Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Long and ultimately probably not interesting to a lot of people but I enjoyed it for the history and some of his talk of what they used, why etc. Interesting talk about keeping it wet, even in dusty environments. He also, obviously holds both Springfield Armory and Caspian in very high regard. Caspian especially for their frames/slides they were providing Delta armorers (and later SA).

Me

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Larry Vickers. He has gone through some tough times lately, I wish him the best in recovery.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm generally a Larry fan too. Would love to take one of his 1911 smithing classes. In the video he mentioned that Delta was shooting 1m rounds of 45acp. That's nuts. Have to believe he knows a thing or two about the platform.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like him too.................but for the most part, the stuff he gets & the support from SA & Caspian are not readily available to you & me.

MM

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I like him too.................but for the most part, the stuff he gets & the support from SA & Caspian are not readily available to you & me.

MM

Caspian big/small enough - advanced enough to offer bespoke metallurgy for small runs of frames? He talks specifically about their strength. The SA part, IIRC in the video - was about team guys buying off the rack SA's for him to build them pistols on as well.

I get I'm not getting SA support/pricing he got from their custom shop - my impression tho was that they used their parts, basically off the shelf and were happy with them.

Me

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
IIRC, Caspian gets their castings from Pine Tree Castings (a Ruger subsidiary). They probably ARE bull-strong, whether it's needed for a 1911, I can't say.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good video clip. Vickers obviously knows his way around a 1911.

I remember reading a Ross Seyfried article, he recommended running 1911’s wet enough at least for range/competition use that the oil would spray on his glasses for the first few rounds fired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
IIRC, Caspian gets their castings from Pine Tree Castings (a Ruger subsidiary). They probably ARE bull-strong, whether it's needed for a 1911, I can't say.

So are those castings strong?
As strong as forged?

AND THEY ARE OFF!!!
😉😉😁😁😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

As strong as forged?

AND THEY ARE OFF!!!
😉😉😁😁😁
LOL.

How about MIM parts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal

MM

Caspian big/small enough - advanced enough to offer bespoke metallurgy for small runs of frames? He talks specifically about their strength. The SA part, IIRC in the video - was about team guys buying off the rack SA's for him to build them pistols on as well.

I get I'm not getting SA support/pricing he got from their custom shop - my impression tho was that they used their parts, basically off the shelf and were happy with them.

Nothing at all wrong with any parts from SA, but really, I see no difference if compared to Colt or Wilson or Harrison or Ed Brown or ????? so long as they're not MIM.

Smith & Kimber use a lot of MIM.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

As strong as forged?

AND THEY ARE OFF!!!
😉😉😁😁😁
LOL.

How about MIM parts?

Holy crap.
Full flamethrower!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm glad he mentioned stainless on stainless galling problem. More of a problem with 10mm 1911's all stainless.

Mentioned here a few days ago in another thread. \/\/\/

This might seem ridiculous to some here, but It shows it's ugly head on "some" Stainless 10mm 1911's.

Galling becomes a problem between slide and frame on some brands when they are new. Stainless on stainless galling is real. Use a good lubricate on the rails until the gun gets a good break-in. If it's bad, you might even have to use RIG gun grease for awhile on the rails. A little goes a long way. Especially in cold weather.

...and run them wet.

Vickers is a good man.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do not worry the galling problem occurred in 1970s to early 80s affecting companies like AMT. Stainless 1911s made now do not have this problem.
There is no need to compromise by settling for 10mm in 1911. There are numerous choices now: S&W, Glock, XD, SiG (with SAO action option?), Tanfoglio.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
At least with Ruger or Caspian frames, you can get plunger tubes "cast in" and they can't get loose or fall off. It's not a common, serious issue, but it does happen from time to time. I kinda like that aspect. I have a Ruger 1911, it's a solid, good gun, but frankly, I like my Springfields better.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Ruger 1911, it's a solid, good gun, but frankly, I like my Springfields better.

And why is that?

MM

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

As strong as forged?

AND THEY ARE OFF!!!
😉😉😁😁😁

I'd ask - does it have to be? Taking Larry at his word and I generally would - 1m rounds of 45ACP shot by Delta in 1911's (unknown if that's a year or what) and he can't remember a single Caspian frame crack or issue. Could it possibly "not crack" more? I don't know.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Ruger 1911, it's a solid, good gun, but frankly, I like my Springfields better.

And why is that?

MM

Either the Springfields shoot better, or I shoot them better, one or the other. The Ruger actually has a better trigger and sights than the Springfield's triggers, too. It shouldn't matter a bit, and the better trigger and sights should make the Ruger the better shooter, but for whatever mystifying reasons, that is not the case. As far as that goes, I've got a couple of Colts that are humbled by the Springers, too. And a couple of RIAs that humble the Springers................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal

As strong as forged?

AND THEY ARE OFF!!!
😉😉😁😁😁

I'd ask - does it have to be? Taking Larry at his word and I generally would - 1m rounds of 45ACP shot by Delta in 1911's (unknown if that's a year or what) and he can't remember a single Caspian frame crack or issue. Could it possibly "not crack" more? I don't know.

I'm guessing you aren't tuned into the "Cast vs Forged" debate?
Or the gnashing of teeth Lemming referred to with his MIM comment?

Mostly BS. Virtue signalling crap from old nitwits who fight any change.

It worse than Stihl vs Husqvarna.
Cast vs Forged can go back and forth.
There are caveats......

At least with saws,
Husky is easily the best.
Even though Stihl is darn good!😁😁😁😁😁😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thing you're around to keep everybody straightened out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or the gnashing of teeth Lemming referred to with his MIM comment?

Mostly BS. Virtue signalling crap from old nitwits who fight any change.
Smith & Wesson MIM safety..................still say MIM's being cheap ass is bullschitt?

I'm gonna call BS on your comment.............I work in the metal industry & there's no way that MIM has the strength & wear resistance of tool steel & forged steel.

Does it work? Yeah, more often than not, but in hard used applications, no, not compared to machined tool steel or forged parts.

And you can bet the farm on Vickers not using any MIM parts on the modified / reworked / updated 1911's.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,197 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.