Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
owned colts, a ton of S&W's, rugers, etc.... but none of them comes close to my FA 97 in terms of quality. I would recommend it

Last edited by Sako; 11/11/22.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pandora’s box here….

How much does the idea of carrying a FA with an empty chamber sway you?

I am considering a .475/480 for a backpack/hiking sidearm but the chatter on the empty chamber has me paused. I know the guns are built like a fine Swiss watch but…..

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sako
owned colts, a ton of S&W's, rugers, etc.... but none of them comes close to my FA 97 in terms of quality. I would recommend it
Aren’t 97’s safer than 83’s regarding their hammer block system, thus empty chamber under the hammer.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Aren’t 97’s safer than 83’s regarding their hammer block system, thus empty chamber under the hammer.

DF

That’s correct, model 97s have a transfer bar and unlike the model 83s are safe to carry with one under the hammer.

I had a model 97 in .45 Colt. I’ll second the comments about the quality of these things. Cylinder lockup was like a swiss safe But alas I’m at the point in my life where safe queens no longer have an attraction to me and I sold it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by McInnis

DF

That’s correct, model 97s have a transfer bar and unlike the model 83s are safe to carry with one under the hammer.

I had a model 97 in .45 Colt. I’ll second the comments about the quality of these things. Cylinder lockup was like a swiss safe But alas I’m at the point in my life where safe queens no longer have an attraction to me and I sold it.

The .475/480s are only offered in the 83s, correct?

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JRS3
Originally Posted by McInnis

DF

The .475/480s are only offered in the 83s, correct?
The big frame is the 83. 97’s are six shooters in .357, five shooters in .45 Colt.

Agree on the bank vault lock up and amazing accuracy.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
If you have a problem with Ruger Bisleys then Ronnie Wells is your go to guy

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
With 5 FA's in possession since the late 80's.

I prefer the 83's over the 97's...but FA would not build me a 22LR/22Mag on a 83 frame.....decades ago.

The misinformation posted above regarding a FA 83 having to be carried on an empty cylinder is TOTAL BULL [bleep].

One IDIOT from the lower 48, hunting in AK removed the transfer bar from his FA 83 in 454 Casull, bent over w/ pistol in a hap hazard chest rig which fell out & shot himself in the head when it hit the ground...muzzle up as he & son a few yards away that witnessed his Dad's [bleep] up.

The family attemped to sue FA & lost the case when it was divulged that the pistol was BASTARDIZED by the owner.

You can not fix STUPID.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
With 5 FA's in possession since the late 80's.

I prefer the 83's over the 97's...but FA would not build me a 22LR/22Mag on a 83 frame.....decades ago.

The misinformation posted above regarding a FA 83 having to be carried on an empty cylinder is TOTAL BULL [bleep].

One IDIOT from the lower 48, hunting in AK removed the transfer bar from his FA 83 in 454 Casull, bent over w/ pistol in a hap hazard chest rig which fell out & shot himself in the head when it hit the ground...muzzle up as he & son a few yards away that witnessed his Dad's [bleep] up.

The family attemped to sue FA & lost the case when it was divulged that the pistol was BASTARDIZED by the owner.

You can not fix STUPID.

The FA-83 does not have a transfer bar

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy the Freedom Arms. ... here's why.

I have been paring down my assortment of firearms this past 10+ years. I've had some nice stuff, but not deluxe stuff. Probably like most gun owners, I don't shoot as much as as I would like. Over time I realized I didn't need four L-frame S&W 357 mags, or a few Rem 700 Classics , multiple JC Higgins model 50/51 with commercial FN 98 actions etc, etc ( I know, "need" has nothing to do with it).

You look at the money spent on those multiple "middle of the road" nice firearms purchased at ~$300-500 /each (years ago), and think, "I could've had one truly well-made precision gun "X", with money left over."

At this stage of my life, I am more interested in quality than quantity. Working a well-made action is a true pleasure to me. If my eyes were up to it, I would take the funds created from selling off 20+ firearms, and buy a Freedom Arms ( mine would be 44 mag). I wouldn't buy it as "an investment", but as an item to enjoy and appreciate its precision.

Good luck, and enjoy your purchase if you make the decision.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's my Premier grade FA .454 Casull, which I had FA build for me in 1984. It has a 10" MagNaPorted octagon barrel, TSOB base and rings, trigger set at 2.75#, and sling studs. After many hundreds of rounds thru it, last year I sent it back to FA and had the forcing cone replaced and a replaceable firing pin installed.
In the past, I have also owned Casulls in 7.5" and 4.75" barreled versions, but sold them and kept this one, which I prefer for hunting. I am presently loading up my dwindling supply of the original FA 260 gr JFP bullets in preparation for an upcoming hog hunt in TX. Wish they were still making this bullet- I once shot a boar hog that was facing me, bullet went in between the shoulders, traversed the full length of the hog, and exited.
I always carry it with the hammer down on an empty chamber, for safety.
During the time I've owned it, I have had 2 Leupold 4x and 2 Burris 4x pistol scopes on it- all 4 were sent back to the factory to be repaired after excessive recoil did them in. I now have an Ultradot Gen 2 mounted up, with zero problems so far.
I currently own two Rugers in .480 Ruger, a SRH and a SBH Bisley- both reliable, rugged firearms, but the FA is like an old friend.
To build this handgun today would probably run well over $3K! My nearly 40 YO version will last me as long as I am around, I'm sure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice. I like that octagonal barrel.

My 97 is a six shooter in .357. I worked up 180 gr. loads and needed a taller front sight. FA knew exactly what I needed, sent me the right one. I changed them with an Allen wrench, a quick swap out. It now shoots heavier bullets to exact POA.

FA makes an impressive revolver and they have equally impressive customer service.

Below is line bored .45 Colt, formally a .44 Mag three screw SBH before Jim Stroh got hold of it. Long extractor, 6" Shilen barrel and front sight milled by Jim. It shoots almost as good as the factory FA .357. I fitted the stag grips with Ruger medallion.

By the time you get a Ruger customized to shoot almost as good as an FA, you could about have bought an FA. Although I traded for this one, didn't pay retail, they have gotten pretty pricey. But so has top end custom work. This level of quality and precision is never cheap, nor should it be.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/12/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Are they worth the extra $$$…….we’ll really you’re the only one that can answer that question. As others have mentioned the quality is at the top for a “factory” revolver as is accuracy. DeFlave pretty much hit the nail on the head though - I personally can’t shoot it (offhand or in field hunting positions) any more accurate than other quality revolvers (Smith, Ruger, Dan Wesson, and Colt as well as a few Taurus and others). I have 97s in .22, 32 H&R and .41 and many of the other revolver makes, in the same chambering, I’ve mentioned will shoot with them (in my hands). So is it worth it? If you appreciate high quality built things that should hold value well then I’d say yes - if you appreciate a “tool” that will get the job done without a hitch then I’d say no. I like my other revolvers just as much but there is something special about picking up and shooting a FA revolver that is hard to describe.

Just my 2 cents,

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/13/22.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good point regarding general use.

If the FA out groups others on a bench, that may not make much difference in the field. But to a Loony that may be important.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If the FA out groups others on a bench, that may not make much difference in the field. But to a Loony that may be important.

DF

Accuracy should always be important! S&W, Rugers occasionally will shoot with a FA revolver but FA revolvers are always very accurate or FA will correct them.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

DF

Accuracy should always be important! S&W, Rugers occasionally will shoot with a FA revolver but FA revolvers are always very accurate or FA will correct them.
^^^^^This^^^^^
Everyone needs to make their own mind up as to where their level of satisfaction is vs cost. I will never sell either of my Freedom Arms revolvers.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked into them at one time and was put off by the same as above...basically a 4 shot revolver in big bores.

If I got one it would be a 22 I think, they are supposed to be ridiculously accurate.

Sorry for the loss of your dad. Remember, you don't have to spend all of that fun money at once.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The carry necessity of hammer on an empty chamber is what put me off of the Model 83; four shots is not enough IMO.

The 97 is another thing altogether, and my only struggle is which one and prying my wallet open. Beautifully made revolvers.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GF1
The carry necessity of hammer on an empty chamber is what put me off of the Model 83; four shots is not enough IMO.

If you hit what you are shooting at, 4 is plenty. Or you can carry 5 if you don't drop your revolver on the hand surface that breaks the Hammer block

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GF1

If you hit what you are shooting at, 4 is plenty. Or you can carry 5 if you don't drop your revolver on the hand surface that breaks the Hammer block

We’ll just have to disagree on that one, on both counts.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.