Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there a handheld GPS that can show you where another person is located with the same unit etc? Like a GPS collar for dogs. Buddy and I would like to be able to keep track of each other's location on some new hunting grounds for safety. Thanks in advance.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Garmin Rino 700 is supposed to. You essentially need a combined GPS and 2-way radio. Haven't used one, but I'd guess that location tracker for other users works thru radio and would be limited to range of the radios.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Garmin's Inreach will do it but I've never looked into how to do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Both Garmin's Astro 100 and 200 will do what you're asking. That's their dog tracking receivers, but in addition to dogs you can also enter in "contacts," which will track your buddy's receiver as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would think that anything using radio would be pretty much line of sight. You need something that uses satellites to see over the ridge. There are a number of 'satellite messenger' devices that will allow the use of satellites to keep in touch. They usually require a subscription to a service.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I should add that Garmin's Inreach monthly service costs about $15/month. You can suspend it during the off season if you like. We're in our 70's and are often out of cell range when traveling so I have Inreach's annual service year round in case of a breakdown or something. It's a little cheaper/month but you can't suspend it when you aren't using it. The lowest priced service allows you 10 texts/month. Additional are .50 each.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Garmin Rinos work quite well go that & would take an onX chip to give you more info

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An ap named Life 360 will do that. I have it on my phone and can track the whereabouts of all my family members.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
An ap named Life 360 will do that. I have it on my phone and can track the whereabouts of all my family members.
does it require cell service?

― George Orwell

IC B3

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by KC
does it require cell service?

Curious also

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This info from Life360 answers that. Yes, it does require cell service.

General Settings Checklist:

Do not use a VPN with Life360 as it will interfere with accuracy.
Keep WiFi turned ON to improve location accuracy.
Do not use with mobile hotspots or vehicles with built-in Wifi hotspots.
Turn all location services ON, including GPS and WiFi.
Allow Life360 to use cellular data.
Turn ‘Data saver’ OFF.
'Physical Activity' permissions need to be ON and 'Allowed'.
'Precise Location' needs to be turned ON.
Open the app to refresh after phone battery has died.
Do not use parental control or security apps.
Open Life360 every two days to prevent it from going into 'sleep mode'.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife turns on a tracking app on her iPhone when we travel so that her daughter can see and know where we are if need be. Probably accurate to about 100' though I've never used it myself. Reading the OP's post, I don't think that long range tracking or the Life360 is what he is looking for. When the Garmin Rino hand held GPS units first came out, I bought a pair of the yellow 110 units and my buddy bought the green next model up units to use with his son. We deer hunted big northern woods together and those Rino's worked perfectly for keeping track of one another over hundreds of yards. The problem as we saw it with big woods was that there was no one else to get deer up and moving and we didn't know where each other was hunting? If my buddy and I could post one guy and walk the other a ridge or two away or parallel still hunt, we could move a lot of deer more effectively for one another. We didn't need to talk over the radio, just key the push to talk button and the other guy on the same frequency would get a compass arrow and distance to the other hunter. I lost that partner to the farm country hunting back home, but when we used those Garmin Rino's, they worked well over our normal big woods hunting ranges.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
The wife turns on a tracking app on her iPhone when we travel so that her daughter can see and know where we are if need be. Probably accurate to about 100' though I've never used it myself. Reading the OP's post, I don't think that long range tracking or the Life360 is what he is looking for. When the Garmin Rino hand held GPS units first came out, I bought a pair of the yellow 110 units and my buddy bought the green next model up units to use with his son. We deer hunted big northern woods together and those Rino's worked perfectly for keeping track of one another over hundreds of yards. The problem as we saw it with big woods was that there was no one else to get deer up and moving and we didn't know where each other was hunting? If my buddy and I could post one guy and walk the other a ridge or two away or parallel still hunt, we could move a lot of deer more effectively for one another. We didn't need to talk over the radio, just key the push to talk button and the other guy on the same frequency would get a compass arrow and distance to the other hunter. I lost that partner to the farm country hunting back home, but when we used those Garmin Rino's, they worked well over our normal big woods hunting ranges.

That's what I'm looking for. To be able to see my hunting partners location on my screen and visa versa.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pricy little thing isn’t it? I’m sure that the new ones do way more than my old 110 Rino pair, but I didn’t need to know where my buddy was 20 miles away, I just wanted to know where he was within a few hundred yards. If he kept his push to talk button pushed, I could tell when he took a step or two. I’m thinking that I didn’t pay more than a couple hundred for the pair of them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.