, and it wasnt that good. Birds we saw were flushing wild. Only had 3 hunters, deer season was going on then. Very disappointed overall.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
I hunted a couple weeks ago around Onida area and the National Grasslands, and it wasnt that good. Birds we saw were flushing wild. Only had 3 hunters, deer season was going on then. Very disappointed overall.

I am sorry to hear that and I am hoping we at least get a little shooting. We don't have a guide or anything and are just try some stuff open to the public. It was a spur of the moment trip.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Best tip I can give is that there is a learning curve to hunting public land wild SD Pheasants. Many Birds will flush wild, expect it. However, what one thinks is obvious, often isn't the best choice.
You most likely will drive by more close opportunities than you would imagine possible. Bobby taught me to look for places that where not obvious to me when I first started going. It wasn't a formal classroom, just comments. It was my choice to pay attention.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Best tip I can give is that there is a learning curve to hunting public land wild SD Pheasants. Many Birds will flush wild, expect it. However, what one thinks is obvious, often isn't the best choice.
You most likely will drive by more close opportunities than you would imagine possible. Bobby taught me to look for places that where not obvious to me when I first started going. It wasn't a formal classroom, just comments. It was my choice to pay attention.

Thank you! Any and all advice is welcome. It is my best friend and I going. We have been best friends since 6th grade and for years would take off over Thanksgiving weekend with some shotguns and dogs and go hunt some state we never had before. This is the "old man" version of that.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bobby has a nice place to stay at, good food, and can show you some good public land to hunt the birds on. This was my first time @ Bobby's place and I hope to be back next fall once again.

My dogs and I had a great time and did well, even though it was a bit warm there yet. We had some fine, gentlemen sportsmen staying there, who were a pleasure to meet & visit with esp. during the evenings.

battue's note was spot-on..! The birds are out there - you just have to find them.

Brittman

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I and 3 friends just completed a great hunt at Bobby's place. The house is set up for hunters and is a good place to stay and come home to at the end of a hard day of hunting. We shot 4 man limits of birds on 4 out of 5 days. We hunted mostly ditches and section lines. CREP and other designated public hunting were not great. Those areas had been heavily hunted. We knew where to look and once we figured out the patterns it was up to good shooting and dog work. Our group is planning to return next year. Me and the other old dude are experienced pheasant hunters having hunted Kansas for years. Bobby's place has more birds than either of us had ever seen. I have attached a photo from one of the days we finished up early.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PWN; 12/01/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice, well done!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We did a quick trip on short notice over Thanksgiving. Dogs were rusty but we managed 3 days worth of limits. Averaged 7 miles per day so a guy had to work at it where we were. Great to get out again, its been a while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.