Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Did the Marines defend Fort McHenry in 1812?

I did the restoration of that fortification 25 odd years ago... I had ALWAYS been told by the historians (back then) "Yes the Marines were the defenders."

But I cannot find any modern reference to match this knowledge.

Backstory... I am selling my Stafford home to a young Marine Captain and his wife. I plan to gift them an item gifted to me. https://www.gallon.com/shop/other-wars/war-of-1812/the-flag-is-full-of-stars-limited-edition-prints/

I know what NPS.GOV now says in their briefing. BUT it is 2022... and NPS history is often bent. i.e. Abe Lincoln was a racist and George Washington was a white supremacist et al. The NPS is huge on woke history.

I worked on McHenry for 2 years... the defenders in 1812 were often called Marines by the NPS Historians back then... much like the Continental Marines of November 10, 1775 were formed to defend our very few vessels and raise general hell with the Brits and Hessians.

I am only trying to be accurate...

Thanks for solid intel if anyone has any

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found no evidence of USMC at McHenry. There is some easy confusion due to the existence of the "U.S. Sea Fencibles" which were odd units with the Commanding Officers reporting to the Army, presumably Gen George Armistead who commanded McHenry, but the troops were paid for by the Navy.

Pretty interesting article about them @ http://civilwarthosesurnames.blogspot.com/2009/01/united-states-corps-sea-fencibles-1813.html. There were two Companies of them there during the battle - one commanded by Capt. Matthew S. Bunbury and one commanded by Capt. William H. Addison

The Marines mostly fought in the Battle of Bladensburg where they, pretty much alone, performed well. Even then they were only 103 Marines, along with 300 sailors from the Chesapeake Flotilla commanded by Commodore Joshua Barney. There were only 1200 USMC at the time so nearly 10% of the force isn't small contribution.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well according to Wiki, yes.

The Hampstead Hill defense, under Commodore John Rodgers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baltimore#American

https://maryland1812.com/2011/06/27/hampstead-hill-the-bulwark-of-baltimores-defense-september-1814/

The arrival of Commodore John Rodgers naval brigade from Philadelphia on August 26 of 350 U.S. Marines and sailors from the frigate Guerriere gave the city hope of a defense. Around this corps of veteran naval veterans, Major General Samuel Smith gathered the 15,000 arriving militia from Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland. These troops gave support to the train of thrity-four field guns that crested the defense lines upon Hampstead Hill.

https://maryland1812.com/2011/04/12/u-s-marines-at-baltimore-1813-1814/

Last edited by Paul_M; 11/03/22. Reason:

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Well according to Wiki, yes. The Hampstead Hill defense, under Commodore John Rodgers.

That was more defending Baltimore than Fort McHenry if I got the original question right. Those fortifications were about 6 miles from Fort McHenry.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Well according to Wiki, yes. The Hampstead Hill defense, under Commodore John Rodgers.

That was more defending Baltimore than Fort McHenry if I got the original question right. Those fortifications were about 6 miles from Fort McHenry.
Ahh, got it. They were involved in the battle but were not in Fort McHenry.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Battle of Bladensburg is where the US Marines and Navy Bluejackets did their duty!!! Without ammo for the guns they were manning counter attacked with bayonet and pike while the rest of the American forces were participating in a rout from the battlefield.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My uncle is the Associate Dean of Academics at the Marine Corps University. He has a PH.D. in history. His focus is on US History with emphasis on the Colonial/Revolutionary period and 19th century westward expansion.

I sent him a message. We should know the “answer” shortly. Let me know if there were any other questions or details, and I will ask.

Semper Fi

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by haverluk
My uncle is the Associate Dean of Academics at the Marine Corps University. He has a PH.D. In history. His focus is on US History with emphasis on the Colonial/Revolutionary period and 19th century westward expansion.

I sent him a message. We should know the “answer” shortly. Let me know if there were any other questions or details, and I will ask.

Thanks Matt... and everybody...

I just want the gift and backstory to be honest.

Also received a 38 page white paper from a Marine friend outside of 24HC... about a hour ago.

"Marines are mentioned often but only on page 33 do we find

"The Marines, sailors, soldiers and militiamen watched in awe as the rockets soared and the bombs burst over the fort."

No unit designation is mentioned."

I will share that white paper by email with anyone interested... and here if I can figure out how to post a 38 page PDF.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
"The Marines, sailors, soldiers and militiamen watched in awe as the rockets soared and the bombs burst over the fort."

The Marines at Hamstead would certainly been able to see those shells in flight and the impacts. That area is about 100' above sea level with McHenry at sea level about 6 miles away and with clear air you can see 12 miles from that elevation.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I never heard of Marines defending the Fort itself.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.