Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't get drawn for any of my preferred tags this year but wanted to go elk hunting anyway. Put in for a CO cow that took zero points because my hunting buddy's son had no points. We all got second draw tags and left town after work on Oct 25 for CO. We got to town Thurs AM, set camp and proceeded to scout. Didn't find elk in a couple of likely places but I'd hunted there a couple times in the past and had a game plan for the first couple days.

Bluebird weather showed up Sat PM and stayed till today. Temps were 15-25 in the AM, 50+ in the PM. Elk weren't moving much - first and last light and not moving far. Turned up a spike bull on Day 1 but nothing else despite covering 30+ miles in 4 days. I wasn't finding elk up high but my buddy's son kept finding sign not far from camp. Spent Tues and Weds at lower elevation and started finding sign. Tonight a weather front is coming in and it seemed like animals were moving in early PM. I swung up higher in the watershed in the AM, found nothing again (slow learner) and rolled down lower. Started seeing animal movement about lunch - several deer and fresh elk tracks. This area is mainly black timber with aspen patches - good still hunting terrain which is my favorite way to elk hunt.

I got cell signal about 1:00 and told my buddies animals were moving ahead of the front. I decided to swing down next to the creek and still hunt toward a small secluded meadow next to the creek that I found on Tues. Thought I'd spend the PM still hunting toward the meadow and hang out till dark. These elk seem to like to appear at last legal hours so expected another long walk out in the dark.

Worked my way a couple hundred yards and saw 3 elk trotting to my left. I was a bit perplexed because I had the wind and was sure they hadn't seen me. I took 3-4 quick steps to see if they stopped and give me a shot. I looked to my right and 4 more were watching the other 3 run down the hill. At 50 yards dead broadside, I was fairly confident of the outcome.

A bit of weirdness, she ran uphill with the others for ~ 50 yards. I lost site of them. I went to the shot, found blood, and stated following a good blood trail. At 50 yards the bleeder hung a sharp left. I knew what that meant <G>. She went another 30 yards and was down when I got to her. She picked up her head when I approached and sent one through her neck. All over in less than 30 secs.

This is my first elk with a mono bullet - and won't be my last. Specs: Kimber MT, 308 win, 150 etip, 46.5 gr Varget, doing 2880. Impact velocity was likely north of 2800 at 50 yards. I found the bullet against the far side hide after going through the near shoulder. I like 2 holes but this worked as its supposed to. I have a Pa deer hunt coming up and will use this bullet/load to see how it handles deers. I'm guessing it will work grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. Recovered a 7mm 150 etip that looked identical to yours

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great job, that should eat well!

At least that bullet didn't over penetrate! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awesomeness

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That worked. The 308 is plenty. Congrats btw!
S.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job! Plenty of goods vittles too laugh

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Bill!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
eggsalent! well done. glad the bullet did its job when given the opportunity. great mushroom.

I have no experience with E-tips (and not much with Barnes). how was loading? easy to find loads it liked?

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BG - yep for both bullets. Jump them a bit and use Varget in the 308 grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deal Bill. I've taken a few elk with mono's - my opinion is you'll get a faster drop with a more frangilbe bullet, but I do get not wanting lead in meat. And regardless, dead is dead no matter a few extra yards.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice job!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got cell signal about 1:00 and told my buddies animals were moving ahead of the front. I decided to swing down next to the creek and still hunt toward a small secluded meadow next to the creek that I found on Tues. Thought I'd spend the PM still hunting toward the meadow and hang out till dark. These elk seem to like to appear at last legal hours so expected another long walk out in the dark.
I've seen it many times this time of year. Right after sunset a herd will appear coming out of the timber into the open. It's usually too late to get to them. Be there at 1st light the next morning because they'll usually still be there.

I don't know how many times I've found a bullet under the hide on the far side. It's been a lot. I once saw a slo-mo video of an elk being shot that showed how much the hide will stretch without penetration. It was impressive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for sharing. That should be some delicious meat. While I have not used E-Tips, I have used Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX with great success. I had a 139 gr. GMX shot from my 7mm-08 penetrate 3/4 the length of a decent size whitetail deer from a frontal shot, which showed me that it would work fine on an elk. I hope to get that opportunity one day.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats Bill! Man I love good elk hunts!

Looks like the combo worked great, as if there was any doubt!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Congrats. Thanks for the story. Mono's work.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Scott - that gun is experienced, I didn't have a doubt!

If I was looking for a lightweight mountain rifle, a guy could do much worse than a Kimber MT 308 shooting a 150 mono at 2900. The ballistics are surprisingly flat and carries 2000 ft/sec out to 450. If you buy 1800 ft/sec as Nosler and Barnes indicate, that load/bullet will carry you out to 550. I'm in the 2000 ft/sec club for adequate expansion on those monos. With a NF SHV 3-10×42 sitting in Talleys, my rifle weighs 6.5 lbs. Recoil is surprisingly low for that load combo.

I was never a fan of the 308, at least until I started talking to Brad and actually started using one. A plain Jane 270 using 129-130 monos shoots flatter but not a 0.277/150 driven at non-Re26 vels. A 7-08/140 be almost exactly the same as the 308/150 at least at distances inside 500. I dig the Kimber MT for these applications.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I bought one of the 7-08 Kimber MT's cause of you guys. I haven't set it up yet, but I wanted it for my light gun for days I know I am trampsing into new areas when I don't know where the day will take me, or I am just being lazy and don't wanna carry my 8lb Mashburn.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice kill! Thanks for sharing!

Todd

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Scott - if you get "bored" with that POS Kimber 7-08, let me know, I know a guy..... whistle

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
Scott - if you get "bored" with that POS Kimber 7-08, let me know, I know a guy..... whistle

HA! Will do. It's my first one, but danged if it doesn't feel pretty nice. Hoping to get it scoped and set up for deer hunting here shortly.

If it sucks, you'll be first on my list!

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

629 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,933
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.