Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Frankly I would opt for Bighorn rifle. With the funds, you could get a nice Bighorn 454 and a FA 454.
What pair of fine Wyoming made firearms they would be.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of well machine artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.
The BFR’s for all intentions are just as accurate, sometimes maybe more so. But the difference is not significant.
The BFR can be bought for roughly 1/3rd the cost of a new Premier grade FA.
If accuracy is your main concern buy the BFR
If accuracy AND fit, finish, and artistry in metal if what you prefer buy the FA.

This^^^^ excellent explanation

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=Snowwolfe]I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of well machine artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.
The BFR’s for all intentions are just as accurate, sometimes maybe more so. But the difference is not significant.
If accuracy AND fit, finish, and artistry in metal if what you prefer buy the FA.

I’ve never owned a BFR, but owned one field grade Freedom Arms in 454 Casull. Concur with the first paragraph above completely. One of the most precisely produced firearms that I’ve ever owned. Superb handguns. Always reminded me of a bank vault when I cocked the hammer.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If you want a Chevy, buy a Chevy. If you want a Corvette you're going to expect a pay a bit more. Same with a FA, you get what you pay for. I've had one BFR & it shot just fine but I could not warm up to that grip frame so it didn't last long even though it shot just fine. My FA 41 magnum shoots as good as a rifle if I'm doing my part & on a good day a 454 is almost as good.
You don't have to shoot top end loads in a 454, you can down load 454 loads to match a heavy 45 & still be very happy with the results. It really comes down to what you want, it's out there if you want it, trust me.

Dick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had my FA Model 97 in .22LR/ .22 Mag. for twenty years. If I ordered it today it would cost $3,900 plus the holster. Worth every penny. I would do it again.

A modified Ruger is still a Ruger, no matter how nice. I have no experience with BFR, but I don’t spend money on second tier stuff, given a choice.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fshaw
[quote=Snowwolfe]I owned a handful of Freedom Arms revolvers. All were truly beautiful examples of well machine artistry. All you need to is pull back the hammer and feel the precision. For the most part they are worth the price of admission.

I’ve never owned a BFR, but owned one field grade Freedom Arms in 454 Casull. Concur with the first paragraph above completely. One of the most precisely produced firearms that I’ve ever owned. Superb handguns. Always reminded me of a bank vault when I cocked the hammer.

Dick, Jack Huntington did a grip modification on BFRs corrected the grip shape, BFR now produces them with this grip shape

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had one BFR and it was really good. Worth the price. Also I've had several Freedom Arms 83 revolvers and two Bowen customs. Mechanically there's nothing built like the Frredom Arms quality. They are extremely precise.

I prefer the Freedom Arms grip and the current BFR grip over the Ruger bisley grip for my larger hands. It's just how they fit me. The one place where the Bowen revolvers excelled was mine had Bowen sights and the front xpress band style front sight. The heavy barrel and front sight Bowen puts on is simply beautiful.

My first FA83 was around $800 and I've owned several and hunted big things with them. Sold them off and gave one to my boy. I'll probably pick up another ar some point because nothing at the price point compares and is as fine. You'd have to spend lots more money to get that quality anywhere and there's many rifles not nearly as well built fetching 3k-7k+ that I refer to as "me too" rifles. No of these compare to the quality of FA

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had several FA 83's over the years starting in the late '80s - early '90s when they could be had for around $1k. Shot them alot back then but moved away from them for a number of years.

In 2009, I was passing through Post Falls, ID and Cabelas had a used FA 83 premiere grade 454 with Leupold 2x scope in the box. The box was oversized to fit the scope and appeared to have been ordered that way from the factory. They had it marked at $1200 and the same revolver w/out scope I'd been seeing priced at around $1700 at the time. The price seemed to good to be true so I bought it and haven't regretted it. I did have FA shorten the barrel from 7.5" to 6" and like it even better.

As others have said, the workmanship is unmatched and the price reflects it. I wouldn't pay the going rate for a new one, but if the right deal come along on a good used one, I'd jump on it.

I don't shoot full power 454 loads anymore. 300 - 350 gr cast bullets around 1100 fps is about tops for me. If I feel the need for more, I'd much rather shoot my 5 shot Ruger Bisly 480 grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JWP, if you say BFRs are that good, I'll have to go and look at one. The only reason I have my FA is I got it for a really good price and it look hardly used. Anyway, here's my 454 C:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a damn good looking and perfectly proportioned revolver Jorge.

Excellent summary Flave.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
It's a difficult question to answer because it would be impossible to claim something that is machined to that level is not worth the money. They are incredibly well built.

But for me, they are not worth the coin if you are going to order one brand new. I do not like the size of 83. To me they are just too tank like. I do like the 97 and that is what I ordered, but the incredibly tight tolerances ended up being what I disliked about them. The action never rolls and clicks in your hand like a SAA or Ruger Blackhawk and the throats were so tight that I would have to rotate the cylinder and press extra super hard onto the case to get it to seat fully so I could rotate the cylinder. The folks at FA believe this is perfectly normal. I do not.

I don't need the throat on a .44 Special to be that tight. There is little doubt that a Freedom Arms revolver can shoot better than 99% of their owners, and that's really cool. But to leave close to $3K out of fun money circulation for that type of firearm is just silly in my opinion. Especially when you consider that they're making more every day and probably will continue to do so for some time. Now, if I could find a screaming deal on a 83 or 97 that was used, I'd probably be all over it. But I don't think that's what we are discussing based on your question.

If I was in your situation I would buy something that they're not making any more so you and your kids can enjoy them while you're still around. Old Colts and old Smiths would bring a lot higher pleasure to dollar ratio in my opinion.

I've seen the throats too tight and sent one back FA fir correction and asked for a lighter trigger they said we'd have to pay for the trigger work. They corrected the throats and performed the trigger slick up all for free

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dick, Jack Huntington did a grip modification on BFRs corrected the grip shape, BFR now produces them with this grip shape

I had Jack modify the grip on a BFR 500 JRH I used to own.

The Bisley model BFR currently sells does not resemble Jacks design unless you are you saying that BFR now offers a "Jack Huntington" grip model?

I own two of the latest BFR Bisley models. Good design to shoot, ugly to look at.

Jacks version is much better but he told me he can not convert the Bisley model to his design.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I have had my FA Model 97 in .22LR/ .22 Mag. for twenty years. If I ordered it today it would cost $3,900 plus the holster. Worth every penny. I would do it again.

Woof! Prices have gone up a ton, apparently. Glad I ordered mine when I did.. eek

A M97 in .22 Mag would be da bo-mb... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bought one in .22 because that’s what I shoot the majority of the time.

Fantastic craftsmanship and everything I hope it would be. Not cheap but definitely falls under the buy once cry once category…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

I had Jack modify the grip on a BFR 500 JRH I used to own.

The Bisley model BFR currently sells does not resemble Jacks design unless you are you saying that BFR now offers a "Jack Huntington" grip model?

I own two of the latest BFR Bisley models. Good design to shoot, ugly to look at.

Jacks version is much better but he told me he can not convert the Bisley model to his design.

Good info

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bought one in .22 because that’s what I shoot the majority of the time.

Fantastic craftsmanship and everything I hope it would be. Not cheap but definitely falls under the buy once cry once category…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I kick myself for not buying a 97 in .22 LR with the match chambers. Nope, had to have a .32 H&R Magnum…. They were still about $1,000 then.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sorry about your Pop, and yes, worth every dime, we have no guarantees, buy one and enjoy the hell out of it while you can, you'll not be disappointed. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two FA Model 97s - a .41 Mag 6 inch and a .357 5-1/2 inch. They are far and away the finest handguns I've ever owned. The level of precision is astounding. Before I bought them I had a Smith & Wesson 945 from the custom shop, which I thought was phenomenal. The 945 didn't hold a candle to the FAs.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn you guys. Get this freedom arms thought out of my head.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cwh2
Damn you guys. Get this freedom arms thought out of my head.
LMAO... Well, good luck sir...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.